Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Official ET/MPH List

Discussion in 'Need for Speed!' started by awdrocks, October 12, 2007.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Limited02

Limited02 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Gardner, KS
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '02 Limited V8
      After I posted, I thought that maybe you'd be a better choice. Not that I don't think I could handle it, but you have been here longer, know a few more people and are as crazy as I am for making an Explorer go fast.

I was wondering how to become a moderator? Wondering what kind of initiation you have to go through........:D

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. techieman33

techieman33 Explorer Addict

City, State:
      Topeka, KS
      00 V8 Mountaineer
      I think it's mainly up to Rick to make that decision, and he probably runs it by the other mods to see what they think about it.

4. Turdle

Turdle Will cook for gas Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Humboldt, KS
      2000 Mounty
    5. Limited02

City, State:
      Gardner, KS
      '02 Limited V8
      If for some reason it comes to to either of us for a mod position(unlikely on my part) we may have to race for it!!! But I think I might have the upper hand for the position because I have a "mod" motor:D (and yes my humor sucks:p:)

Edit-Didn't see Jons post. We are just trying to take a load off you guys and the speed forums are pretty dead for the most part, so I guess it's no biggie:(

6. techieman33

techieman33 Explorer Addict

City, State:
      Topeka, KS
      00 V8 Mountaineer
      Once I get these alcon brakes figured out I kick your ass 60-0.:p:

7. TekMan05

TekMan05 Active Member

City, State:
      Kansas City
      '00 XLT 5.0 V8
      It is getting close to that time again. You guys wanna have some kinda area Explorer meet later on in the spring? Unfortunately, You guys won't have to worry about me running the stang out there for a while. My 2nd gear syncro is bad so racing on that is a big NO NO.

8. Limited02

City, State:
      Gardner, KS
      '02 Limited V8
      That sounds like a great idea! I doubt I will be running my Explorer until the Fall because I've got a few trips planned this summer and I need all the money I can get. I really want to hit 14's though!!!

Eric- I bet you could out brake me with your stock setup!!! My moms old '96 seemed to have stonger brakes than mine did? Start a thread about the new binders you picked up;)

9. gottraction?

gottraction? New Member

City, State:
      Atlanta GA
      1998 Ford Explorer Sport
      Well i havent been posting on this site but im about to. Im taking my Explorer sport to Atlanta Dragway tonight for a few pulls. It has 227k miles on her with an intake extension/flowtech muffler! everthing else is stock This SOHC V6 really feels strong for an SUV so im hoping for 15.9 or faster! Will post updated times

10. Carguy3J

Carguy3J Well-Known Member

City, State:
      North East New Jersey
      '99 4dr. XLT SOHC A4WD
      Wow. This one of the few "dead" threads that should be revived. I can't believe it has been 2 YEARS since somebody posted here!

As for your prediction; forget it. There is no way a stock Explorer SOHC is going to run 15.9 You'll be very lucky if you can manage high 16's.

My '99 Explorer, with the SOHC did run a 15.87 once. BUT, a.) it was cold out, compared to the warm temps you are likely to be running in Atlanta b.) Along w/ a K&N FIPK, the biggest contributing factor was an SCT XCAL3 w/ custom Henson tuning. Without that, no way was that going to happen. In fact, if recall correctly, I ran about 16.8-16.9 in a couple of passes I made with just the stock ecm programming and the K&N kit.

The truck has been sitting for years now, but I do eventually plan on getting it running again. The biggest hurdle right now, besides cash, is a bad fuel pump and a FULL tank. My goal is to break into the 14's, naturally aspirated. There will have been a few more mods since the 15.87 run, and I would count a 14.999 as a victory....

This assumes, of course, I don't just jump straight to the blower setup, as I already have the appropriate M90. I just can't afford the RP Caster kit to install it. Well, that and there is enough about the kit that I don't like, that I kind of have a hard time justifying the price, when I might end up replacing/redoing half of it anyway, and he won't sell partial kits.

The other thing is, if I go S/C'd, I'll never be anywhere near the top of THAT list! I have a shot at the N/A "crown", but I'll always be a "little fish" in the power adder crowd. I know what I could do to be at the top there too, but I'll never have the money to make it happen.

11. Limited02

City, State:
      Gardner, KS
      '02 Limited V8
      Looking forward to your results! Please be sure to post a timeslip of your run and a video would hurt either. I have a feeling you'll be running closer to 16.5 on a good day, but you never know till you try!

I agree it's been quite some time. Since my last run I've added a K&N CAI and replaced the COP's so she's been running a smidge stronger now. As much as I want to beat Jon's time, it's not going to happen unless I do some more work and have perfect conditions. We'll see how the summer goes and if things are still looking good around fall, maybe I'll be willing to give it a shot:thumbsup:

12. Turdle

Turdle Will cook for gas Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Humboldt, KS
      2000 Mounty
    13. gottraction?

gottraction? New Member

City, State:
      Atlanta GA
      1998 Ford Explorer Sport
      Welp i only got one pull in. Tech inspection was backed the hell up and it started drizzling. I will be going back next weekend though to see if i can work on my torque/launching.I had one wheel spinning and it killed my 60fter. It has a 15.4 in it the way it sits i know it. It will run 14s on motor by then end of the summer if i dont jump on the bottle first. Ive ran a ton of cars and i could tell this sport was really quick for what it was when i bought it. It had alittle less than 3/4 of a tank in her at the time. I ran a swapped all motor civic that moved out pretty good. Im in the left lane. Does this make one of the faster all motor times list?

