Remote Start Facts (2011 - 2015 only) | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Remote Start Facts (2011 - 2015 only)

Mines a 2011. What it does is extend the range or make the range of the factory keyfob more reliable, it wont extend it by much, it has to be placed at the top of the windshield or under the headliner so the wire has to be extended. You remove the back of the center console off by pulling the top part back and it pivots away from the floor, youll see the tpms module at the bottom and just plug the wire in. The real issue is the keyfob, the built in antenna just doesn't have the range.
Don't know if you have to have remote start activated for the vehicle to use an external antenna since I already had mine activated when I tested it, the range wasn't increased by much but worked slightly better through walls and when it wasn't in direct line of sight. I was only testing it so I just had it dangling off one of the seats and not in the roof area for greatest range.

Remote Start System - RFR Antenna Kit DA8Z-15603-A

Attachments

• remote.jpg
    remote.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 218

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the shortest range is the built in keyfob, from there you can add an external antenna to the TPMS module at the back of the center console to extend it to maybe double, the problem is the antenna wire is too short so ford also has a longer wire so you can run the antenna higher up or add wire and extend the antenna to the top of the windshield or under the headliner. The other option is the long range antenna just for the remote start which you need to buy the alarm module for and the last option is the cell phone module which obviously you can use your phone to start(you also have to buy the alarm module to use it).

Anyways the factory key remote didn't give me enough range so I tried the add on TPMS antenna module, it really didn't increase the distance much at all, just made the signal a little more consistent, so I went with the alarm module (which you have to buy) and add on antenna with a separate remote that confirms if the vehicle has started.:)

There are two types of antennas, the basic one that attaches to the TPMS module which basically does nothing for range is about 6" long and 1" wide and do not need to buy the alarm module to work (think its been discontinued for the Explorer but its the same as the F150s). Main problem with this one is it doesn't increase the remotes range since the antenna is fixed. The other antenna is about a 2" square box with a 2" stub sticking out of it which is the long range antenna that attaches to the add on alarm module.. confusing isn't it :eek:

"Anyways the factory key remote didn't give me enough range "

I just gotta ask. How far are you using this??? In a high rise???

"Anyways the factory key remote didn't give me enough range "

I just gotta ask. How far are you using this??? In a high rise???

For the remote start, not for locking and unlocking. I'm still considering getting the cell phone "Remote Access" module for the alarm though, undecided. If you did want more range and to confirm if your vehicle is locked etc then the cell phone Remote Access module would be the best bet. Only slight catch is you need to pay a yearly subscription, similar to a cell phone service, the unit comes with a SIM card.

Not sure of its been pointed out before but the add on antenna for the alarm/start module only increases the range for the separate remote start fob, not anything else. The TPMS add on antenna may slightly increase the range for the all in one keyfob with the start and lock/unlock buttons and nothing else.

I dont know if this has been address before I havent read through the whole thread.

I just got my car back from the dealership, i had to have some body work done.

When i hit the lock button once the car auto starts: before taking it to the dealer i had to hit the button twice and hear it honk twice. When it did this it would also stay on for 10-15 minutes or until I hit the break upon entry to the vehicle.

Now the auto start only lasts approx. 15 seconds and its impossible to lock my car now without it starting back up. Any help is appreciated i have tried searching the internet and youtube to find any solutions and at this point really dont want to take it back to the dealer.

Thanks in advance!

I dont know if this has been address before I havent read through the whole thread.

I just got my car back from the dealership, i had to have some body work done.

When i hit the lock button once the car auto starts: before taking it to the dealer i had to hit the button twice and hear it honk twice. When it did this it would also stay on for 10-15 minutes or until I hit the brake upon entry to the vehicle.

Now the auto start only lasts approx. 15 seconds and its impossible to lock my car now without it starting back up. Any help is appreciated i have tried searching the internet and youtube to find any solutions and at this point really dont want to take it back to the dealer.

Thanks in advance!
If you have the OEN remote start the procedure is to press the LOCK button once and then the 2X button twice.
If it started the way you described then there was something wrong. The run time duration can be set to 5, 10 or 15 minutes without extending it.
Have you tried disconnecting the neg battery cable for 10 minutes or so and then reconnecting it? I don't know if a Master Reset would do it.
Note that disconnecting the battery will also result in the transmission having to go through a 'relearn' stage along with the idle and fuel trim settings.

Peter

I'm looking to get this done on my wifes 2014 XLT. I just ordered a OEM remanufactured key from ebay. Hopefully it's here in a few days. I'll get it cut at a Home Depot or a local locksmith. Then the fun part begins by trying to find a dealer who can/will activate the remote start. Anyone have success at any dealerships in the South Jersey / Philadelphia area? Otherwise my first attempt will be at Echelon Ford in Stratford, NJ.

I would just get it done at a dealership or an actual lockshop. It will be a little more to get the keys cut there but whenever i have had a set done at a hardware store the guy usually is 1/3 on success. My dealership was more than willing to program the car and cut the keys, but they couldn't figure out the key portion (in terms of cutting the keys they did a fantastic job). There is actually two programming portions, the key to the ignition and the remote to the car. I paid 125 for everything and the 'sorry we couldn't get it to work, but if you buy 250 dollars worth of keys we wont charge to program since its already set' then i went home and within two minutes i had both remotes set up and remote starting.

