• Register Today It's free!

your opinion on tires?

jaschlum

Reaction score
City, State
Kenmore , WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer XLT
So im looking at getting some new tires. this is my daily driver, but i also will be taking it off road and in the mud. i know the BFG AT is a good tire, but im not sure if its off road abilities are great, any thoughts? then im also thinking about the dunlop mud rovers.

the dunlop mud rover

the bfg

Attachments

• du_radmudrover_owl_ci2_l.jpg
    du_radmudrover_owl_ci2_l.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 428
  • bfg_alterr_tako_ci2_l.jpg
    bfg_alterr_tako_ci2_l.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 423

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

BFG ATs are a good all around offroad tire from what i hear. they wear extremely well on and off road and perform well in the dirt and rocks. i think once you get to the more hardcore stuff though, you will be looking for a more radical MT tire.

The BFG AT tire is a great off-road tire. But, its NOT a mud tire. It does clean iteself ok in wet stuff, but anything sticky will make it a slick tire.

They do wear well and ride well, so for a DD that also goes off-road it would work great unless your idea of off-road is Mud in which case you "Might" want to look into a MT tire but they won't ride near as nice or last as long.

~Mark

I have a bud with a Jeep that's had BFs for the past 3 years.. He does a ton of some serious wheeling here in the North East. When new, but the BF's were a great tire but like Maniac said they load up in sticky mud and become all but useless. Sense the BF's, he and I have been on the hunt for the best all round tire there is... We settled on Cooper tires, He has the STT and I have the Discovery ST-C, both in 33s... these are
American made and tough as nails.

http://www.coopertire.com/html/products/tires_lighttruck.aspx?page=discoverer_atr

Lots of tires co.s with good tires out there but only two are made in the US and only one is as good as Cooper (Micky Thompson and Avon are owned by Cooper.)

In my humble opinion,

Harl :):usa:

Mark is absolutely right- if your wheeling includes mud, don't bother with an all-terrain. BFG's KM2s are amazing tires both on and offroad. That said, my Ex has bias ply tires, which suck the balls on the road, but decimate all on the trails. My next set will likely be radial BFGs.

Pro Comps

Take a look at the Pro Comp Xtreme M/Ts. I'm not sure your budget but these are worth a look. I've had the 33" version of these on mine for 2 years/ seasons and they're quite, drive like the Brdge. Duelers A/Ts I had on there before ( on road*) and perform very well in snow, mud and rocks. I haven't had them in sand so I couldn't help you there. They aren't as soft a compound as the Goodyear M/Ts and the BFG KM2s so they aren't wearing as fast as my buddies, I still have siping left and I use my rig as a daily driver they don't. :D

alright guys thanks a ton for your input. i think (one i get the $) that ill just go with the BFG ats

I just bought a set of 32x11.50 Bfg A/Ts, I did my research and they seem to score the highest in all the right areas. I just hope they last longer than my old Kumhos.
I had them mounted to some new M/T Sidebiter 15x8's, they look pretty sweet together.

alright guys thanks a ton for your input. i think (one i get the $) that ill just go with the BFG ats

Where are you going to wheel? It makes a difference ;)

Another tire to look at is Goodyear's Dura Trac. It's a fairly aggressive all terrain that's also rated for snow. A lot of the fleets around here that run their trucks off road use them and and seem pretty happy with them. I just picked up a set but haven't mounted them so I can't give you personal experience yet.

BFG A/T are a very good choice from my experience for a DD/Off road rig. They have a good look, wear very well...I've got close to 50k on mine and some to go. I also have done a fair amount of off roading. They have been great in the snow and mud, of course our mud is mostly wet which makes a difference as others have mentioned. However, I also am a strong believer that tall and skinny is absolutely the only way to go for off roading in mud/snow in a mid-size rig. I'm running 33 x 9.5's, the skinnier tires also allow you to go taller without rubbing.

Good luck with the new sneakers!

[/QUOTE]
Where are you going to wheel? It makes a difference ;)

im not entirely sure yet. probably no super deep mud pits.. but some mud. i dont know all the places to go for moderate to easy wheelin in washington. walker?

I'm running 33 x 9.5's, the skinnier tires also allow you to go taller without rubbing.

intresting. does anyone else have an opinion on width and size? im planning on getting these after coil spacers and warrior shackles, and a body lift.

I'm currently running 33x12.50x15 on 15x8 Soft 8 steel rims ( you'll have to consider your backspacing with wider tires) and the spacer/ shackle BL setup. You'll have to trim the front fenders just a bit for clearance, not a huge deal for most but something to think about if you don't want to cut yer truck.
Also ( and you were asking for opinions), if your going to be muddin in mud pits you may want to consider something a little more agressive even if it means having a used set of Swampers stored away for play to swap out.
:salute:

I second the cooper suggestion, I have the STT in a 31x10.5, and I love them. They wear really well, as I have over 15k on mine with no appreciable tread loss, and they are competitively priced. If you are worried about longevity, I would look long and hard at the ST, since that is almost as aggressive, but available in a d load range so they will wear longer.

mastercraft has a good off road tire I work for the local ford dealer and we put them on some trucks where i live which is nothing but mining roads which is never in the best of shape and they do great and they are priced very reasonable so i look into them before i make my decision

I might as well throw my 2 cents. I bought the General Grabber A/T 2 which look similar to the BFG A/T but cost quite cheaper. I have used them offroad, in snow and ice, and everday driving and love them. They are the best all around tire i ever had. Click Me for info about the General Grabber A/T 2

im not entirely sure yet. probably no super deep mud pits.. but some mud. i dont know all the places to go for moderate to easy wheelin in washington. walker?[/QUOTE]

Look over the trails listed here and tell us which ones you'd like to try;

http://www.nwjeepn.com/WAtrails.htm

Someone in the group has proabably done them with the exception of 'Pucker Ridge':eek:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back