Stuck fan clutch nut | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stuck fan clutch nut

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would not re-use that fan clutch nut. It would be more trouble than it's worth.

Don't reuse that fan clutch, not worth it, been there done that.

i got a new one...has anyone used the starter bump to take the crank bolt off?

why are you removing the crank bolt?

Im doing a timing cover gasket...I got it off, but cant figure out where to thread my harmonic balancer puller...it appears to have three cresecnt shaped grooves instead on threaded holes for a bolt...can any one chime in of how to do this on a 5.0 v8?

Also, worth mentioning, be careful you don't twist off a bolt in it, I always make sure the pull bolts that thread into it are really oiled as well as the holes

anyone have tips for installing the puller? I cant see the holes from the top so im poking blind (although I am able to thread the bolts in without the puller so i did find them), also is there any way to mess up the timing in this process? Obviously dont want to screw that up

its a real ******* trying to get the puller on in there , just gotta cus till you get it, as for the timing your fine as long as you dont move the gears without the chain connecting them , if you decide to replace the timing set line up the mark on the cam gear and the crank and quickly swap the old for new , a new double roller can be bought for less than $40 around here , its cheap insurance

Got it off, what a ****...anyway I am trying to get TDC and my buddy felt the pressure in the #1 cylinder when I rotated the engine. How do i determine TDC with the harmonic balancer off the truck?

ok, got the keyway at the top and felt pressure on my thumb as I rotated the engine, is this close enough to TDC on the compression stroke to do this work? Also, I am able to feel the top of the piston near the spark plug hole with a pencil

Take the timing cover off , there is a dot on the cam gear , using the bolt in the crank slowly turn the motor till the dot lines up with the keyway on the crank , at that point you can remove the timing gears and chain as a unit and replace them with the new ones in the same position, no need to worry about tdc compression stroke unless you are replacing the cam synchronizer

The cam dot will be at the bottom on TDC, at the top on BTC, so just be sure the old one is at TDC before you pull it off.

oh, i guess I was just following the haynes procedure that says to set it to TDC prior to removing the cover and gasket (which i thought was odd but I have not really done engine work)

If you did find the TDC by the #1 cylinder(finger over it turning the crank), then it's right there close. Just get a look and find the timing dots on the gears, and turn the crank so they are together(keyway straight up too). Then you're good to swap the timing set.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I noticed a green/white wire hanging in the center of my engine, came out of a loom that has two pieces that hold it to the WP bolts, and looks like it originates from the same loom as the crank position sensor. anyone know what this wire may be? I cant find it on any wiring diagram for my truck that I have. also, i cant get the timing cover to budge but I think I have the bolts removed, am I missing something?

Back