• Register Today It's free!

My 2nd gen. Half doors

grant00

Reaction score
City, State
Folsom, CA (home); Pomona, CA (school)
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT 4.0 SOHC
As the title says, Im making half doors for my 2nd gen. I have a 4 door and Im only doing the front 2 at this point, havent decided if ill do that back but probably not. My friend recently made some for his XJ so hes going to be guiding me along and what not. I got the doors the other day from a fellow member parting out and explorer and got them stripped and marked for cutting (that will come this week most likely). Im only doing one at a time so I have the other for reference. Im going to be cutting the inner and outer part of the door and fully welding along both sides with a piece of sheet metal in the middle. The door latch will be the stock latch inside as it shows in the second picture. The upper frame of the door will be cut off so they will be true half doors in theory. The first picture is of my friends jeep that Im modeling my doors after:
jeep.jpg

And heres what I have so far done to mine. you can see the sharpie lines drawn where I will be cutting them and the frame will be cut just above the mirrors:
IMG_1757.jpg

IMG_1758.jpg

More pictures to come as I progress on them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thats pretty cool. Cant wait to see what the end result looks like.

i like it. i always loved (and still do) running doorless on my old cherokee. i cant wait to see how it turns out. maybe ill have to find a spare set of doors.

Thanks. Yea he ran doorless for a while till he almost lost his phone out the side :rolleyes:

Subscibing...not that I would ever do this to JP

Subscribing also as I'm planning on doing this on my first gen once I find a matching set of doors. You pretty much took the idea right out of my head. Did you take the original doors off yet to see how these fit?

Those things are going to look sick keep us posted.

Subscribing also as I'm planning on doing this on my first gen once I find a matching set of doors. You pretty much took the idea right out of my head. Did you take the original doors off yet to see how these fit?

No I havent yet. I might do that this week but the upper frame on one is kinda messed up so it might not fit right anyways..

EDIT: and they dont really have to be matching since the paint is going to get stripped off anyways because of welding and cutting... these doors are green and my X is white.

Ok so got the first door all cut up except for a little more that needs to be trimmed above the mirror. Should be doing that within the next day or 2 hopefully. Heres some pics :D
IMG_1759.jpg

IMG_1760.jpg

IMG_1761.jpg

Nice! I was just outside earlier tonight making a template for making my half doors. I was planning on keeping the top frame of the door though. I'm definitely subscribing!

yeah I was too cmhaah06, but one had a dent and my elbow goes where the door frame would be I it was left on since these doors are shorter than the ones for a 2 door. plus the frame is actually pretty heavy. the doors are like 1/4 the weight of what they were before with the glass and everything in. Im expecting to have one welded up by the end of this weekend and the other one cut.

This is exactly what I wanted to do.... but with a extra set of doors... but right now I'm making a 3in. full length cowl hood out of a spare hood...

Well got the fort piece of angle steel welded in one door today. got the other one stripped and marked for cutting tomorrow. and got my buddys jet ski motor rebuilt all in one day! :D more welding and cutting tomorrow. @%#$ rivets and latch screws are a pain :rant: had to drill out 2 of the screw in addition to the 6 or so that I have to drill out already :rolleyes: oh well. heres pics
IMG_1765.jpg

IMG_1764.jpg

IMG_1763.jpg

Are those Buzz Lightyear feet part of the end result? :D

Cant wait to see how these turn out! :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back