FROADER

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Huntington Beach, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Eddie
I've had this for a couple of months now, and I'm loving it!

I decided I wanted a nicer/more reliable vehicle as a daily and occasional wheeler/camper. If you don't know what a GX is, technically it's a Toyota Land Cruiser Prado 120 series (sold globally except the states), but it's basically a nicer 4th gen V8 4Runner with more headroom, which also shares the same platform as the FJ Cruiser.

I was contemplating buying something stock and "building" it myself, but I found a gem that was almost completely built and only had 115k miles. This not only saved me money, it saved me time with not having to wait the current lead times for aftermarket parts. I added up all of the parts the previous owner installed (not all listed below) and it came to just over $15k!

2006 Lexus GX470
4.7L V8 117k miles
2.5" Radflo coil-overs and rear shocks
Total Chaos UCAs
Southern Style Off-Road front/rear bumpers and roofrack
Metal Tech sliders and rear lower links
RCI rear diff skid
Warn winch
Factor 55 Fairlead and Prolink
34x10.5R17 BFG KO2s
FNW wheels

Northstar Group 31 AGM battery
Tuscon 240amp alternator
Extra 12v outlets around the vehicle
Upgraded headlights
PIAA fogs
Heis light bar

Things I've added:
Rear storage/sleep platform build from @overlanderwoodworks on instagram - you should check him out if you're near Orange County, CA
Ironman 4x4 awning
Magnaflow Exhaust
Windshield wipers

Future upgrades:
35x12.5s
Nitro 4.88 gears and a rear locker - Possibly upgrade to the 8.2 rear axle with factory E-Locker, if I can find one at a decent price.
Add a gas can holder to the swing-out
New double-din head unit with reverse camera

CJI_7590.jpg
rear.jpg
647F5A4E-4E42-4B52-96B8-ADFCCCDE5B45.JPG
Fish_Creek_111421.jpg

IMG_1667.jpg

Last edited:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Congratulations. I recently drove a stock GX 470 and was very impressed with how smooth it drove. It felt very solid. Having just 117k miles is just breaking in one of these.

I’ve been seeing your posts of it on fb, it’s a real good looking rig!

Just buy a 8.2 center section from chase at east coast gear supply with factory, arb or even ox locker tell him I sent you lol

You lucky dog! That is a wicked rig! I wish the wife’s FJ had the Lexus v8 ooooh la la and I wish we had the 8.2 rear axle in 07 the FJ has the 8.0 and it is the weak link
FJ has 240k trouble free miles on it now these things are tough! Really like the looks of that rig! Make sure you keep those
Metal tech links greased up

Congrats and thanks for sharing!
We will only own ford or yota here they have earned the respect!

Just buy a 8.2 center section from chase at east coast gear supply with factory, arb or even ox locker tell him I sent you lol

You lucky dog! That is a wicked rig! I wish the wife’s FJ had the Lexus v8 ooooh la la and I wish we had the 8.2 rear axle in 07 the FJ has the 8.0 and it is the weak link
FJ has 240k trouble free miles on it now these things are tough! Really like the looks of that rig! Make sure you keep those
Metal tech links greased up

Congrats and thanks for sharing!
We will only own ford or yota here they have earned the respect!
Thanks, Jami.

I didn't realize the FJ ever came with the 8.0. The 8.2 upgrade (if it even happens) is a long way off, unless my work bonus is much more hefty than usual. These tires have a lot of tread left and I don't want to buy new until I actually need to.

The 4.7 V8 likes to drink, especially not being re-geared with 34s, but it's a nice smooth ride. It still gets better mpg than the V10 van, so I'm good with it. :)

It's funny how people who don't know what it is, react when I tell them it's a Lexus. Not a lot of Lexus folk (around here) get them dirty or even modify them at all.

Yes the FJ which weighs in at like 5200 and has a 260hp v6 still uses the Toyota 8.0 until 2010 that is

I’ve been looking for a 8.2 for a couple of years now for a good price
Problem is we have all new brakes wheel bearings Yukon 4.56 and arb locker would have to start all over again!!

The 8.2 is like twice as strong though so eventually we will

People who don't know that car is a Lexus (fancy Toyota) just don't know cars. I've had people call my Explorer a Jeep.

That rig is set up very well for what you want to do with it. Daily driver that can go out into the wilderness as far as you want, within reason. A sand anchor, tree strap and a pair of traction boards or mats will get you out of almost everything. I have been looking at one of those satellite texting/call for help devices, but there are too many choices. With all the solo off-roading, camping and hiking I do it could end up being a life saving device.

Next time we start planning a Mohave Road trip, I will let you know the dates we are thinking of doing. We usually do at least five days including getting there and back.

These are just Fancy 4Runners. All of there suspension is the same. This a nice rig that is ready to go.

Let me know when you're ready to do gears and I can hook you up through work. We're in the process of getting Radflo to sell finally too.

I'll let you know about any trails runs I hear about. We do a lot of business in these trucks

Back