Sync 3 w/ 500w Sony, terrible audio quality | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sync 3 w/ 500w Sony, terrible audio quality

Hmm mine was a corporate demo so I'd guess its early build. Any way to tell in the menus? I have the surround option

IIRC, the front tweeters in the 500W system near the door controls have some shiny chrome in them behind the black grill. I believe the speakers also have square coils.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hmm mine was a corporate demo so I'd guess its early build. Any way to tell in the menus? I have the surround option
This is what Ford ETIS shows for my Platinum. Not sure if that helps. Check to see what yours has listed.
  • Audio Option Pack 3
  • HD Radio Broadcast
  • Fixed Radio Antenna-Black
  • High Level With CD/MP3/AM/FM Radio
  • ICE Noise Reduction Module
  • Audiophille Speaker/AMP

IIRC, the front tweeters in the 500W system near the door controls have some shiny chrome in them behind the black grill. I believe the speakers also have square coils.

I do have the silver finish on the tweeters.

This is what Ford ETIS shows for my Platinum. Not sure if that helps. Check to see what yours has listed.
  • Audio Option Pack 3
  • HD Radio Broadcast
  • Fixed Radio Antenna-Black
  • High Level With CD/MP3/AM/FM Radio
  • ICE Noise Reduction Module
  • Audiophille Speaker/AMP

I will check that out..Thx

I saw the thread regarding a complete overhaul of the audio system, but does anyone have product specific recommendations to improve the sound in the premium system?

I am not familiar with car audio but Crutchfield doesn't seem to have much information on the 2017 version...I'm just looking to maybe upgrade the speakers and add an amp.

I totally missed all these replies..

Yeah I do have HD radio enabled. The problem I have is I think the center channel speaker gain is too high, and not completely in phase with the other speakers, creating a slight echo. I have seen on other Ford forums with the focus and flex that some owners are actually unplugging the center channel which has fixed the issue. I really don't want to do that.

I am pretty sure the tweeters are the same with the base and 500w Sony system. My "work" explorer tweeters look exactly the same as mine...

The window sticker shows I have the 500w system..

I am just upset the factory Rockford Fosgate system in my Titan and my wife's factory Pioneer system in her Chevy sounds better IMO.

I had the same options listed for audio as you did Peter.
I quite sure that you have the 500W system. The 2017 Order Guide shows the following as new for 2017 in the Sport 401A package;
Premium 500-Watt Sound from Sony® with Clear Phase® and Live Acoustics™
There was no notation that it was a "late availability" feature.
Do you have your Window Sticker? The member above said it was listed on his but mine, taken from the Explorer window, makes no mention of it.

Peter

Yeah I just double checked and it says "Sony 500w premium sound" below the 401a section on the sticker.

I have the upgraded audio in my 2017 Sport. About 4 to 5 minutes into my drive I get a quick audio skip or cut out. It only does it once and then it's fine. Not sure what to call it. It dosent do it every time and I only listen to satellite radio so not sure if FM will do it or not. Anyone else had this issue or any advice?

I have the upgraded audio in my 2017 Sport. About 4 to 5 minutes into my drive I get a quick audio skip or cut out. It only does it once and then it's fine. Not sure what to call it. It dosent do it every time and I only listen to satellite radio so not sure if FM will do it or not. Anyone else had this issue or any advice?
Hard to tell. If it does the same on AM and FM then it very well could be the radio.

Peter

I've been running FM the last few days and it's not done it, so it's dependably XM related.

I bet it's a connector at the shark fin antenna or the radio. Only the service department has the diagnostic tool to test coax up to the antenna.

I've been running FM the last few days and it's not done it, so it's dependably XM related.
When it does cut out on Sirius, does it do it in the same location on your route? If so, it could very well be a bad reception issue or 'dead spot'.

Peter

I thought that too, but no it does it in different spots.

I have not been impressed with the Ford or Sony audio systems. GM and FCA have better sound systems in their vehicles. I am looking forward to what Ford brings with Bang and Olufsen systems in 2018. BTW, the Lincoln Revel audio system is fantastic.

I have not been impressed with the Ford or Sony audio systems. GM and FCA have better sound systems in their vehicles. I am looking forward to what Ford brings with Bang and Olufsen systems in 2018. BTW, the Lincoln Revel audio system is fantastic.
Seriously? B&O?

They make real good looking sound systems, that is, if you buy a sound system for how it looks. lol

Sorry to disappoint you but there is no mention of the Bang and Olufsen system in the 2018 Explorer Order Guide or in the 2018 Explorer brochure. All make reference to the current Sony audio systems.

Peter

After some time with the system I can say it has grown on me. However the lack of audio tuning options (or almost ANY options for that matter) is still upsetting. Hopefully Ford does a big update of SYNC and adds some adjustability.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It isn't just you, Sirius is highly compressed. I'm actually shocked that more people don't complain about the horrible sound quality from Sirius. (Google "Sirius quality" and you'll find a lot of discussion on the topic.) Most cars come with mediocre sounds systems at best so it isn't as noticeable, especially driving around with the windows down... Sitting parked with the windows up and the 500W Sony system brings the sound warts to life! I've been very happy with the HD AM and FM radio (which was not enabled from the factory on my unit). I'm also very happy with the sound quality from Pandora.
I'm using sync2 and my sirius sounds perfect- built my own 4way towers and use Carver home audio.

Back