Looking to interview owners | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking to interview owners

I purchased my 2000 explorer in Feb. I use it to service marine electronics up and down the Mississippi river and the Gulf of Mexico. It is just what I need in the way of room for tools, parts and test equipment. Nothing smaller will do for me. All I hear is that the new hybrids are the answer to everything. The added price doesn't justify what is gained in fuel economy and I haven't heard anybody address the subject of when those batteries will need replacement, and they will indeed fail in the future. How much will it cost to replace them?????????????????

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

THIS HAPPEND BEFOR I WAS BORN ..IF ANYBODY THINKS OUR GOVERMENT IS FAIR TO US .YOUR VERY WRONG THIS ARTICAL IS A SCRATCH TO THE SURFACE OF THE GOVERMENTS ABUSE/MIS-USE TO ITS PEOPLE.

Oil Industry Suppressed Plans for 200-MPG Car

The original blueprints for a device that could have revolutionized the motor car have been discovered in the secret compartment of a tool box. A carburetor that would allow a car to travel 200 miles on a gallon of fuel caused oil stocks to crash when it was announced by its Canadian inventor Charles Nelson Pogue in the 1930s.

But the carburetor was never produced and, mysteriously, Pogue went overnight from impoverished inventor to the manager of a successful factory making oil filters for the motor industry. Ever since, suspicion has lingered that oil companies and car manufacturers colluded to bury Pogue’s invention.

Now a retired Cornish mechanic has enlisted the help of the University of Plymouth to rebuild Pogue’s revolutionary carburetor, known as the Winnipeg, from blueprints he found hidden beneath a sheet of plywood in the box. The controversial plans once caused panic among oil companies and rocked the Toronto Stock Exchange when tests carried out on the carburetor in the 1930s proved that it worked.

FALLOW THIS LINK BELOW ITS TO THE ACTUAL BLUEPRINTS OF THIS GUYS WORK.... REALLY INTERESTING STUFF

http://www.rexresearch.com/pogue/1pogue.htm#2026

Maximis, I also have heard that. Just think of it, if somebody did invent such a carb, the money offered by just one oil company to buy the patent, would stager your mind. Not to mention if they all got together and bought it. It wouldn't see the light of day and public would still have to pay these high prices. I heard that Exxon Mobil posted a $10 billion profit in just the first 3 months of this year. And it is no wonder. This is what our government should be looking into, but they are being bought off as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rick said:
Sort of a modern version of Kenndy's quest to land on the moon.

point to note: kennedy said to send a man to moon and BRING HIM BACK SAFELY. a new energy source would be great only if it doesn't shoot ourselves in the foot elsewhere.

I actually just sold my econobox and bought a used Explorer today. I got sick of the monthly payments and high insurance costs. Besides, I can't exactly fit a mountain bike in a Hyundai.

I still love my truck just as much. The prices haven't altered my habits too much, other than me being a little easier on the gas pedal. I'd buy another Explorer in a second though - gas prices won't stop that. Mine has been nothing but a rock for me. I'll pay a little more in gas to drive a truck I love. A few years down the road, however, I may consider buying a hybrid or another high mileage vehicle to be my daily driver - especially if I find myself commuting more than I do currently. I plan to modify my truck a lot, and that will only drive the gas mileage down. It would be an impractical daily driver, IMO.

Western Australia unleaded petrol price currently $1.20 per litre, Diesel $1.24, and up north as high as $2.50 per litre.

Filling up the explorer is a bit painful but would I trade it in on a 4 Cylinder Econo box No WAY!! It just has to many benefit’s and I also enjoy 4wding and what would I save by driving a smaller car $10-$20 per week then you look at what you loose by trading in the explorer and it is just not worth it.

If I was not driving the explorer I would be driving a XR8 falcon (Australian Sport’s car 5.4Ltr V8), Fuel is just a part of life, and I do a shi* load of driving so I may as well drive something I like and I can enjoy, If people want to drive a small car that is fine with me, as long as they don’t unload all this fuel saving and enviro stuff on me.

Fact is we have about 25 years of sustainable oil left and if you think driving a small economical car is going to solve that problem you are wrong, so what you may drag it out to 30 years well done, and for what we are doing to the environment from Industry, Logging, land fill, ETC what car you drive is the lest of your concerns.

The sooner the government’s pull their heads out of their ass and look at this issue the better, FACT, Oil is not going to be around fore much longer and we need a alternative or we will be right up the creek and remember Gas is not the only product of Crude oil.

Think about it..... Someone from the New York Times asks us for input and opinions on our SUVs......

Do you really think that he/she would use any information received from this thread in a positive light toward SUV usage? Heck no, bits and pieces of these replies will be used out of context to support yet another call to ban SUVs altogether.

