supercharged 5.0 true fire 98 explorer sport | Page 88 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

supercharged 5.0 true fire 98 explorer sport

hi everyone, my name is tim . i live in selkirk, manitoba, canada and as if this date that i am posting this, i am 36 years old.

i bought my sport in jan 05 from a local ford dealer. it had 111,000KM's on it. this is the second sport i have owned. it was sitting on the lot for about 8 months before i came along. i am the third owner (i was able to track down the person that traded it in, and they got it from a friend, who bought it new in 98).

i started to do a few things to it after i first got it, then i found this site, and all hell broke lose! i've never been satisfied with something the everyone else has, so i started to tinker with it even more.

19_Medium_.jpg

15540626_10154060266577513_2405619719549828739_o.jpg

14242313_10153799452207513_5208987697549996496_o.jpg

50213558658671_547488670_7421875_7068292_n_Medium_.jpg

15_Medium_.jpg

evil_and_min_evil.jpg

DSC01337_Medium_.jpg

DSC01341_Medium_.jpg

DSC02874_Medium_.jpg

10660988_10152352316047513_1588917598_n.jpg

m122b.jpg

981349_256309931177894_674155846_o_1_Medium_.jpg

DSC04422_Medium_.jpg

mods include

interior

installed factory tilt, cruise, overhead console, auto dimming mirror, full length console, with a message center (it didn't have these from factory).

white face with blue flames indigo gauge covers (they light up blue)
blue l.e.d. everything
white l.e.d. interior lights
Kenwood DDX392 Touch Screen Head Unit
alpine 4 channel amp (all four speakers)
boston acoustic front and rear speakers
alpine mono amp (for sub)
2 12 inch jl audio subs
rockford fosgate cap
passenger side one touch window down mod.
custom transfer case shifter
tripple a pillar gauge pod, housing autometer boost, Innovate LC-1 wideband, and oil pressure gauge
12v power inverter with 120v plug in a 2 usb plugs built into the center console

exterior

BMW E46 projectors, mounted into stock housings using clear lens
6000K HID head lights
angel eye "driving" lights, with 8000k h.i.d.'s
clear parking/corner lights
billet grill (powder coated by Turdle)
blacked out ford emblems
custom front steel 95-98 bumper, with 4 inch round tubes welded in for driving lights
shaved radio antenna
shaved roof rack
black euro tall lights
l.e.d. license plate lights
smoked out 3rd break light
lund rear tailgate spoiler/wing (formally from the truck "blackjack" owned by EF member Spas)
hand made roll pan (made from 3 1/2 rear bumpers, with 1/4 inch diamond plate on the top, and it is removable)
aluminum T/A differential griddle/cover (powder coated by Turdle)
Motegi Mr107 20' rims
goodyear wrangler hp p245/50 r20
1 1/4 wheel spacer in the rear, 3/8 in front
and most noticeable, black with blue pearl paint, and blue true fire (ground effects are black with blue pearl as well)

Suspension

2 inch lowering blocks in the rear, reverse TT in the front (2 inch as well)
Explorer Express rear sway bar
4 door leaf springs
rancho rs9000 adjustable rear shocks
03-05 sport trac spindles with drilled and slotted rotors

performance

5L swap
347 stroker
TFS twisted wedge alum heads
comp gold 1.6 rockers
comp cams CCA-35-556-8 nitro cam
heavily modified edelbrock victor jr air gap intake (which serves as a valley pan now)
eaton m122 supercharger (metco 2.70 pulley, and ASP 8 rib 7 1/4 crank pulley) with custom made mount with bell intercooler core
8 rib serpentine belt conversion using pulleys from a 7.3 powerstroke
custom made 3 1/2 inch throttle body elbow
accufab 75mm throttle body
4 inch intake pipe
PMASS MH90 90mm Universal 3000 KG/HR MAF
amsoil cone filter
F.A.S.T. 60lb injectors
edelbrock fuel rails, trick flow specialties fuel pressure regulator with summit racing fuel pressure gauge
walbro 255lph fuel pump
1/2 inch steel braided fuel pressure line from tank to rail using 8AN fittings
torque monster headers
2 1/2 duel pipes with flowpro duel in and out 2 1/2 single muffler
accel extreme 9000 ceramic 45 degree plug wires with boot protectors
4R70W w/2600 stall with J mod
tuff stuff 200a alternator
tuning made possible with sct pro-racer package, and tuned with major help from member [MENTION=102869]Dono[/MENTION] and [MENTION=81804]4pointslow[/MENTION]
flex a lite duel 12 inch electric fans
big 3 upgrade (4 gauge wires)
meziere innercooler water pump
2 froozenboost innercooler rads

