The definative '96 - '01 PATS, Fuel Pressure, Injector, and Wiring Harness Thread | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The definative '96 - '01 PATS, Fuel Pressure, Injector, and Wiring Harness Thread

I had posted the quote below some time ago and it appears to be true as my transmission shifts exactly as I expect it to. The shift pattern needs to be 'tuned' as the Volvo is a thousand pounds lighter than the Explorer and the rear end ratio is substantially different. At least those two items are still on my unresolved list. The fine details of how to mix and match early/late harnesses and late Digital Transmission Range Sensors (DTR) with early/late PCM's stills seems to be outstanding. I escaped the above by having harness/DTR/PCM of the same era.

I suspect that the DTR, which is the external switch unit on the shift shaft, could be added to the '96-'97 transmissions and with appropriate harness modification will work just fine with the later PCM.

57Relocatedtransmissionharnessmounting.jpg

The transmissions did not change internally during this series.

Anyone solving merging all this please post to this thread what works and what doesn't.

Earlier posts left the transmission control issue hanging regarding whether the Variable Speed Sensor (VSS) or the (Transmission) Output Shaft Sensor (OSS) provided input to the PCM for shift management.

I just found a note on page 30-3 of the Wiring Diagrams associated with the OSS that reads:

"The frequency from this sensor supplies the PCM with output shaft speed information. This information is used in determining shift scheduling, torque converter engagement schedules and EPC pressure."

That is in reference to the 2WD vehicles. The Variable Speed Sensor (VSS), located on the rear axle, is input for the PCM apparently only on the 4WD vehicles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I found them on ebay, they are for the 99 ish rangers that had vaccum hubs with our style front diff ifs setup, so you gotta get new unit berrings and halfshaft and a few other small parts ,but IMO it was well worth it and a natural match for the selectable t-case, as for the range sensor I have been looking for one online and its around 40 to 60 bucks depending on the brand, I'll be using motorcraft,

I had posted the quote below some time ago and it appears to be true as my transmission shifts exactly as I expect it to. The shift pattern needs to be 'tuned' as the Volvo is a thousand pounds lighter than the Explorer and the rear end ratio is substantially different. At least those two items are still on my unresolved list. The fine details of how to mix and match early/late harnesses and late Digital Transmission Range Sensors (DTR) with early/late PCM's stills seems to be outstanding. I escaped the above by having harness/DTR/PCM of the same era.

I suspect that the DTR, which is the external switch unit on the shift shaft, could be added to the '96-'97 transmissions and with appropriate harness modification will work just fine with the later PCM.

Anyone solving merging all this please post to this thread what works and what doesn't.
It has been done by a few members , I just got lucky at that time and fell into a low miles 97 that wasn't worth flipping ( my buddy and i fixed and sold over half a dozen second gens last year)

I found them on ebay, they are for the 99 ish rangers that had vaccum hubs with our style front diff ifs setup, so you gotta get new unit berrings and halfshaft and a few other small parts ,but IMO it was well worth it and a natural match for the selectable t-case, as for the range sensor I have been looking for one online and its around 40 to 60 bucks depending on the brand, I'll be using motorcraft,

Got it. But right now you have a 96/97 range sensor in your truck?

Okay, and still did you feed the PCM with the OSS signal instead of a VSS(that your trans doesn't have)?

Got it. But right now you have a 96/97 range sensor in your truck?

Yes along with a 97 tranny, I just swapped it in along with a 97 tranny harness,

Yes along with a 97 tranny, I just swapped it in along with a 97 tranny harness,

Okay, I'm thick and missed the trans swap. Save the other one though, the 98+ model 4R's have a stronger intermediate clutch in them, a mechanical diode design.

Thanks for the contributions of everyone here. I used this thread to settle on the 1997 Explorer PCM, to run my 302 in my 1991 Lincoln Mark VII. It's the best choice to retrofit to a 302 and 4R70W in an older Ford that doesn't have the odd parts(Explorer ABS, g-force transducer, and rear diff VSS).

I'll just have to use the pre-98 range sensor instead of the DTRS of 98 and up.

Which MY wiring harness are you going to use?

While I am thinking about it how about an inventory of sorts for all the variables? With some notes on what needed to be done to make it work that might come close to wrapping it up.

Here is mine and it is easy since almost everything is a '00 MY.

Engine - 2000 Explorer 302
Transmission - 2000 Explorer 4R70W w/DTRS - required the replacement of the tail housing with one from an AOD to accommodate a modified drive shaft.
PCM - 1999 Explorer 302 - required a custom tune to disable PATS and turn off a number of OBDII codes.
Wiring harness - 2000 Explorer
Cam Position Sensor - 2000 Explorer
Fuel rail/injectors - 2000 Explorer - required the addition of an external fuel pressure regulator adjusted to 65psi.

If anyone sees another variable that I missed please let us know.

Which MY wiring harness are you going to use?

While I am thinking about it how about an inventory of sorts for all the variables? With some notes on what needed to be done to make it work that might come close to wrapping it up.

Here is mine and it is easy since almost everything is a '00 MY.

Engine - 2000 Explorer 302
Transmission - 2000 Explorer 4R70W w/DTRS - required the replacement of the tail housing with one from an AOD to accommodate a modified drive shaft.
PCM - 1999 Explorer 302 - required a custom tune to disable PATS and turn off a number of OBDII codes.
Wiring harness - 2000 Explorer
Cam Position Sensor - 2000 Explorer
Fuel rail/injectors - 2000 Explorer - required the addition of an external fuel pressure regulator adjusted to 65psi.

