trailers lets see them!!!! | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

trailers lets see them!!!!

i do a ton of camping, 4-5 trips a year. I am so sick and tired of putting up and taking down the tent that i am going to build a teardrop trailer. What do you guys think? I will probably need a trailer with at least a 1,500lbs capacity to start.

These photos are not mine, but this build up will give you the basic idea
The Truck with a Heart

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Attachments

• camper_monvalley.jpg
    camper_monvalley.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 1,357

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

^^ that's a badass ex you got! I see a cummins pullin it!:biggthump looks like a great trip too!

Here's the Ex in South Dakota this Summer. The 5.0 pulls that little thing like it isn't there.

CampCuster2.jpg

Jack

That's in wildly great shape!

Not sure if you were referring to the tiny travel trailer in my post Flounder but it is about 3 years old. I posted a pic with a link a page back I think.
We just added the aluminum over the top this spring.

Jack

Damn you guys got some NICEE trailers, i gotta get me towin!!!

My latest acquisition, a 1966 military M416 trailer.

I've always wanted one of those. Perfect for my B2. About what could I expect to pay for one? I have plenty of ideas for accessories If I do get one.

Don't want to Hi Jack this thread, but I'm giving this some serious thought.
My years of sheet metal working, access to a shop and with a few hundred bucks, I could build the body with no problem. If I want it a foot longer or shorter I could easily do so. I even have axles. The reinforced body beads that are on the stock trailers could easily be done with welding square tubing there. And of course a SOA install.
I need a good utility trailer anyway and like the Military style of these.
If I do decide to build one I would copy the Military looks but with a standard hitch.

The way it sets up high would match my high mounted receiver hitch. And would be trail friendly.
Anybody knows if the rear body drops down like a pick-up? I would have to have this option?

And a Build thread if I do decide to Buy/Build one.
I will change the Stock Military Departure angle of 20 deg. now how did I know that?

I've always wanted one of those. Perfect for my B2. About what could I expect to pay for one?

Paid $260 for that one at auction. Sold it for $400 about a month later. You can find them for $400-600 in conditions like the one I had. When they get to over $1k they better be restored and therefore like new or they are not worth it. There are a ton of trailer builds, some that turned out very nice with roof top tents and more.

Made a nice profit on that trailer.
There are a ton of trailer builds, some that turned out very nice with roof top tents and more.

That's what I'm finding out by researching this.
Would like to have one built and tagged by next Fall. Like you say. a tent, portable hunting blind, standard fiberglass truck camper shell. This is where I could build it to fit the shell exactly.
I have already got the original building plans for one. I don't see on the plans where it has a drop down tailgate and that's probably because they were all welded construction so they would even float. At least the plans say they float.
If I build one all I would do for a finished edge around the bed would be to weld on square tubing or round tubing and miter the corners. I used to build commercial kitchen exhuast hoods which are more involved then these trailers, so I don't see any problem building one, not mentioning I already have experiance in building a tag along trailer when I built my Matching 84 B2 trailer.
Could always hit a few Military surplus shows, ebay for things like light housings and such.

...You might also find other useful dealers and ideas for adventure type trailers and accessories in the links found on this page...
http://www.trasharoo.com/iWeb/TRASHAROO /Dealers.html

...As for the tents, Froader has one of those mounted to his F150...He may be able to help you in that department for a tent for your trailer...;)

I was pondering a cheap camp trailer and as such looking at some beds with shells.

My ? is, what do you all think of taking a cab AND the bed. Take off everything front of the firewall and put the angle to the tongue on there? Do you think that'd be too much on the tongue weight with a stripped interior? No seats/dash etc, just storage; possibly lightweight like sleeping bags etc...

The extra space on an extended cab plus the bed trailer would be nice, but I don't want to overload by getting the trailer axle too far from the rear of my truck.

thoughts?

17' 10,000lb big tex. the damn thing isn't wide enough to fit a full size truck with big tires on it though. other than that it works awesome.
explorertrailer.jpg

You guys are going to be jealous of my trailer
its broken and a snowmobile doesnt fit but i made it fit
SNC00079.jpg

SNC00080.jpg

Yep, I'm definitely salivating on my keyboard on this one,
OK, let me get this straight, the trailer is broken and the snowmobile won't fit on it? I'm I right so far? Then you modified the trailer so the snowmobile will fit?
Now this is the part I don't understand. If the trailer is broken then how did making the snowmobil fit, fix the trailer? I'm I missing something here?

But I think I know what your implying :thumbsup: ha ha.

Well see i removed the front peice of wood because sled was to long. never thought it wouldnt be wide enough so we pulled it in there and it was sitting on an angle. i attached a ratchet strap to the from left a arm of the sled and started ratcheting. The angle iron holding the sides on the trailer broke at the welds and now the front looks like \_/ haha

Heres another pic of her ready for take off back to the city
DSC02275.jpg

Ok, now I got it :salute: I would love to have one of those.

Home built in 1984 by our welder @ work. Heavy duty hydraulic tilt deck w/8000 lb Warn winch, electric brakes both axles. Here with a new paint job.
1984CarTrailer1.jpg

Still going strong with who knows how many miles! Not quite as pretty but it IS 26 years old! Needs another paint job. Here I'm bringing my 2002 Sport Trac home from the sale. I think it's a bit too heavy to pull with my Trac when loaded.
090516.jpg

ill post mine too i guess. its a 6x21. picked up a camper frame dirt cheap, few hundred bucks. dont have any recent pics, but i added more running lights and tail lights, and swapped out every light to LED. added d-rings down the side every 18" i built it to haul ATV's put the sides on it so i could haul fire wood for a friend. works great. and im also sporting my old explorer rims haha..i think im going to build a bigger heavy duty one this summer to haul cars on, using a mobile home frame. cheap way to get a nice trailer

Alright, my dad's boat is just getting heavier as time goes by, but the Explorer handles it with no problem. It's got the factory 5 speed auto, 3.73 gears with trac-lok, oil cooler, etc. Boat is a 22 foot Seadoo Islandia Bombardier, with some custom work done. He's basically rebuilt the whole thing, from the engine to the roof. Still a work in progress, but nearing completion now.

Before:
166571_182218958468548_100000413362881_546321_1563824_n.jpg

After:
166571_182218961801881_100000413362881_546322_2947645_n.jpg

Back