Widened TTB Questions | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Widened TTB Questions

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i'd have to say i like the black one better too. looks like you can buy and drive straight to the desert/hills/rocks and romp it! the back end is built, the front end is built, and it claims it has a "built tranny" and its all one color. i would assume if it was built by mcneil it would have axles in it, since mcneil includes axle's with their work. and if you scrath it up, you can spray paint it flat black again :thumbsup:

if the engine is strong and the interior is clean, i would say this one is a better bet. it doesn't ahve c/o's but you'll still be able to pass everyone from the board through the washes :p:

the black one also has a really nice bumper on it, procomp 130 lights, and warn locking hubs :thumbsup:

but if you do get it, please take off all the famous stickers :eek:

RJ, i noticed the warn hubs too, and the bumper is pretty nice, a little big, but still nice. And i was thinking i would need to take off those famous stickers before i even take the thing home :p:

Hey Fenderguy, your explorer's pretty much what i'd be trying to achieve. :)

Ya, i actually just found out that you are the original fender guy a couple days ago, for a while there i was a little confused :)

Everything's looking good for this black truck. Extended axle shafts and geared front and rear by mcneil. :thumbsup: There's more good stuff, but i dont want to give it all away just yet :) So i'll be setting up a day and time to see it as the weekend gets closer.

I forgot to mention, the one problem he brought up was that sometimes the t-case wont shift into 4lo, but it shifts into 4hi no problem. Other than that the truck is problem free. Besides those blasted stickers!

It's the electric t-case...i'm almost sure.

Should be an easy fix then if it actually is having problems. Or you could do the RangerX style and leave a pair of vice grips on the shifter and climb under the truck shift it. :D

Otherwise there are a few thread on easy fixes/replacing the shift motor or finding the fuse that might be blown. Much easier than getting new extended shafts and regearing. :)

I wanted more info on it too. They have it hooked up so it's just a disc laying about 2" off the floor, and you just turn it to switch from 2wd to 4wd hi and lo. There are some pictures around here somewhere.

Matt, I really think you need to think about buying one for $2,000 and building it. I'm thinking a mint condition, never lifted truck, add an autofab kit, used 33 and wheels, gears, and you'll be into for less and know it wasn't rallied out in the dez.

I have thought about it, and it just wont work, for several reasons. 1) I have no money to get something else, then put money into that to build it and maintain it...what i get from the mounty will pay for the next vehicle. 2) I have no time to have an ongoing project. 3) I have no place to keep a project truck. I live in an apartment in a big city with no garage. It's hard enough to find a place to park the mountaineer. I can't have it at my parents' house either, and they live an hour away from me anyway. If i could keep the mountaineer AND get something else, i would.

^^^ is what i plan on doing here soon. Except im looking at a 2nd gen awd mounty for the project. Mounty71 there is a navajo on dezertrangers for 800 it needs some work but it might be a good starting point for a project.

Has converting a 2wd mountaineer, such as mine, to 4wd crossed your mind? :) I'd love it if my mountaineer stayed in the EF family.

I actually think converting a 2wd to 4wd would be alot more money then just buying an awd or 4wd and start from there. I have a buddy coming over tommorow to look at my explorer and he's probably gonna buy it.

I know, just thought i'd offer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back