OBD codes p2104 and p2111 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

OBD codes p2104 and p2111

coal miner

Reaction score
I have these 2 codes showin up on my scanner, my explorer will not even hit when i try to start it, p2104 is TAC system forced idle, and p2111 is TAC system stuck open, ive took the throttle body off and cleaned it, replaced the throttle position sensor, anyone else know of anything else it could be before i go buy a new throttle body

THANKS

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what year, model/trim, & engine? 2wd, 4wd or AWD?

Some Ex/Monty's have a traditional IAC which is a small cylinder attached just after the TB on the intake or intake elbow.

'04-'05 4.6L have a drive-by-wire (DBW) TB. these have the IAC built into the TB.

we need more info as to what you have, mileage, etc.

Rob

roughly 10 posts down on the main page.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=313893

very common needing a good cleaning & fresh gasket.

its not the TB itself its how it gets air to idle... Throttle Air Control or Idle Air Control, essentially the same thing. If you take the IAC off & can move the lil plunger by your finger, its likely ok. clean the IAC and the ports where it bolts to.

Rob

I have a 2004 Mercury Mountaineer 4.0 v6 AWD no Flex Fuel. today on the interstate I entered fail safe mode. I pulled over to the side and the engine died out and would not start back up. I had it towed. the codes read p2111 throttle body stuck open. another code read P2104 Throttle Actuator Control System Forced Idle and P2135 Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch 'A'/'B' Voltage Correlation
P2106 Throttle Actuator Control System - Forced Limited Power

Any idea what this couple be. Im thinking Throttle body needs replacing, as do some of my friends. We are not mechanics obviously.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Your throttle position sensor is probably fried. It's just plastic and a little spring so it is pretty fragile. I'd start there.

just got throttle body replaced. codes went away and it started right up. It rides better than it did before.

Thanks for your advice!

hi.
i am having this problem as well.
here is the history...
05 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 2WD v8 4.6
the car threw a code for a misfire in #6 .
i bought all new plugs. i first changed #6 and the car cleared the codes and ran fine for 1 day the next day, saturday, comes and i change the other 7 plugs. i changed them one at a time as to not mix up the wiring...
plugs are changed, car starts fine and i drive the car 2 miles up the road and then the car spits out the #6 plug (literally). this in turn breaks the #6 injector coil. the car turns off while driving (electrical remained) and i roll to a safe spot off the road. i get an injector coil at napa and replace it on the side of the road. now, car will not start. so i tow the car back home.
read the codes...

p0193 - fuel rail pressure sensor (FRPS). i get a FRPS at advance auto install it and the car starts up but i have no throttle control. it starts rough and then begins to get better as it idles and eventually idles normally. the exhaust is pretty bad and white (this could be from sitting idle in the cold or the starter spray i tried once to see if it would turn over when i first got it home from installing the injector coil on the road or from being flooded form ~5 attempts to start it while stranded on the road...? or some of all of the above).
so now onto NO THROTTLE control.

read the codes...p1022 TPS pedal - p0223 Throttle position sensor, p2110 and p2104 so i installed a new throttle position sensor from Autozone. the car did not want to start and the one time when it did start, the RPM's went as high as 3500-4000 RPM and a large plume of black smoke shot out of exhaust along with substantial white smoke, before i shut it off (about 5-6 seconds) and then the car would not start again after that.

so, re-read the codes after throttle position sensor.
all TAC codes p2104, p2106, p2111, p2112 and the p2135 a different TPS code

now i am seeking counsel on what to throw at it next.
things i am thinking...
1. i should try a Motorcraft Brand Throttle Position sensor.
2. replace the entire throttle body assembly
3. a PCM flash...but after speaking with a tech a ford dealer they said that this would not help the situation. i have "reset the PCM" by using the short Positive to negative for 5 mins trick. the ford tech says that only reset the memory, it does not reset the "firmware" (for lack of a better term).

what are you guys thoughts on this and what i should try next?

If it spit out your number 6 plug you either didn't install it correctly or you have a larger mechanical issue.

1st: Check ALL plugs, injectors, coil packs and wires. Make sure it's all tight.

2nd: Always use Motorcraft sensors. These Explorers are really picky about that.

3rd: Your 05 has an electric throttle, correct? Meaning a small motor (NOT a wire and spring) controls open and closing the throttle. If so, take it off and clean it thoroughly with throttle/intake cleaner. Use electrical contact cleaner on all your plugs (both available at advance, NAPA, etc).

If that doesn't work, go buy a Motorcraft throttle position sensor for the throttle body as well as behind the panel.

Good luck.

Backyard Mechanic

I also had Limp Mode problems that got worse over a period of a week or two. P2104, P2111, & P2112. After reading quite a bit, I replaced the TPS but no better at all. Finally got so bad that as soon as I touched the throttle it would show the wrench and limp mode.
Had already cleaned the MFS and the ETB and they were very clean. Checked the connectors and wiring and everything seemed fine.
Frustrating.
So read a bunch more and decided I was going to have to spend the money and get a new ETB next... But didn't want to spend that much money.
As a final option, I took the ETB drive apart and found the DC motor had very dirty armatures. It was tricky, but gently pulled the brushes back and put 600 grit sandpaper in front of them in a very tiny piece. Using the brushes, I pressed the sandpaper against the Armature gently and twisted and twisted the DC motor spindle. Took three pieces of sandpaper to get most of the black off the Armature. This was rather tedious and you have to be gentle. Also tricky to get it all back together, but after PCM reset, reassembly and starting the truck, and going through learning procedure, it ran perfect. Yay!
Just wanted to pass this on to those of you that know much more than I do. Hope it may help you understand why the error codes trip and the engine becomes useless.

[MENTION=246871]Phildad[/MENTION], nice!

Welcome to the forum.

Back