Manual BW 13-54 swap info needed | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Manual BW 13-54 swap info needed

Ok I know there are many threads on this but I have searched and searched and I can't find exactly what I am looking for. Here is what I want to do. I have the electronic push button T-case in my 93 Sport with the Mazda 5 speed tranny and I would like to convert it to the manual BW 13-54 T-case. I know it has been done by other members so I know it can be done.

What I need to know is What exactly do I need to do this and if you have part numbers that would help alot. What is the dificulty of this swap? Will it bolt right up or will I need to modify somethings? Do I need to get a new speedo sensor? Also do any of the rangers come with this T-case? and If so can it be used in a 93 Sport?

Thanks for your Info and If any moderators feel this needs to be deleted because it has been asked so many times feel free to do so.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you have to replace the T-case. They dont have the same case on them and some internal parts are different.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

i was just gonna ask that :(

thanks,
I was afraid there was no easy way.
I guess I will just keep my spare shift motor and go back to the trails for now until I come across a deal.

kris - where did you ge tthe shift linkage? would that be just off of an explorer?

mudd***** - did you have to disconnect the fuse for the 4x4 system or did you leave the wiring under the cab?

i have access to a 13-54 tcase for $200 out of a ranger. i plan on hopping on this.

yep it is the Just a stock 91-94 Explorer part from the Dealer.

New Tranmission tranfercase boot. (the Stock one will not Work)

im not sure i know what this is? its not the shifter boot that covers the shifter on the tranny hump?

i hope to swap this weekend if i get all the parts. ill be picking up the tcase tommorro.

okay i got the linkage the t-case and the shifter for $200 and the guy said if the plate that goe son the tranny hump is there i can have it. it is out of a 91 ranger. is there any reason that all of these wont work on the ex? is the lincage shorter or longer or something?

the big question on my mind is: will i have to drop the tranny? it looks awesfully tight in there.

what else will i need. i dropped the case and took a a gander last weekend so i know whats in involved in taking it on and off its the access to the linkage that looks like it will suck. hopefully i can get it in and operational by monday morning.

what problems should i anticipate?

You will not have to drop the tranny, The Plate for the ranger should be the Same that is if the Ranger you get it from is an Auto just like yours. You boot is rubber boot that covers the Shifter to make the interior look nice.it wil screw into the plate over the Carpet that you had to cut then all you need is a knob to the Shifter.

thank you so much Kris! your info has been what i needed. i have been chasing the bug in my sstem for a while now. first i thought it was the tcase becaseu i had a grinding noise, then i determined that itwas the front end so i dropped the diffy and check ed teh gears, i found a broken vacume line and the diaphram (vacume actuated front end:( ) so then i went back to the tcase, had the codes read by a mechanic as i thought that the gem was it, also pulledthe shift motor seemed to be working fine.... so i said to hell with it saw this thread called the junkyard and tommoroo will be flying high as i do this install.

looks like i might be the first second generation model with a manual shift tcase.

thanks again. you ever make it to florida i got the beer, a grill, and good place to wheel.:)

One more thing, and I don't think this has been mentioned. Kris didn't the manual tranny and the automatic have different spline counts? I know the manual is 25 spline.

Or was the problem the 2wd and 4wd trannys had different spline counts?? I remember you had to swap output shafts on your tranny.

the donor ranger is supposedly an auotmatic. i didnt ask what motor or tranny it had.

i plan on taking pics of the procedure and may be if this is successful it can be a valid mod for second and late gen explorers.

Rick,

The Auto and Manual 4x4 Tranny have the same Spline count. the 2wd tranny have a different spline count than the 4x4 tranny.

Oh yeah one more thing you might want to pick up the Front Drive shaft off that Ranger too. I think the 95+ explorer have a different output on the T-case to the Front but front what I can Tell you can Just swap the Drive Shaft from a pre 95+ Ranger/Explorer

thanks. looking at my haynes manual it look slike th eoutput is th esame. it is a spicer u joint but i will double check for sure.
thanks again.

BUCHVILLEMAN, I am not far behind. I plan on doing this swap within a month or two.

good luck,
mines on indefinite hold as my #2 tranny went this morning. so im either looking at a rebuild or a 3rd tranny. the only real issue that i didnt get a resolve onthe man shift BW is the speedo coonection looks al little different. on th e44-05 its all one piece and on the 13+54 there is the cable and the speed sensor is seperate. but i do believe that it isnt an inconquerable feat.
let us know how it goes. if i can be of any help let me know. i have quite a few hours invested in this at this point.

Thanks for the encouragement. Yes I too am a little worried about the speed sensor but I was told by others that it would work. I'm gonna probably pick the case up in a week or two. I'll keep you posted on how it goes. One question, are you gonna do the install yourself? It doesn't look too tough.

i plan on doing it myself. i have pulled my tcase before to look in it. basically unplug it, take off the drive shafts, and like 6-8 bolts. when you put it back on follow the toque sequence in your haynes manual. use the rear ouput shaft to line up the spline of the tranny output and tcase input. i used a floor jack and had an old tire and lowered onto the tire then slid it out. you might need a second set of hands to get it on. its really not too bad.

well if anyone needs a manual T-case i will have mine for sale in 3 months it's a manual T-case with shift linkage and all it's coming up on 100,000 , it has been well maintaned im asking 450.00

if interested email me c91x@hotmail.com

?

i two have been thinking about this swap, as i two hate my pushbutton rip out and throw under the tires ar 60mph freakin eletronic no good peice of crap 4x4 system,, *takes a breath* anyway,,,,,,
? is,, will the 4x4 and low range lights on the dash still fuctoin with this swap? does the wiring for these indicators plug right in?
Thanx:exp: :shoot:

If you took the time to figure out the Dash Lights it would work. I did not spend the time doing it. So the Dash lights on my Navajo do not work.

Back