Transfer case

4406 manual shift from a 97 F150
modified stock trans cross member to accept 93 mustang 5L polyurethane tans mount
double cardan rear drive shaft

because of all the "fun" i had doing the bodywork, and some other things to my truck, i have nick named it "evil dora" or if you like, just plane "evil"!
and now the thank yous

my buddy gord leiss, who let this thing sit in his garage for 3 months while i did the body work to it. he also gave me a hand with some of the prep work, and painted it for me

kevin willson for doing the true fire http://affordableairbrushing.ca/

Joe Bukoski for letting me do the 5L/4406 swap in his garage

now people from this site, weather they knew it or not, they helped

BIG THANKS to tara a.k.a. explorersport77 for pictures of her truck. wouldn't been able to build the roll pan with out them!

ExplorerSport77's X "Hotness"

jon a.k.a. Turdle for selling me some real swanky rear shackles, as well as powder coating the diff cover and sending them up to canada. as well as much needed info on v8, and 4406 swaps as well as doing the grill and showing me how its done.

don aka dono for the help with the tuning, and wideband, as well as the supercharger

andy aka ahodges for some parts, and any help i needed for all the go faster goodies

5.0 swap - w/ 4406

jad2411 for finding me a link for my hidden antenna

ryan a.k.a. MustangP51 for doing his write up on making l.e.d.'s for interior lights, and how to make projectors

P51's HID Headlight (Projector) and Fog Conversion (PICS)

and N3ELZ cardomain page for L.E.D. switch and cruise pod mods

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/296394/2002-ford-ranger-regular-cab/page-6
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/296394/2002-ford-ranger-regular-cab/page-12
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/296394/2002-ford-ranger-regular-cab/page-23

bob a.k.a. rwenzing for showing me speedhut's sit for the gauges

Gauges, Custom Gauges, Tachometers, Speedometers, Shift Light, Pod

Buzz4x4 for his write up on blacking out ford emblems

How to Make Your Own Custom Ford Emblems

the late aldive for his write up on one touch down passengers window mod

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141027&highlight=touch+passengers+window+mod

BIG COUNTRY, for his write up on how to install a auto dimming mirror

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=84968

BIG COUNTRY, 98formulaLS1, and Ryon40 for there write ups on how to install a message center

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225017&highlight=BIG+COUNTRY
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80670&highlight=message+center
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245085&highlight=Ryon40

MountaineerGreen for his 4406 swap write up and "Custom" Driveshaft for a 4406 and 4" Superlift on the Cheap " (even tho its lowered

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166726&highlight=awd+4x4+swap
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185232

Simon, aka blueka for his "pickle" thread, and help anytime i picked the phone up the phone on the 5L swap

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271813

Jon, aka 4pointslow for any MAJOR technical advice i have needed

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219092

i wish i could find who did the write up on the overhead console install, but here is the link

http://www.explorer4x4.com/overhead.htm

Russ aka NICE59FORDF100 for his help on the wiring, and what to watch out for electronically.

hopefully one day, i will be able to help people on here just as much as the people that i have mentioned above!

picture.php

plus you know you have done something right when.....

your truck (as well as corkey) wins truck of the month

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=296023

is the feature truck on the fun hump day radio show (starts roughly around the 30 min mark)

http://explorerforum.podbean.com/2011/03/23/19-vroom-zoomboom/

and you drive 26 hours ONE WAY to the carlisle all ford nationals in june 2010 and 2011, and grab second place in the s.u.v. all category!

scan00012.jpg

then in 2014 you go back to the same show you have been to 5 years in a row (nothing by most, but its one hell of a long drive) and take first!

scan00014.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why on earth would the factory want to lower the voltage at wot? I can't help but think its a voltage regulator thing, but Tim has tried a couple of whole alternators already.

