Betty's "I want to be a mule" progress log thread | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Betty's "I want to be a mule" progress log thread

The new turd mobile. 2000 Mountaineer v8 awd.

The bad:

Was living it's prior life on a dusty road. Must tear out interior and deep clean.
Driver window off track "or something" and will not roll down. It tries but the rear part wants to stay up.

3 out of 4 door handles have issues. I have 4 new outer handles on order.
Cracked passenger side tail light housing. ( Ebay for some cool tail lights)

Compass-Thermometer thingy lit up and went out--idunno bout that yet

Door locks seem sticky, probably has to do with the handles.
It has a funky purple color trim with red metallic ( you'll have that every now and then) :(

The good
Gas tank was full
109k miles
I am the 2nd owner!!
Is from the local area, which means no salt!
The undercarriage is fairly clean
No dents to underside panels
Good rubber
Camber shims already installed
Looks like good service records, all recalls were completed.
Clean carfax believe it or not.

The "maybe" bad

The original owner, told the dealership it had a bad "heater core" however I have run it for several cycles, over an hour each idling in the driveay and see no leaks.
However, there was evidence of a windshield leak or the like,I saw condensation on the inside of the windows this AM. The moisture smell is that of water only-no anti freeze smell. I am thinking it could also be a cowl drain which is clogged???? but she did say the passenger carpet got wet.

I tried to get heat, however it is an auto climate control. Being 90 degrees outside, I doubt it would have given me heat.The heater core hoses were hot, and the coolant bypass valve does operate. AC blows Ice cold.

Maybe she meant to say "heater door"???

Anyway--here are the pics.

My intent is to drive this and use it as a tow rig for a light weight off road toy. Mods will be minimal. Edit: This plan did not work out so on to plan "b"

Current visual status

001-8_zps25438bd5.jpg

Progress pictures
025.jpg

026.jpg

027.jpg

028.jpg

031.jpg

032.jpg

044.jpg

043.jpg

042.jpg

038.jpg

Now, let's clean it up a little

Herculine'rd rocker panels. Rock sliders installed

005-4.jpg

004-3.jpg

BW 4406 True 4x4 Manual transfer case ( AKA Mouse entry point) installed 8-27-2012
Installed newer Tcase from a 2003 11-14-15

003-7.jpg

Saw a rainbow in Colorado so yeah, time for a picture
119.jpg

And here she is, on top of the highest pass road in North America. Careful tire placement a must!!!
041-1.jpg

2-2-2013

Changed "color scheme" of the Dick Cepek DC1 wheels. New Falken Wildpeak AT 31x1050x15

005_zps519396ed.jpg

Then I decided Maroon washer on the wheels would look better

006_zps9145ce92.jpg

003_zpse4691714.jpg

Update 6-6-2013

New bumpers, winch and Pro LED light . Front Bumper from RLC, Skid plate from RCI, rear bumper from Kert307

001-8_zps25438bd5.jpg

002_zps7dd4e30f.jpg

Rear anti sway disconnects

004_zps1b757042.jpg

Update 9-2-2014
A cracked radiator at 70mph led to engine failure. Replaced with a freshened up a bit 80k mile engine starting on page 23

001_zps0a3e1791.jpg

Found another rainbow in Kansas.

008_zpsarhv1lwt.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it's a good start Jon,

can't wait to see it in person,

Nice Jon, I like the red mounties. :)

"My intent is to drive this and use it as a tow rig for a light weight off road toy. Mods will be minimal"

famous last words :D

looks nice tho gonna have to drop by and see it soon

Good buy. Should clean up very nicely.

I guess you don't need me to look at at Cream Puff in Kirkland then, huh? :rolleyes:

Cool! :D

Those bumpers can be replaced with metal ones. (I happen to have a front now & rear available soon) ;)

The water might be the moonroof drain tubes.

Hire a school kid/midget/tiny chick, to replace those handles, smaller the hands the better. :D

Is it just the picture, or is the crease in the pass door/fender bent? :scratch:

Looks like it will be perfect for your intentions, I miss the auto climate and steering wheel controls I had in my eddie bauer.

Those bumpers can be replaced with metal ones. (I happen to have a front now & rear available soon) ;)

The rear bumper is already metal just has the backup sensors in it.

Oh, well the chrome metal type than. :D

Nice looking ride! Congrats:chug:

I guess you don't need me to look at at Cream Puff in Kirkland then, huh? :rolleyes:
Still looking for another for my lovely bride. However, that is a long distance to travel for vehicle. Thanks for the heads up though, it is exactly what she is looking for and we will get. An all white limited. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

The water might be the moonroof drain tubes.

Hire a school kid/midget/tiny chick, to replace those handles, smaller the hands the better. :D

Is it just the picture, or is the crease in the pass door/fender bent? :scratch:
No Moonroof in this one. Weird I know .
There are no creases I am aware of, must be the reflection. It is far from perfect of course, but no major dings.

Oh, well the chrome metal type than. :D

I think I am going to paint the front bumper, and the side trims with some gray tinted herculiner. I'll powdercoat the rear bumper and try to get a gray pad for it. I'll throw those smoked chrome mounty wheels on it and call it good.

I cleared the trip computer dealio, then let Sheri drive me around for a few miles. Average MPG is 18.5.
Wow

I removed a dirty K&N air filter, stuck a clean paper one back in. Threw some seafoam in the oil and gas tank, idled it for an hour then changed the oil and filter with some Quaker state. I will run this for a few days and change again with mobil 1 synthetic. I will change the spark plugs and Fuel filter tomorrow.

Still no coolant smell or leaks-the cat converters are not getting any drips either.
nor did it blow hot air. Me thinks blend door.

crap. It could be worse though. This thing drives great!!!

Mods will be minimal

..The voices in my head said to pass this little seed on to you Jon..:p:

...:scratch:..With just a little more power, you can make it to the trails a little quicker..:D

mufp_0802_sema_53_z+2007_SEMA_new_products+ford_racing_4_6L_aluminator_crate_engine.jpg

..You might as well get started on your "before and after" thread now..:popcorn:

Welcome back to the 2nd gen my friend. Looks like a cool project.

So how long until it has TM's :D

The person at Ford that came up with that color combo must have been color blind. I see several Mounties that color running around KC.

Cool project...

I am slightly partial to the Torreador Red Mouty's myself!

It's ALWAYS better to start with a DUSTY rig, than a RUSTY one....

Pressure washer, and a few vacuums......it will be good as new!

Ryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

..The voices in my head said to pass this little seed on to you Jon..:p:

...:scratch:..With just a little more power, you can make it to the trails a little quicker..:D

mufp_0802_sema_53_z+2007_SEMA_new_products+ford_racing_4_6L_aluminator_crate_engine.jpg

..You might as well get started on your "before and after" thread now..:popcorn:

Hrm.. With that much power in the new rig it could be called Puff Puff Pass...

~Mark

Back