supercharge 4.0 sohc explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

supercharge 4.0 sohc explorer?

my mod list has brought me to try and upgrade some speed into my stock 2002 explorer 4.0 sohc...so far its a throtle body spacer and k&n intake...i know ee has an eaton m62 kit for sale but for me its too expensive and the reviews say that your better off with the eaton m90. c&m has an adapter kit for the eaton m90 into the 4.0 sohc but is it going to do any type of damage to the engine in the long run without replacing anything?...basically how much would have to be done to run a kit like the m90 on my stock 4.0....rookie here and i would like any experts in this field to let me know what path to take and some tips...greatly appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I too am very interested in supercharging my 4.0 SOHC in my 03 Sport Trac. I too was looking at ExplorerExpress' supercharger kits. I talked with the guy who runs the place, very nice guy and seemed more than willing to help with my simple questions, and he said that the kit should deliver ~90rwhp.

Now with that being said i've recently noticed the kit comes with the MP62 but the supercharger kit for the 4.0L SOHC Mustang comes with the MP90. So i think to myself what gives? The kits are almost identical in price ~$100 difference, so unfortunately they are closed on Friday's but Monday i am going to call, for the 4th or so time now, and see if they would be willing to send me an MP90 rather than an MP62 and if it's possible. Lastly i was going to of course find out if there are any long term negatives and what not, both kits are strictly bolt on so they are not modifying the internals on the mustang. I would believe that Ford wouldn't make the mustang 4.0L engine any more sturdier than than the one in various other trucks/cars so i am hoping that the mp90 would still be a viable option for my Sport Trac.

I'll let you know as soon as i have more info on the subject.

A few of the guys on the forum have supercharged / turbocharged. I would make sure you do plenty of research before slapping on a s/c. it's not really one of those "take it out of the box and bolt it on" deals...

The M62 is marginal at best for the 4.0L SOHC. These engines can move some serious air. I would recommend using a M90 with the support hardware necessary for fueling (Lightning MAF, min 36# inj,min 190lph pump).

The kit at EE includes all necessary components for the supercharger, also regarding the fuel pump....

EE does not include a fuel pump in their kit anymore, they did at first because they thought it was necessary, but after a customer did not have time to install it, then he had it tuned At bamachips and once they saw it ran fine they compared the numbers to one with and without the fuel pump and said they were identical. I'm not saying you'll never need a higher performer pump just that it may not initially be necessary

the lightning maf would fit right on my 4.0 or do i have to customize it?

the lightning maf would fit right on my 4.0 or do i have to customize it?

It will "fit". You might have to buy a different MAF flange and some silicone adapters though. You also will need to have it custom tuned to use the L-MAF too. Of course you should have it custom tuned with FI anyways.

figured out yesterday that the rpcaster kit is not going to be a direct fit my 4.0 ex...due to the fact that the coil pack is in the front and the rangers/explorer sports are in the back...need some fab work and it could be done....anyone else that has a 4 door ex and modified something for a blower any info would help...

I believe anything you do you're going to have to do a little fab work. I don't see the coil being a big problem.

The MAIN THING to do here is to get the truck tuned after you install. This is what makes your engine last. I think if you ran around 6LBS of boost with the M90, you'll see a pretty big increase, and be pretty safe. With the proper tune you can run higher than that. The higher boost pressures you go will give a smaller window for tuning mistakes. In other words running 6lbs of boost with the 4.0 SOHC has been done many times by many people, so you're safe (with a good tune). Running 10LBS of boost; well, you have to make sure everything is tuned just right. Running 15LBS of boost; you're gambling big time now and something is gonna blow on a stock internal engine. The higher you go, the bigger the gamble. It's all a gamble when you start pushing the limits.

So, with the M90 you can go up to (AN AVERAGE HERE WITH NO OTHER MODS) around maybe 240RWHP on a stock 4.0 SOHC. If you want more you'll have to start messing with pulley sizes and re-tuning. The more boost you try to get out of this blower the hotter the intake charge becomes, and the less efficient the blower is. Also, the higher the RPM you turn the blower, the more power the blower robs from your motor. Lastly, the m90 is pretty heavy and that's going to slow you down compared to other force feeding options. I know the C&M kit doesn't come with an intercooler so that's one reason why you see the lower costs for this kit.

I'm not here to talk you out of it but wanted to make sure you know the limitations. I would look into buying kabuki's m90 and kit if he still has it.

im almost sure he got it from c&m so it would be the same as buying the kit and just adding a blower but kabuki does have extra items and selling for a good price...yea everything does need fab work...only thing that sux i dont have a indoor work space and no time...plus no other ride so cant be out of commision for that long ...would be great though...something other then stock would do it for me...:D...thanks for the info again :thumbsup:

The M62 is marginal at best for the 4.0L SOHC. These engines can move some serious air. I would recommend using a M90 with the support hardware necessary for fueling (Lightning MAF, min 36# inj,min 190lph pump).

An M62 was "marginal at best" on my 3.0L Ranger.... M90 or better.

Actually I would recommend a centri or turbo. A h**l of a lot more efficient and a fatter torque # (turbo) as well.

Actually I would recommend a centri or turbo. A h**l of a lot more efficient and a fatter torque # (turbo) as well.

Turbo all the way if you want absolute max power. Just size it right for your application and you will still blow the wheels off at lower rpms also. You get FAR more horsepower per pound of boost with a turbo.

Back