Yet another, what do you think of this wheel thread | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Yet another, what do you think of this wheel thread

I agree with going 15 or 17. 16" just really limits your options, both in wheel selection and tires.

I saw that MB wheels are a Discount Tire brand of wheel. I saw your reply that you have a 3.725 Backspace on a 17" TKO. Do you know where a listing of backspace are on these wheels ?

I know I said I was done searching for the week, but my OCD kicked in, I can't give up until I find a wheel. :D

Is this the wheel you have ?

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/wheels/mb_wheels/product/submitProductSize.do?pc=47226&tmn=TKO&typ=Truck

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

17" not much better. :scratch: :D

I'm thinking the aftermarket wheels folks never paid much attention to the ST. If it's not a Jeep or GM you're SOL. I can't tell you the number of wheel finders I've typed in ST and they say sorry won't fit. I'm beyond that now, just start by searching bolt pattern and backspace and see what pops up.

That's how I did it. I didn't have too much trouble finding one though. I went with 3.75 BS.

Summit Racing's website is easy to navigate and they carry a wide variety of wheels. It's easy to choose the things you know you want like bolt pattern, backspacing and main color and then can dig through it like that. I think Tirerack is the same way. Made it a lot easier. I knew I had to have 17s since I already had the tires and I set a budget of $500 for all five wheels. I knew I was asking a lot, but did find what I needed and I actually like the wheels.

I found a few on Summit that I think you would like. I was on my phone at the time, though. It was more difficult to post links to them on that and I don't have them up any more. I think you can find something you'll like on there. A lot is going to depend on your budget, too, though. You can easily stay under $1,000. If you're stingy like me, expect more difficulty, lol.

Edit: Haven't used AutoAnything.com for wheels before but I have used them a lot in the past for other items and can't say enough great things about them. Since they're a vendor here now, I'd say maybe check them out, too.

Discount tire direct is like that too. Thats where i got my wheel/tire combo from

Man those wheels on the first post look wicked awesome! What color is your trac?

Right now I'm test fitting some 17x9 cobra wheels with 6" backspace and treadwright guard dog 315/70's, using 1/4", 1", & 2" wheel spacers so I can try different offsets. Also, I have been driving around for a while on 17x8's w/ 5" and 6" backspace, and I can guarantee that under "certain conditions", you CAN run 6" backspace, but a 285/70 doesn't fit those conditions!

With 5" backspace (6" minus 1" spacer) street tires fit great, but the 315/70's are probably too fat to allow full lock-lock turning while at full bump, but a 285 is a little smaller and the curved stock steering stops actually force the wheels to straighten out at full bump anyway, so maybe...

Man those wheels on the first post look wicked awesome! What color is your trac?

Right now I'm test fitting some 17x9 cobra wheels with 6" backspace and treadwright guard dog 315/70's, using 1/4", 1", & 2" wheel spacers so I can try different offsets. Also, I have been driving around for a while on 17x8's w/ 5" and 6" backspace, and I can guarantee that under "certain conditions", you CAN run 6" backspace, but a 285/70 doesn't fit those conditions!

With 5" backspace (6" minus 1" spacer) street tires fit great, but the 315/70's are probably too fat to allow full lock-lock turning while at full bump, but a 285 is a little smaller and the curved stock steering stops actually force the wheels to straighten out at full bump anyway, so maybe...

I have a white ST.

I have an 88LX with 98 Cobra Wheels, maybe I should start unbolting those. :D

That's all good info, Thank you.

Offtrac yeah I set a budget for wheels of $600.

Tire size is changing at the moment as well. Buddy was just over with his *cough* Dodge that has 35 x 12.50. I did some quick measuring, it was really about 34" tall and 12" wide, I think I could do that. Thanks to yours and 01ST looking good on 35's I've changed my mind again. I think...:scratch:

Where are you guys finding wheel spacers that will go on the front of our trucks? I have tried the spidertrax spacers and they will not work with the ford hubs.

Where are you guys finding wheel spacers that will go on the front of our trucks? I have tried the spidertrax spacers and they will not work with the ford hubs.

Not for sure, so take it for what's it worth (possibly worthless) but I believe it has to do with hub-centric spacers vs. non hub-centric spacers.:scratch:

Have you guys tried this wheel tire comparer calculator ?

http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp

I saw that MB wheels are a Discount Tire brand of wheel. I saw your reply that you have a 3.725 Backspace on a 17" TKO. Do you know where a listing of backspace are on these wheels ?

I know I said I was done searching for the week, but my OCD kicked in, I can't give up until I find a wheel. :D

Is this the wheel you have ?

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/wheels/mb_wheels/product/submitProductSize.do?pc=47226&tmn=TKO&typ=Truck

I called and talked to a sales rep for quite some time and he actually taught me a lot about wheels before I ever said I would purchase the wheels

And yes that's the wheel I have although it was 115 a piece early this summer.

As for the tire calculator, yes I've used it and it's also another useful tool.

I think hub centric spacers are better because it keeps everything centered on the rotor the way it was designed to be. However you must make sure the center bore is correct. I have hub centric spacers on the rear and love them.

I think I'm starting to narrow down my choices. Got two options I'm looking at. Let me know what you think, let it rip can't hurt my feelings. :D

Option 1

Raceline Raptor Wheel 16x8 still stuck on this wheel, considering 16's for the offset and tire is a true 33 tall.
5x4.5
0mm
592.jpg

with 305/70/16 Goodyear Duratracs
gy_wranglerdt_owl_ci2_l.jpg

or option 2
Black Rhino Sidewinder
17"
5/114
4.5 Backspacing
truck-wheels-rims-black-rhino-Sidewinder-6-lugs-black-std-700.jpg

with Goodyear Duratracs 315/70/17 34.4 Tall 12.7

Probably put a 1/4 Spacer in the front, possibly a 1.5 Spacer in the rear. Truck will be used in the Sand Dunes, little mud and about 7500 road miles/year.

I vote the Raceline Raptor but in 17X9 for the extra size. Plus that wheel pattern will look much better in a 17" over anything smaller. Most stock photos are of 18 or 20 inch wheels. I'd do a google image search of the 16" wheel on trucks and also the 17" on trucks since it's personal taste. Good choice with the DuraTracs from everything I've read and heard.

Back