[​IMG]

r/t.387
      60' 2.35
      330 6.588
      1/8 10.088
      MPH 70.15
      1000 13.110
      1/4 15.678

14. Limited02

City, State:
      Gardner, KS
      '02 Limited V8
      I will admit, you went A LOT faster than I would have expected. I take it you have a 5-speed manual and 2wd? Did you remove any weight? Nice job:thumbsup:

Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.
    15. gottraction?

gottraction? New Member

City, State:
      Atlanta GA
      1998 Ford Explorer Sport
      No im explorer sport 2wd auto tranny. i pulled out the cargo matte and spare tire. I thought there where some 14 second n/a explorers on here but i guess it requires more work than i thought. Im happy that my little 6cylinder can hang some with you v8 guys! Thanks man!

16. JCase

JCase Guest

No, there is one who has put $1,200 into a stock V8 and ran high 14's years ago.

Just having fun sitting back watching everyone else spend money trying to figure it out!

17. TekMan05

TekMan05 Active Member

City, State:
      Kansas City
      '00 XLT 5.0 V8
      Was this a 5.0 or 4.6 Explorer?

18. JCase

JCase Guest

Gears make all the difference in the world, especially if you have a built motor.

;)

edit

I would install 4.56's if I were you TekMan, you would probably gain .40 in the 1/4.

19. Limited02

City, State:
      Gardner, KS
      '02 Limited V8
      :popcorn:

20. gottraction?

gottraction? New Member

City, State:
      Atlanta GA
      1998 Ford Explorer Sport
      well gave it another go last week and no dice. only ran a 15.7. How are you 2wd guys launching??? I cannot stop spinning and its killing my 60fter. I purchased one of those ebay special intakes that actually hurt it seems compared to my stock setup with extension. So that just went back on and I ordered a SCT 3015 tuner and its on and im playing with it some and will give it another go probably this upcoming Friday. It seems like it runs awesome on the preloaded 93 tune! Hoping for lowish 15s.

21. JCase

JCase Guest

I was referring to TekMan about having a built motor.

Mine is stock.

$100 for used 4.56 gears
      $350 for used TMH's
      $130 for dynomax muffler and cutout rear cats
      $500 for dyno tune

Plus a few odds and ends and weight saving mods like removing the AC, spare tire and a lighter weight battery, but thats about it. 2wd, not AWD.

I see people putting thousands into trying to get a hp here and there and not changing the gears. So what if your running an extra 400-600rpm on the highway, you'll lose a couple mpg but gain up to a half a second in the 1/4. Your looking to go fast and claim bragging rights, right?

You want to go through the traps at red line in the lowest gear you can get away with to get the most out of your motor. With a stock 5.0 with a stock tire size, that would be a 5.30ish gear to top out 3rd gear. But, taking the real world into account, 4.56's are the ticket.

22. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      I figured you had some used parts in the project, and didn't have a built engine.

These trucks are very heavy, 4500lbs for AWD/4WD versions. Gearing would help a lot, but then the driveability suffers more than most people are willing to give up. I wish Ford had not changed the trans bell housing pattern in 1991 after the first 4.6/AOD cars. Then the newer 5 speeds would all be possible, though it's too bad they are all weak designs(for performance).

There is free horsepower in the 302 trucks though. The engines are GT40/Cobra level potential, 240rwhp in a Mustang level. That suggests about 40hp is eaten by either the trans/TC or the exhaust. What Mustang 302 has just one muffler and one tail pipe? How many Mustang are running around with just a stock 2.25" exhaust?

The answer to the free(lost(restrictions)) power of the exhaust, is to fabricate new dual exhaust from the collectors back. A new computer programming is a must, if you remove the choking back pressure, the A/F will be way lean, which is not max power. The fuel has to be added to match the better airflow. Do that and see if it helps, then look at what size Mustang headers are. Go find comparable headers too. Regards,

23. gottraction?

gottraction? New Member

City, State:
      Atlanta GA
      1998 Ford Explorer Sport
      well I went to the dyno today and something is weird. i put down 175.77hp/201.00 Tq. SOHC V-6 Auto with Cold air intake Extension, Flowtech Muffler Only, SCT Preloaded Tune. I ran the 15.6 posted above before the tune. So either the gearing and the torque is helping me more than i think or this dyno is low. by putting these numbers in a 1/4 calculator its calling for like a 16.5 lmao anyone wanna chime in?

24. JCase

JCase Guest

No need for a bigger exhaust on a stock or mildly modded 5.0.

Last edited by a moderator: April 22, 2013
    25. Limited02

City, State:
      Gardner, KS
      '02 Limited V8
      A dyno is a tuning tool and nothing else. I wouldn't worry about what it reads because all dynos will read differently(for the most part). Only numbers that matter are what it puts up at the track:thumbsup:

26. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      No, these 5.0's you refer to are Cobra 302's, virtually the same as any Cobra 302, stock Ford engine. The engine doesn't know what vehicle it's in.

Stick the stock Explorer 302 into an 88-93 Mustang, and it will make nearly 240rwhp. That's a bunch more power than the 190 or so we see with tested stock Explorers. That means that the exhaust is a huge restriction, and that is not all in just the headers.

Go find a stock 88-93 302 Mustang, an HO model, which makes 225hp when new/stock. Cut off one side of the exhaust, and run that side over to merge with the other one, before the muffler. Make that Mustang a single muffler one sided exhaust. Then test it, you find that even with their better headers than Explorer headers, it will lose a bunch of power. That's a stock 302, HO model, with lesser heads and intake than the GT40 parts.

In stock form any 302 should have at least 2.25" dual exhaust, with two mufflers and two tail pipes. Half of that is not enough, there is a need for a bigger exhaust.