Heater Core Rpl - Box still stuck near center! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Heater Core Rpl - Box still stuck near center!

ttbit

Reaction score
City, State
Maryville,TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 ST 5.0 sold
'07 ST8
I am trying to replace the heater core and need a couple more inches to get the thing out. The box seems to be stuck near the center of the vehicle. My CD says there are 4 nuts but then only points out 3 (nice manual Ford). If there is a 4th, where the heck is it and do you get to it from inside the vehicle or the eng compartment?

Looking at other posts and pictures of interiors completely gutted, it seems like there is a hole near the center of the tranny tunnel on the firewall. I don't see it in the eng compartment unless my engine is blocking it. Also can't find it in the passenger compartment with the dash dropped down.

Seems that I have the dash out enough and moves around easily, it really seems that this box is still bolted somewhere as the end closest to the driver's side is still pegged to the firewall.

Thanks for any help. This is on my 2001 ST, but it looks like a lot of people have tackled this one on the regular Explorer forum so I thought I would post here. My luck, the 2001 ST adds a bolt and a 5.0 blocks you from getting it.

Don

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is a bolt on the inside of the truck --passenger floor board area. Did you get that one yet? It looks like it holds on the inner air duct, however it does go thru and hold the whole box to the firewall.

There is also one in the center firewall under the hood, as you mentioned.

There is a bolt on the inside of the truck --passenger floor board area. Did you get that one yet? It looks like it holds on the inner air duct, however it does go thru and hold the whole box to the firewall.

There is also one in the center firewall under the hood, as you mentioned.

I did get the one in the passenger floor board area. That online video with that certified mechanic needs a video answer! The evap/blower assy came out easily after that one.

I still have not found the bolt in the center of the firewall. I just cannot see it. I have a 5.0. I was PM'd by someone who had this issue before and they also confirmed a center nut. Can you describe how low it is to the intake or know where I can see a diagram? I have a Ford PUBS CD, but it does not show the 4th location.

Well, I slept and my bright LED shop light has had a good charge. I will hit it here in an hour or 2 and see what I can find.

Thank you,
Don

That stud is a bugger to get to,

Look behind the passenger side head-right down under all the egr and heater bypass hose area. You'll find a stud poking through the firewall.

The heater ore is actually removed from inside the truck though. Once you have the dash pulled back you are good to go. Been here 2 times now with a v8.

I tried to get a picture of where the stud is, but there is so much stuff in the way on an assembled truck, no way for a good view. Sorry.

That stud is a bugger to get to,

Look behind the passenger side head-right down under all the egr and heater bypass hose area. You'll find a stud poking through the firewall.

The heater ore is actually removed from inside the truck though. Once you have the dash pulled back you are good to go. Been here 2 times now with a v8.

I tried to get a picture of where the stud is, but there is so much stuff in the way on an assembled truck, no way for a good view. Sorry.

Thanks to you and "lizardflats" I found the stud. I ended up looking at my pictures from when I had the engine out last time and saw exactly where it was. The reason I couldn't find it was due to it being blocked by the heat/sound material around it. I ended up having to lie on the engine while getting a 1/4" drive with a 11mm socket to get it. Could only get to it one way. I had to get my wrist and hand juuussst right. My fuel lines and main engine harness made it difficult.

I have the new core in, box bolted back up and dash up but not torqued yet. Will due some test runs with the heat/air and make sure I have no leaks before buttoning it up completely. That heater core was pretty dry, but everything around it was wet. I'll be one ticked off guy if it was a hose or something else!

Was your replacement aluminum or other? Mine was copper/brass/mix but the one I pulled was a nice looking aluminum version that was half the weight. I wonder which one will last longer... Hmmmm.....

The first one I replaced was as you describe, however the most recent was a replacement from Orielly Auto Parts, which looked identical to the original.

I got this one at Napa. I have had good luck with their stuff, but I dunno about this one.

Back