One trick used in the muscle car era was to put a wot switch on the alternator field circuit to eliminate the parasitic horsepower loss at WOT. Kind of the same reason some use an electric water pump.

Certain Crown Vics have this feature built in to the PCM which controls charging, and it can be turned on or off in the tune. Our Explorers don't have that feature.

If there is only a small drop during WOT then it is no big deal, how long are you at wot anyway. If the voltage is dropping at other times or you have other symptoms like dimming lights or hard starting then it's time to look into it.

I was more concerned about the TPS randomly dropping out and not reading full WOT during the datalog on Tim's truck. When I saw the battery voltage dropping out I thought that it might have been related, but now it doesn't seem so.

Attachments

• TPS at WOT.jpg
    TPS at WOT.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 214

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

A quote from that post that Tim linked to.....

"I know for a fact that the regulators are the problem in the alternator. They have an overtemp built into them and basically stop producing volts when the temp gets high."

if your saying i can put the voltage thing to rest, i will happily do it!!!
as for the TPS, i was thinking today what i might do it go to one of the wreckers when i get a chance and find a 94 and up mustang (more then likely a v6, wont find a v8 in there here) and cut the connector off the body side of the harness, and grab the tps out if it and try it.

Voltage

Send me a current datalog of WOT so I can see where it is now.(voltage and TPS).

In the picture below you can see how it recovered, at least you know it is not going to let you down on the road.

The regulator is going into self preservation mode. lol.
With the larger crank pulley it would be spinning faster and hitting high temperatures quicker. Like 2000streetrod mentioned, if you could get a pulley that would keep it at the normal RPM's (not faster or slower) that would be the best.

I like the way it was fixed in the thread you posted, but it does cost a bit more don't it.
If you end up with a lean condition that can not be fixed on the dyno due to under voltage then it would be time to revisit the options on charging system upgrades.

Attachments

• Battery Voltage at WOT.jpg
    Battery Voltage at WOT.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 232

That's the thing, there is nothing 'telling' the alternator to shut down.
I might just buy a 3 pole bridge rectifier off ebay rated for somewhere over 100 amps. It looks super easy to wire in.
Maybe the diodes are over heating in the alternator, and the regulator is still trying to do its job? It would be worth trying, and an inexpensive experiment.

Voltage still bad

And this is what makes you go WTF?
In these two pictures the voltage recovers well, but the battery voltage is dropping way to low at WOT. Dropping below battery voltage (12.6) means that not only the regulator has stopped charging to protect itself from overheating, but the battery is being discharged by the excessive loads on the system.

Still a problem here.
Some thoughts
What was the CCA measurement off the battery?
Maybe the battery is weak or needs to be upgraded.
Tim has a capacitor for his stereo amps, I don't know how that would effect the system since it is not a factory item. Maybe disconnect it and do a before and after datalog.
Alternator looks to be charging well before and after the WOT, on other datalogs I swore I saw something different like low charging voltage so maybe the cables helped there.
Kenne Bell boost a pump or boost a spark are voltage conditioners that are supposed to keep things up when at WOT or even if the charging system shuts down.They can even raise the voltages, but are only good for about 40 amps.
Jacobs Electronics systems used to make similar things, they were sold and are located out of Australia, but check out there website. Check out the Race accuvolt which is the first one listed. A little pricey.
http://www.jacobselectronics.com.au/index.html

Attachments

• 8-5-15 Volts 2.jpg
    8-5-15 Volts 2.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 208
  • 8-5-15 Volts 1.jpg
    8-5-15 Volts 1.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 222

4pointslow, I agree with you 100%.
There's no way the voltage should drop like that.
I'm not even happy with ahodges, or mine seeing the voltage drop. Tim's voltage drop is terrible. From what I understand, this really makes a difference on injector pulses. I still don't get how such a widely used alternator could behave like this. I guess it just 'is', and we need to look at solutions.
I just ordered this for a test:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/361143887069?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
I don't expect to see it for a month though.

