Inner fender air inlet | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Inner fender air inlet

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
When I recently installed my new Amsoil EaU air filter ( http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158049&highlight=amsoil+air+filter post # 8 ), I got to looking at the inner fender where the stock air box draws its air, and the holes are very small. I decided to open up the area to let more “outside” air in.

After removing the air filter as well as the custom MAF mount and MAF, I took a sawzall and cut a 4” hole in the area that Ford had recessed.

I didn’t like the appearance of this raw opening, so I went to Home Depot and purchased a 4” plumbing flange ( white PVC ). After test fitting the flange, I sanded the surface and cleaned with acetone. Since I didn’t like the appearance of the white color, I shot it with Krylon Fusion ( http://www.dickblick.com/zz014/11 ) flat black paint ( 3 coats ).

The flange was attached to the fender with sheet metal screws.

The project is the kind of task one accomplishes when a little spare time is on hand. The total cost of this 1 hour venture was less than $5.00.

I have no idea if this will have any benefit other than looking good ( and you really can’t see it with the filter in place.

Attachments

• flange.jpg
    flange.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 3,625
  • flangeinhole.jpg
    flangeinhole.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 3,636
  • filterandhole.jpg
    filterandhole.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 3,620

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ah, now I see why you were asking me about fender space. ;)

I love your posts, just love them Al

Now I know what I am doing this weekend, I can spare me $5

Nice mod Al. I am thinking of just drilling like 12 1/2 holes in the fender well were the airbox is. I love your idea but am not good with the skil saw.

al, did this actually make any noticable difference in driving/performance?

as I was thinking, Doesnt the stock airbox just pull air from behind the right headlight and not even from the side fender wall? If I remeber correctly, the stock box has a small "horn" shaped cone on the front of the box and thats it

Afboy143 said:
as I was thinking, Doesnt the stock airbox just pull air from behind the right headlight and not even from the side fender wall? If I remeber correctly, the stock box has a small "horn" shaped cone on the front of the box and thats it

That's what I was thinking. I pulled out my Volant box last night and it looks like that's where all the fresh air would come in anyhow.

I conducted a repeat of a previous test comparing truck speed and IAT ( http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143720&highlight=iatnb ) with the fender intake in place.

The test parameters were as follows: various truck speeds from 20 to 70 MPH, determined by GPS ( Dead Link Removed ), ambient temperature determined by the vehicle’s outside temperature display, IAT from PCM as reported to OBD II scanner ( http://www.autoxray.com/default.htm ).
The truck was driven for 10 minutes at each speed on cruise control and then the IAT was noted and recorded.

For each of the tests, the Black Magic Extreme 180 electric fan ( Dead Link Removed ) was on continuously via manual control.
-----------------------------------------------

Speed Ambient temperature IAT in degrees F

20 88 90
30 88 91
40 88 89
50 88 89
60 88 88
70 88 88

After the highway testing, I took the truck into town and drove in traffic ( stop and go ) for 10 minutes and then recorded IAT.

Stop and go traffic: ambient temperature- 88 F, IAT – 134 F

Finally, I let the truck run while parked in my driveway for 10 minutes and then recorded IAT and was repeated with the hood open.

Running in Park: ambient temperature – 89 F, IAT – 164 F
Running in Park with open hood: ambient temperature - 89 F, IAT - 129 F.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Temperature differential degrees F
Speed previous test this test
20 3 2
30 3 3
40 1 1
50 1 1
60 1 0
70 2 0

stop and go traffic 60 46
idling hood closed 93 75
idling hood open 50 40

----------------------------------------------------------

The IAT is significantly reduced in stop and go traffic and when ideling, whereas the temperature change at speed is only effected at speeds of 60 MPH and above where the IAT is equal to the ambient temperature.

My primary concern is how this will effect gas mileage and this will be determined on a 1500 mile road trip in the near future.

FYI That flange is a closet flange for toilets, and you can get them in different materials/colors.

Niocely done Aldive, my BII has an "In Sink Erator" stainless steel ring from a garbage disposal mounted on the rad support for my air intake :)
Works great, not quite 4" dia though...

Al. this is interesting stuff. I'm not seeing the "before and after" comparison (i.e. with or without the hole in the fender) using your testing methodology. I assume you could plug the hole with a piece of cardboard or something, run the tests, then assuming the ambient temperature stays the same, do it again?

Am I misssing something? I am genuinely intested in these results. I can't see anyone else going through this trouble!

celly said:
Al. this is interesting stuff. I'm not seeing the "before and after" comparison (i.e. with or without the hole in the fender) using your testing methodology.

The previous data data was referenced in the first part of the post >>I conducted a repeat of a previous test comparing truck speed and IAT ( http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...highlight=iatnb ) with the fender intake in place.<<

I assume you could plug the hole with a piece of cardboard or something, run the tests, then assuming the ambient temperature stays the same, do it again?

I do not plan on doing it again. I got the information I sought.

Am I misssing something? I am genuinely intested in these results. I can't see anyone else going through this trouble!

Not a lot of trouble. As a former research scientist, I just like to have facts when I do a modification.

I do have plans in the works for additional ducting to get fresh air in and out of the engine compartment.

Gotcha. The beancounter in me likes results summarized in one place in a succint table or something. I'll take your words that you observed an improvement in temps. I just didn't see it. ;)

Looking forward to see what you come up with. :thumbsup:

soooo, all science aside...good stuff or not worth it?

pfeffer1728 said:
soooo, all science aside...good stuff or not worth it?

Seems to make a difference when you're idling and in stop and go. Is that of practical benefit? I'll let others debate that. I always get lost in these air temp debates.

For $5.00, yes its well worth it.

Its real value to me will not be established until gas mileage data is in.

aldive said:
For $5.00, yes its well worth it.

Its real value to me will not be established until gas mileage data is in.

I read a thread where a guy claimed he got 50 mpg in his Saturn by developing a "warm air intake". I never bothered reading the details. Perhaps you're headed in the wrong direction? ;)

EDIT: Here is the Saturn thread.

yeah, but...that dude drove a saturn.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

aldive, couldnt you fabricate some type of sheetmetal box to house the filter? then it would be a cold air intake, or colder, at that point then drawing jsut underhood temp air

Back