If anyone sees another variable that I missed please let us know.

That sounds good, well done.

So for yours to feed the VSS to the PCM, did you use the OSS from the side of the 4R70W?

My 1991 Lincoln Mark VII has an old Ford wiring system. It's EECIV, but it also has tons of fusible links, individual relays scattered around the car, each being unique and not swappable. If you leave any lights on, the battery drains completely.

Lastly all Mark VII's have only two harnesses, which lead almost end to end of the car. They overlap in the middle seating area, plus there are tons of extra wires included. The ABS wiring, JBL stereo wiring, and air spring suspension accounts for a good 40+ wires buried within the two harnesses.

That's a ton of wires to mess with to integrate anything into, so I shall not do that. It's old and fragile for sure. I'll remove it all, as I've scrapped 5-6 similar cars with a friend.

I'm going to soon find a set of wiring harnesses from a 99-04 Mustang GT automatic. Those are OBDII, the body is the closest match to a Fox body, which is what a Mark VII is. I will gut my car and fit the Mustang wiring into it, which will be the easy part. Then I'll slowly and carefully cut and splice all of the end devices from my old car, into the new wiring. So the old harness will get cut up to use the end connectors and short lengths of wire.

The dash wiring will be the hardest part. The mustang harness is not complicated or big, but routing things and finding space will be interesting. While I'm in it doing that, I plan to add the GEM module from a 98-01 Explorer(so it's a swap part with my Mercury), to control the battery saver functions, and the convenience of running the windows etc, after turning the ignition off. I need the cruise control from the GEM, since the 90-92 Mark VII has that in the PCM. I'm hoping to add memory seats to the car, with mirror control, from a 95-97 Town Car. I'm still hunting for that car.

Under the hood it will look like a combination of a later Mustang engine bay and the Explorer engine.

1991 Lincoln Mark VII
PCM from a 1997 Explorer
Wiring from a 99-04 Mustang GT auto. I will combine the engine harness from an Explorer with the 4.6 harness, to maintain as much of the 99-04 wiring as possible
347 engine, 4R70W trans, 97 range sensor, J-Mod
Mark VIII electric fan with PVM controller
ABS module and hydro-boost from 99-04 Mustang
EATC from the 96/97 Explorer
Memory seat/mirrors from 95-97 Town Car, seat track made from an Explorer unit with Mark VII feet
Kenwood KVT-614 DVD player, Garmin, back up camera, TPMS display
Steering wheel controls using a Mercury Marauder steering column and wheel, TC airbag
Then custom paint and upgraded suspension

Late at night . . .

. . . I accidentally found this:

http://forums.corral.net/forums/11263005-post20.html

You can mail me the PCM and I can reflash it and turn it off for $100 bucks plus return shipping

That's the best deal around!

Between engine swaps and PATS hardware failure a $100 fix is cheap. Based on my research I knew it was only a toggle of one code line but it required the correct equipment and software plus knowledge to accomplish.

Mustangs only?

It is very easy to disable PATS - only one calibration constant needs to be switched.
PATSDisable.jpg

However, if using SCT's Advantage III and PowerFlash it can be an expensive capability. For individual users Advantage III is licensed for a specific Ford PCM strategy/catch code. There is an additional license fee for each additional catch code. Typically different models (Mustang vs Explorer) and different years (1998 vs 1999 Explorer) have different catch codes. The SCT PowerFlash to reprogram the PCM is PCM specific and must be cleared by SCT after 5 different PCMs.

I agree that $100 is quite reasonable but the provider may only support Mustangs.

Very true.

Some people have equipment that used to be dealer only and/or not possible to acquire. There may be such a device that can do more than the common knowledge flashers and software for those.

Lots of people can do amazing things now with the old EECIV systems, and they easily work on every car they come across. I didn't want to begin learning those old EECIV tricks and which devices to buy. I waited for the OBDII systems to become easy for most people to work with, though it's still a single device you have limits on for how they apply to certain vehicles, five PCM's at most for example.

I bought three 1997 PCM's recently. I plan to use them for my 1991 Lincoln, and my old 1973 Ranchero later.

Can a 97 PCM be used to eliminate PATS in later
models, such as 98,99, and 00?

Yes . . . but . . .

. . . it gets complicated. First big issue is the fuel injection system. The wiring harness, injector connectors, injectors and fuel rail are different. Oh! . . . and add a fuel return line. In effect, you have to convert the engine . . . and transmission back to the earlier configuration. All this is discussed in some detail in this thread.

The software disable linked in post #193 is the most cost effective solution . . . if the guy is still doing that.

The 97 PCM is the same throughout the model year, same computer, for both EGR versions. I have two of them now, to use for my 91 Mark VII and my 72 Ranchero. I'm leaning to use the internal EGR for my Lincoln if I can, without the intake elbow in either case.

I was told that the 96/97 PCM is equally good for controlling any pushrod Ford V8, mild to blown etc. So the PATS is just in the way for non Explorer swaps.

Remember too, the 96/97 PCM does not need the Explorer ABS module to "condition" the VSS signal before it reaches the computer. The VSS goes straight to the PCM prior to 1998.

The 1998 PCM is the real oddball, that has virtually the same wiring as the 99-01, but without the fuel system changes.

I just bought a 97 engine/trans/PCM wiring harness from a 302 Explorer, with the internal EGR. I got the upper intake also, and I think I'll need one more of them, plus two lowers. That wiring harness is larger than I thought it was going to be, and tough to remove.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No its not look back at that thread

Back