• Register Today It's free!

cargo bed covers

stylin99

Reaction score
City, State
Gastonia, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'08 5.0 Coyote Adrenalin
I decided to fab up some plastic panels to replace those unusable cargo hooks on the side of the bed. I've seen the billet aluminum ones out there but they're too bling bling for me, and don't work with the monotone color scheme of the Adrenalin. So these blend a little better with the bed rails.

Pardon the finger holding it on right now, I'm testing some automotive adhesives from 3M to find one that works well. Almost there...

Honest opinions welcome.:)

cargocovers1.jpg

cargocovers2.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

that looks good! what material did you use, because it looks like it matches the bed plastic really good

Thanks.

It's a secret! :D

Looks like a very nice job. Perfect cut. ABS sheets? I bet you could sell those.

LIKE IT, come on, share!!!!!!!

Integrates nicely with the bed rail. Like it but think I like the Ford billet replacements better (which I can no longer find).

Nice job though.

One more thing, I'm not confident in adhesives on vehicles that sit out in the sun. Just like the use of velcro whose hooks wear out, adhesives don't seem to hold up well under weather, even the 3M's. JMO!

Found some good emblem adhesive, but fighting with it to make it work. Will try again tomorrow.

Excellent Job!

Where did you find the Material?

Integrates nicely with the bed rail. Like it but think I like the Ford billet replacements better (which I can no longer find).

Nice job though.

One more thing, I'm not confident in adhesives on vehicles that sit out in the sun. Just like the use of velcro whose hooks wear out, adhesives don't seem to hold up well under weather, even the 3M's. JMO!

While I would usually agree with that on my 05 Mustang GT I used only 3m tape to hold my 1/4 window louvers in place. Car didnt have a garage and they never even budged.

Insert looks great, I would have confidence in 3m products!

cool I'd like to see the finished product ! I'll take a set :)

they used a type of 3m glue to put on the trim on the sports and let me tell u it was a pita to get off with a good heat gun, still have some residue left in the fenders... so there is stuff out there that will hold just gotta find what works

Here's the finished product. All 6 are on. They are a PITA to cut by hand, so lots of them went into the trash to get 6 perfect ones. I "might" consider making these for those that are interested, if I can master the cutting process, and after I test the adhesive on a road test. Would include the panels, the hardware underneath, and glue of course.

I'm waiting for the adhesive to cure for 24 hours before I test it on the road.

I have tons of plastic laying around that I use for my other products, so the material isn't a problem.

cargodelete1.jpg

cargodelete2.jpg

I would probably use 3M double stick tape. Thin foam core, most emblems are installed with it.

The 3M adhesive I'm using is specifically designed for this type of application so we'll see how it does. The tape will have a small thickness that will push them out from the bed I think. The 1/8" plastic thickness is a perfect fit.

looks nice!

Looks much better than those hooks! Now if I see you around town I'll know who you are!!
FWIW, silicone RTV has some pretty amazing strength. You know all of that pretty diamond plate side paneling on fire trucks? Attached with silicone, and it isn't fun to try and remove!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think I'd just use some nice allen head bolts or something to screw them down so I can put a hook back on if I need to but paint the plates to match.

So what plastic are you using to make them ???? :)

Back