My last post now has the two pictures I was talking about. I could not upload them a little while ago.

Dono's and Ahodges are not the problem. The regulator is doing what it is supposed to do, protecting itself from overheating.

Look at Tim's voltage dropping below 12 volts, that is bad.

Ok, I see why you are asking about the battery.
Even without an alternator at all, If the battery is charged we shouldn't see a drop to just over 11 volts. I get it.

diodes vs regulator

My 1973 Volvo 142S had Bosch fuel injection (analog computer) and an electric fuel pump. On my first long, summer trip I began losing power on the freeway. I had to keep depressing the accelerator farther to maintain my speed. When I finally reached an exit ramp and left off the pedal the engine died and wouldn't restart. I walked to a phone booth (before cell phones) and called a tow truck. Eventually the truck driver arrived, he charged my battery for a few minutes, I started the engine and drove to the nearest gas station (they had mechanics back then). My family walked to a nearby diner to eat while the mechanic tested my battery and alternator and fully charged the battery. Nothing was found to be defective so we continued on our trip. A couple hours later I could tell from the voltmeter that the battery was no longer being charged so we pulled into a motel in St. Charles, LA. I called a small foreign car repair shop and learned that the alternator diodes were inadequate for my model. They eventually overheat reducing the output voltage to that of the battery. After cooling for 30 minutes they test fine. I replaced the alternator with one that had better cooling and larger capacity diodes. Our new 2014 Grand Cherokee had the same design deficiency but we never experienced the symptoms. We waited a year for a replacement alternator for the issued recall.

I doubt that your problem is the diodes overheating because it takes several minutes for them to recover. However, it is very possible that your voltage regulator is overheating due to its location in the alternator and the alternator's exposure to the heat from your exhaust headers. If the voltage drop is gradual with engine speed increase and the voltage increase is gradual with engine speed decrease then I suspect the voltage regulator is functioning normally and there is a voltage remote sensor problem. Measuring the voltage at the remote sense terminal of the voltage regulator would be enlightening. If the voltage drop/increase is a large step then I suspect the voltage regulator is overheating. One reason I prefer cast manifolds over headers is because of their lower heat loss. But in the case of the V8 stock manifolds (pathetic) the performance improvement of the headers forces their use. I have less heat with my V6 stock manifolds and a custom voltage regulator. Many high output alternators come with upgraded voltage regulators. Is there room for a heat shield between the alternator and the header?

Dale, Can you find an upgraded regulator for the 4g? I am having no luck.
I'm surprised I can't find anywhere that someone has moved the regulator and rectifier to external. Once external, you have tons of options.

edit:
I have to wonder if this would be whats required to use an external regulator:
http://store.alternatorparts.com/partnof796bnc.aspx
Then, with adding a second heavy duty external rectifier everything would be moved outside of the alternator.

Well, I want to believe that as well, and unfortunately I don't have any logs from when the 302 was in, but you would have to think there would have been a problem with it as well. I never saw any problems when that motor was in, even driving to PA and back. However that was also before the m112 was on it to. Keep in mind however, I had mentioned that my old stereo had a setting on it that displayed voltage, and never notice a problem until the 347 went in. I'm not saying by any means your theory is wrong, and I do honestly welcome any ideas. One big problem with me is I have a very hard time understanding anything electrical on any vehicle. Need a quarter panel welded on? No problem. Need panels made? No problem. Need a trans or motor swapped out? No problem. Need a blower mount made? No problem. Need a electric dohicky figured out?.......PROBLEM!!!! I am going to run down to the local auto electic place in town after work with the truck and see if they have any ideas, because all of this confuses the crap out of me lol

We all want to help, and I know sometimes suggestions made will ruffle feathers when the recipient doesn't understand the "logic" from the contributors head.

Ok, that being said, it sure does seem to me like the TPS is "shorting" the circuit and causing a drain of power.

However, if this was the case all that current would surely burn the wiring.

