[M5OD-R1] Did I screw myself? and other questions about M5OD-R1 transmissions. (pics) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

[M5OD-R1] Did I screw myself? and other questions about M5OD-R1 transmissions. (pics)

Spoofed

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 4.0 4x4
My truck is a 1991 4.0L V6 Explorer 4x4

Last year I replaced the flywheel, clutch pad, and slave cylinder. A few weeks later, the transmission got stuck in gear so I limped it home and parked it. I've sold all my other trucks and I started working on my Explorer again.

So I found a transmission on Craigslist that said it was from a 4 cylinder Ranger, but the label F17A matched mine and it was cheap so I bought it. What I didn't notice was under F17A there's another code of RB on the original and KB on the one I bought.

The bell housings are totally different. The bolt pattern on the KB doesn't match the pattern on my RB and I've determined there's no way to use it on my engine.

My main question is whether I can use the shafts from the KB and swap them into my old RB tranny.
If not, I'm hoping maybe I can at least use the hubs to repair mine.

I'm also wondering if anyone has run into this problem with the M5OD-R1 and knows what these metal fragments I found came from.

If I can't use the parts from the tranny I bought I'm gonna have to resell it to buy the rebuild kit for my old tranny. The one I bought looks brand new, not even a hint of oil in it. Looks like it was rebuilt and never used.

Here's a link to the full album: http://imgur.com/a/51p8n

The fragments I found in the old tranny:

IBEqFnl.jpg

Please help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can't answer your question, but here's a couple links you can look through for possible help: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250083 and http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248249

Thanks. Yeah both of those threads have been my 'go-to' for info on this tranny but I can't find anything specific about these two versions. I'm hoping the internals are compatible and the version just relates to the bell housing.

I know I could check it out by taking these both apart, but I don't wanna take that new tranny apart and lower the value on it just to find out it won't work.

I can't say for sure without part number crosses and such, but as far as I know the internals are exactly the same between those variations of the M5 tranny. The only differences in them being the bell housing bolt pattern. The only engine patterns that are close enough to swap between are the 2.9 and 4.0.

I would not think twice about using the two to build a good trans, its just a little more work. Post your results here if you decide to tear into it.

The 2.9/3.0 and 4.0 versions of the M5R1 had different gear ratios. The shafts and gears have different tooth counts. I don't think that is going to work unless you replace everything in it, and you might not be happy with the resulting gear ratios.

So I think I'm gonna go ahead and use all the bearings from the transmission I bought and rebuild my old tranny. I've nearly got my tranny pulled apart but I'm stuck on a bearing on the main shaft. I think I'm gonna have to get this one pulled at a shop. I've got all the other bearings off so this is literally the last thing in my way.

I'm gonna make a video of the whole teardown and rebuild since I haven't seen any complete videos for this. Wish me luck!

y4DDuOFl.jpg

This is the bearing I'm stuck on. That hub is the one that was stuck in gear. One of the dogs was stuck and was causing it to jam. One I got that seated again and tried to turn the shaft it felt very tight in there. Either the inner bearing is busted or there is some shrapnel in it.

Those dogs and inner bearings are pretty inexpensive to replace. As long as the gears are in good condition, it shouldn't be too expensive to get it going again.

See my notes about the bearing removal in your other thread.

Thanks to advice from rb142 I was able to get that last bearing off by whacking on the driveshaft with a wood block.

Here is the trouble making bearing:

sVa6Prwl.jpg

And here is the hub and the key that popped out of spot:

FWZK1fjl.jpg

That key has a gouge on it from trying to wrestle it back into gear I guess.

Notice anything else weird about that hub though? The spring doesn't hold all of the keys in place! Every picture I've seen of other m5r1 hubs has the hole for the spring drilled right next to one of the keys so that the spring holds all three in place. In fact, all of the other hubs on this tranny are like that.

No wonder this key fell out! Although, I'm surprised it lasted like this for over twenty years.

I checked some diagrams and it looks like the hubs from the other tranny should work in this one. Tomorrow I'll be tearing that other tranny down to salvage all the best parts from it.

Yes, that spring should be holding all three keys. I assume the end of the spring snapped off ... in which case you should be looking for the piece in the bottom of the case.

Salvaging the parts from your other transmission should work fine. But if not, you can find replacements pretty inexpensively from various places online.

Here is a hub I had on the shelf, it shows the hole for the spring. I can faintly see what looks like a hole for the spring in your picture next to the key at the top of the picture. So it looks like the spring broke right at the bend for the hole, the small piece might still be in there.

20150320_122447.jpg

Yep you guys were right. I took a closer look at it and the springs snapped on both sides where it goes into the hole.

Back