1. for access to Ford Explorer and Ranger owner generated reviews and discussion, tech tips, how to articles, off-road modifications, events, and more! Since 1996 we have been the #1 Ford Explorer resource on the Internet. We also cover the Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer, Lincoln Navigator, Mazda Navajo, Mazda Pickups, and the Aerostar.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Trying to tune up my 2003 ford explorer 6 cyl 4.0 xlt

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by Edon, April 19, 2012.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Edon

Edon New Member

City, State:
      Yonkers, NY
      Year and Model:
      2003 Ford Explorer XLT
      Hey guys i am fairly new to this and probably this question has been asked before but i was wondering if anyone can help and explain to me how to do a full tune up to my car and what i need or should i just take it to the mechanic i am pretty good with fixing and doing things but i need some guidance. Thanx in advance. All the help is appreciated bc I am currently low on cash to take it to mechanics lol. Thanx again

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Edon

Edon New Member

City, State:
      Yonkers, NY
      Year and Model:
      2003 Ford Explorer XLT
      Anyone :)

4. madmansker

madmansker New Member

City, State:
      Sheboygan, WI
      Year and Model:
      2002 XLT
      If you do a search in this forum you will find all the answers you are looking for but normally a tune up is replace Spark Plugs, Spark Plug wires, Fuel Filter, Air filter, New Oil and Filter, Maybe some fuel system cleaner and depending on the mileage checking/replacing differential, and transfer case fluid. If you really get into it you can also flush/replace radiator/coolant and transmission fluid and filter. Good Luck with your tune up:burnout:

5. Edon

Edon New Member

City, State:
      Yonkers, NY
      Year and Model:
      2003 Ford Explorer XLT
      Thank you mad. Helps a lot

6. Mario81587

Mario81587 New Member

City, State:
      Newport, NC
      Year and Model:
      02 Mountaineer AWD
      I recently did a tune-up on mine (02 Mountaineer AWD V6). The fuel filter is a b***h to get off. I finally gave up and brought it somewhere and paid $20 to have it replaced. I even had the correct tool to remove it and still couldn't get it disconnected. Other than that, everything else was pretty easy to do. I removed my fuel injectors and soaked them in Seafoam over night as opposed to using a fuel injector cleaner through the gas tank.

7. swshawaii

swshawaii Explorer Addict

City, State:
      Kailua-Oahu, Hawaii
      Year and Model:
      '05 Sport Trac XLS (RWD)