Yet another, what do you think of this wheel thread | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Yet another, what do you think of this wheel thread

Newfy Trac

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Sport Trac
Sorry for another thread with this title. I've searched and searched the forum, but haven't found anything with these specs.

TT and AAL, installing a 3" BL. Looking to use a 285/70R17 Tire

I like the looks of the Raceline Raptor wheel, but not crazy about the only offset available. I was thinking about a 1" spacers around, but would rather not use spacers in the front.

Specs

17x9

5x4.5

0mm Offset

5.0 Backspace

Black

raceline_981_raptor_black.jpg

Thanks for any suggestions or tips.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the backspacing seems pretty hefty. see if they have anything within the 3.75 to 4.5 range. that kinda sucks that they dont have any wheels available in different offsets.

4.5" BS is too much. I would stay around 4" exactly because it's a 9" wide wheel. If you did do a 1" wheel spacer, it would be the same as running a 4" BS wheel anyway. I have a 17x8.5 with 3.75 bs and I swipe the sway bar at full lock and any little bump. Offtrac has 17x8 wheels with 4.25 BS and he hits the sway bar also. We both run 35x12.5 tires just fyi.
I think with the shorter and skinnier tires a 4" BS would be good. Maybe even a 3.75 for a little extra width with no cosmetic trimming.

As for the looks of the wheel. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

How is it 0 offset with 5" backspacing on a 9" wide wheel? Shouldn't 0 offset on a 9" be 4.5“? Maybe I don't have this all figured out.

What I do know for sure is 5" backspacing is too much.

Good looking wheel though.

Thanks for the replies.

What do you guys think about using a 1" spacer on all four corners ? Or should I keep wheel shopping ?

As long as a 1 inch completely covers the stock wheel lugs so they don't rub on the wheel. I can't remember how far those stick out or if you would need a 1.25" spacer to fully cover them. With a 5" BS it would put the wheels closer to the stock BS so I think it would be ok

I ran a similar sized tire with 1.5" spacers. I think it was a good setup. I had the stock 16" wheels but the tires were about the same as you're looking at. Of course, with that much backspacing, even with 1.5" spacers, you're going to be tucked in a little more than I was. My suggestion would be 1.5" on the front, 2" on the rear. Here's what mine looked like with 32s on 16x7s with 4" backspacing and 1.5" spacers all around.

IMG_3211.jpg

IMG_2609-1.jpg

I was hoping for more tire sticking out. I figured with the 17X9 I might get that.

Offtrac, after looking at you registry I really like the way you truck sits now with the 35's. What do you have for wheel/tire combo now ?

17x8 Pro Comp Rock Crawlers with 4.25" backspacing wrapped in 35x12.5 BFGoodrich KM2s. No spacer on front, 1.5" on rear.

A 9" wheel would be a good way to get more width out of it but that 5" backspacing will kill it. It's gonna suck that wheel inside the wheel wells. It is very difficult to find a wheel in a 17" or 18" diameter that has a workable backspacing, believe me, I know. I spent a lot of time researching wheels before deciding on the Pro Comps.

I think it's time for me to move on from the Raptor wheel.

Boy you're not kidding finding the right BS for wheels.

I found this today, Black Rhino 17x9 4.5 BS with -12.00MM Offset.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BLW-63495/

That's close. You could get a .25" or .5" spacer on the front and be sitting perfect. Add a 1.5" spacer on the rear and you'll have a nice stance.

Those look good but I'm having trouble picturing them with an aggressive tread on a ST. I'm not the imaginative type, though.

It think it would be like a lot of the lifted super duties running like 20" wheels.

You guys ever get to the point of giving up finding "the right wheel" ?

My frickin head is killing me from looking at every possible wheel out there, then finding something that will fit, but looks ghetto. :confused: I must be to picky.

I've been wanting wheels for a while, I'm in the same boat as you though. Im currently liking this style: http://www.ebay.com/itm/16x8-Matte-...-/160864671580?forcev4exp=true#ht_3886wt_1271

That's a good looking wheel. :thumbsup: I see it has 0 Offset, does that mean it has a 4" BS, I'd look it up but can't take anymore wheel shopping this week. :)

*I now see if has a 4.45 BS

I've thought about going the 16" wheel route, but what I've read people are saying for 15 or 17 not 16. I haven't even found a tire yet, hopefully that's easier. Looking at 33 x 12.5 x 17 in maybe the Duratracs.

It seems like so many of the wheels have to much back spacing. I looked at that wheel in a 17" like you want and its 5.5" back spacing for a 17x8.5 rim.

It seems like so many of the wheels have to much back spacing. I looked at that wheel in a 17" like you want and its 5.5" back spacing for a 17x8.5 rim.
The majority of 16" and up aftermarket wheels have a GM-type offset even if they have a Ford bolt pattern.

I agree with going 15 or 17. 16" just really limits your options, both in wheel selection and tires.

I agree with going 15 or 17. 16" just really limits your options, both in wheel selection and tires.

17" not much better. :scratch: :D

I'm thinking the aftermarket wheels folks never paid much attention to the ST. If it's not a Jeep or GM you're SOL. I can't tell you the number of wheel finders I've typed in ST and they say sorry won't fit. I'm beyond that now, just start by searching bolt pattern and backspace and see what pops up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Jeep TJ wheels have the same bolt pattern but you may need spacers for a Gen 1 Trac. Gen 2 no.

Back