There is No Way I will reply to this thread and give this yahoo - with his already preset opinion and an agenda against SUVs - fodder to misquote and lie with.

I think he already has enough data from this site to come away with a pretty good article which would in effect say that Explorer owners don't give a f*** what they pay for fuel as long as they have some to put in their trucks. That's what I get from this thread. If that's the truth what's wrong with printing it?

Personally I would rather spend my money elsewhere. At this rate with the vehicles we currently own and the distances we now have to travel I might as well be holding 20s up in the air and lighting them on fire.

I am really embaressed by this thread. Rick said we need to cut our dependance on foreign oil, while his wife commutes 100 miles a day in a V-8 mustang. Don't you think she should be driving something a little more economical that distance daily?

WE need to stop saying the someone needs to do something about the problem, gas and the enviorment, and start living it. You fools can blame someone else, this thread brings to mind exactly how wasteful we americans are.

Sure I drive an explorer an a daily basis. I commute 12 miles a day and fuel up once every couple of weeks.

Venting off.........

gundrum said:
I am really embaressed by this thread. Rick said we need to cut our dependance on foreign oil, while his wife commutes 100 miles a day in a V-8 mustang. Don't you think she should be driving something a little more economical that distance daily?

This is how it worked for us. We bought a Mach 1 (trading in a 50MPG VW Golf TDI) when fuel prices had seemed to stabilize and fuel was affordable. At the time we bought the Mustang my wife only had a 10 mile drive to work. Then we had to move, so we moved out to the boonies where we could get the most house and property for the money. The commute for my wife became much longer, but fuel was still affordable. Since we have moved fuel prices have risen nearly $1 a gallon. That's a BIG difference when you have to commute long distances.

Now comes the dilemma. Do we rush to sell the Mustang and buy an econo-box or try to wait out the current fuel situation. My answer is to wait it out until we just can't afford the fuel anymore. By then the Mustang will be ready to trade anyway. I have thought about buying an econobox for my wife to drive everyday and keeping the Mustang as just a weekend driver, but any savings in fuel would be offset by having to pay insurance and registration on another vehicle

Oh and BTW, the EPA sticker on the Mach 1 claims 28MPG highway. Trouble is we get NOWHERE near that. I have never seen an EPA sticker so far off from what reality is. When we bought the car we were under the impression that we would be getting decent fuel economy from it. I should have known 13second quarter miles and 28MPG sounded too good to be true. At least it really runs 13s :burnout:

BTW, what any of us drive today has nothing to do with the fact that we ("we" being our nations scientific community) should be looking for alternative energy sources that do not require us to "fill up" with anything other than solar energy. I'm convinced that given enough time and money "we" could come up with collectors and storage devices that would give us the range and power that we are now used to with our petroleum fueled vehicles. The trouble is there is no incentive to develop the technology.

Rick said:
...Oh and BTW, the EPA sticker on the Mach 1 claims 28MPG highway. Trouble is we get NOWHERE near that. I have never seen an EPA sticker so far off from what reality is. When we bought the car we were under the impression that we would be getting decent fuel economy from it. I should have known 13second quarter miles and 28MPG sounded too good to be true. At least it really runs 13s :burnout:

Rick, my Mach gets around 28 mpg on the highway. Last time we went to Philly with it (175 miles each waym 2 adults, 1 kid), I averaged 28.2 mpg for the trip. I end up getting around 22 around town, and if I'm really bad :D I get around 19. Wonder if you have a dirty MAF or if your a/f ratio is off and it's running rich....

Hey, whaddya know...6k posts.... :confused:

I cleaned the MAF last time I changed the airfilter. The motor seems to run just fine, it's just always got crappy mileage.

Warmer air = worse mileage?
Karl

I wanted an explorer because my Accord couln't tow and wasn't great for skiing. I got 20 MPG in the Accord and 19 in my Explorer. My biggest regret is my explorer isn't made by Honda. I drive no differently now than when gas was 99 cents a gallon.

“yet another call to ban SUVs altogether.”

Oh good so Australia is not the only country with these Dic* Heads running around saying that 4WD’s should be outlawed.

Not a call to ban the SUV, at least on my part. I own my explorer because I tow campers and boats and I do need 4wd from time to time. Lets face it if I wanted a more capable off road vehicle instead of a more comfortable family vehicle I would have bought a jeep.

What I am saying is that WE the consumer drive the market.Unless WE force, by our purchases, the manufacture to develop something different nothing will ever change. Everyone worrys about the enviorment till it raises the cost or otherwise negatively impacts them.

Just like buying American.......Everyone preaches it and then marches to Wally World and buys Chinese goods. American brake rotors $100 or chinese $25. 25 bucks sounds really good.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back