I still do not understand though, does this occur with the key on engine off also? If the engine is not running, does the voltage drop if you move the TPS to WOT?

Or, is this occurring at an RPM range? Does the rev limiter play a role in this at all?

I wonder what would happen if an old school 1 farad audio capacitor was added in. If the line voltage drops below 12 with one of those installed something real weird is going on. Seriously, a battery voltage drop that low very quickly seems odd to me. That is like a high powered amp hitting deep bass. A lot of current being drawn in a very short time. How many amps does the METH kit draw?

If I sound ruffled to some of you, point it out! I don't want anyone to think that.
I guess I could see if it would datalog with the motor not running. Never thought of that. Also, I do have a cap for my amps. Like John said, those logs are with the cap hooked up (I keep forgetting about it). I'm not sure how may amps the meth pump draws. I will have to look into it. If I am not wrong there is a 15 amp fuse on its controller

Jon summed it up. Were all looking for a solution.
Is it the charging circuit at fault, or is there truly that much draw at wot?
I guess we all need to step back a bit and troubleshoot before drawing conclusions.

I'm also setting back and hoping to see a solution.

My one thought is that if the voltage drop was possible to separate from the PCM(it controls so much), then a device like the farad caps could be used to supply the ignition current, or more. I know race cars with older ignition systems have the option to install 16v supply devices. Those are fed with normal main power cables, but the loads(ignition etc) are fed solely by that 16v source. I always thought those were a glorified super regulator, just a more stable voltage source. Racing needs that, ignitions draw a lot of current.

big load at WOT

Here's a plot of my engine start.
BatVCrank.jpg

Battery voltage drops to 10.6 v when the starter is cranking. That is comparable to your V8 and we both have 4 gauge wire to the starter. The PCM current increases with engine speed (but not significantly) because of the increase in fuel injector duty cycle. If you had a high resistance connection to the PCM (bad ground, poor diode, bad relay contacts) it would make the voltage reading inaccurate. However, your voltage readings indicate to me that isn't a problem.

The starter probably draws around 200 amps from the battery. When the engine isn't running the alternator isn't providing current. Your PCM voltage dropping to around 11.5 or so at WOT makes me think a load of around 100 amps or more is occurring at WOT that isn't present otherwise.

well, making it to the auto electric shop wont happen. raining right now. i will go and do a log of the truck off, and at WOT. i will see if i can do a start up as well (i dont think it will do a start up, something tells me it resets the sct when you do that). i think my next thing might be is to pull the meth pump off and do a datalog and see what it does, or the fans. those are the only 2 major electronic upgrades i have done with the stroker in the truck.

power sources?

. . . i think my next thing might be is to pull the meth pump off and do a datalog and see what it does, or the fans. those are the only 2 major electronic upgrades i have done with the stroker in the truck.

What are the power sources (which fuses) for the meth pump and the fans?

external diodes & voltage regulator

Dale, Can you find an upgraded regulator for the 4g? I am having no luck.
I'm surprised I can't find anywhere that someone has moved the regulator and rectifier to external. Once external, you have tons of options.

edit:
I have to wonder if this would be whats required to use an external regulator:
http://store.alternatorparts.com/partnof796bnc.aspx
Then, with adding a second heavy duty external rectifier everything would be moved outside of the alternator.

I looked online at Quick Start's high output alternators when I was researching my upgrade. The titles mention an upgraded voltage regulator but I didn't find a model with one when reading the details. Even their 250 amp alternator with the external rectified kit had the standard voltage regulator. After visiting awhile with Tom Coker (Carolina Alternators) I realized he was very knowledgeable and trusted him to assemble mine. He researched each component to determine what was available from suppliers and ordered the best parts to satisfy my desires. I did not want to lose engine compartment space to an external voltage regulator or rectifier.

The solid state voltage regulator in the 4G is fairly sophisticated using pulse width modulation to avoid sudden load on the engine at start and when a large load kicks in. The charge indicator will illuminate when the alternator voltage output is too low and I think when the output voltage exceeds a specific value (maybe 16.5 v). Some of the most sophisticated features are not implemented in the stock voltage regulator but mine may have one or more of them.

Back