Be aware going in that the service rep will look down on you for going non-oem and he will swear up and down that its not going to work but i have the exact same car with the exact same aftermarket keys and they work perfectly fine. In fact you could probably program the remote portion to the car before getting the remote starter turned on in the car and the keys cut and transponder portion set up.

I bought this key. http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-FORD-80...ash=item1c6d47eabc:g:6UEAAOSwP~tW4F5w&vxp=mtr It's supposed to be OEM, just remanufactured. (They put a new blade on it.)

Yes, ideally the key will come on Friday and Saturday morning when I visit the service department I would bring my cut key with (programmed by me ahead of time). Then they will activate the remote start and I can test it while still at the dealership.

I'm looking to get this done on my wifes 2014 XLT. I just ordered a OEM remanufactured key from ebay. Hopefully it's here in a few days. I'll get it cut at a Home Depot or a local locksmith. Then the fun part begins by trying to find a dealer who can/will activate the remote start. Anyone have success at any dealerships in the South Jersey / Philadelphia area? Otherwise my first attempt will be at Echelon Ford in Stratford, NJ.

Most places will not cut the Key. Hope Ebay key is OEM. Pay the dealer one hours labor and have it cut and programmed.

The remanufactured Ford ebay key arrived on Monday. I got it cut last night (for free) at Home Depot. I programmed it in less than a minute. It works just like the original key at this point. Saturday I plan to go to the dealership and talk to them about activating the remote start feature. Fingers crossed!

The remanufactured Ford ebay key arrived on Monday. I got it cut last night (for free) at Home Depot. I programmed it in less than a minute. It works just like the original key at this point. Saturday I plan to go to the dealership and talk to them about activating the remote start feature. Fingers crossed!

Good luck. Use the word enable rather then activate. That's the option. Find the thread from Jason on remote start just to read it and get familiar with what the tech will have to do to get to the option. Speak in their language this way.

I bought a non oem 10$ basic key and 20$ key with the remote buttons from ebay and had them cut by a locksmith since they have more experience than a dealer would at cutting keys, cost 10$ a pair to cut. If you already have 2 keys you can program the 3rd one yourself. If you want remote start activated you have to have it hooked up to a specialized dealer style scan tool.

I bought this key. http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-FORD-80...ash=item1c6d47eabc:g:6UEAAOSwP~tW4F5w&vxp=mtr It's supposed to be OEM, just remanufactured. (They put a new blade on it.)

Yes, ideally the key will come on Friday and Saturday morning when I visit the service department I would bring my cut key with (programmed by me ahead of time). Then they will activate the remote start and I can test it while still at the dealership.

Did you inform Ebay of the misleading seller, they will take action.

The post was not misleading. It was labeled as remanufactured OEM key and that's what was sent.

Yes I did see under CONDITION its described as Remanufactured.

Not a big deal, I just thought this was misleading;

“GENUINE OEM REMOTE WITH NEW UNCUT BLADE!! TESTED!! WORKS GREAT!! THESE ARE NOT CHINA REPLICA REMOTES FOR LESS!! BUY OEM AND GET QUALITY!! PLEASE NOTE: IF YOU HAVE A "WINGED" IGNITION OR IGNITION GUARD THIS KEY WILL NOT WORK.”

FWIW in case anyone else chooses to buy from that seller. The seller is a locksmith. I assume he gets used Ford keys, flashes the programming back to stock so they can be programmed to a different car, and then swaps the metal blade.

The plastic housing on the key shows normal signs of wear but the key works, and that's what matters. I will confirm the remote start button works once I get it enabled at the dealership and will let you guys know if it prematurely fails.

all the fake ones Ive seen so far do not have the Ford symbol on the back, I have a "fake" one and decided to open it up completely piece by piece:D don't, you have to glue it back together, its built differently but feels and works just like the OEM so far, I've had it for a year.

all the fake ones Ive seen so far do not have the Ford symbol on the back, I have a "fake" one and decided to open it up completely piece by piece:D don't, you have to glue it back together, its built differently but feels and works just like the OEM so far, I've had it for a year.
Yeah, I did notice the key I got from ebay does look like it was glued back together. Question though, if the battery in there dies, don't you have to take it apart to change it?

No, just half of the cover needs to be removed and it is designed to snap into place like the OEM one . I took the circuit board out and was comparing them, umm don't ask. :D

Yeah, I did notice the key I got from ebay does look like it was glued back together. Question though, if the battery in there dies, don't you have to take it apart to change it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Remote start enabled and I'm good to go!

Little back story: Went to Echelon Ford (closest dealer to me) in Stratford, NJ. Explained to him what I wanted and he firmly doubted me. He brought up the module, I showed him the instructions and he was still skeptical. But they were very busy and couldn't schedule me today. So I left and went to another Ford dealer 15 mins from there... Winner Ford in Cherry Hill, NJ. I showed up to the service dept and told the guy what I wanted. He was familiar with the process. It cost me $50. Only down side it took them about an hour and a half to get it done. I think they were short staffed. But hey, I can't complain. I got a legit Ford key and legit Ford remote start all setup for less than $100!! Thank you to the OP!

Back