Naches area July '05

jrgaylor

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1985 BroncoII
I am wanting to get a run started for the naches trail area/system for the end of July or beginning of August, if you are familar with the trails and want to be a trail leader, Send me a PM.
I think it takes about 3 days to run most of the trails,with camping on the east side of the mountains.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Subscribed.

Hoping there will be 'stocker' trails available, if not, I'll just stand in the nearest stream waving a fly rod. :D

Albino 94LTD said:
Subscribed.

Hoping there will be 'stocker' trails available, if not, I'll just stand in the nearest stream waving a fly rod. :D

And I am the guy aways upstream from him.

A few easier trails.
A ride with someone over a scary trail.
and a bit of camping.
Sounds fun

Seeing that Randy's ring and pinion wants 2100 for 4.56's and a e-locker I may be the most gutless rig out, but I'll have fun on the puppy hill!!!!!

Im down Im down

I hope your not that guy in the white limited that cut me off yesterday!!
You realize that is the whole reason I am getting steel bumpers built is to plow in to those who like to think they drive agressiveley??

Sorry just giving you crap about your signature urbanite.

4 so far plus hopefully snow and diff-wack daddy, Where's brian I need to see a lot of inspiration!!! All you big rigs need to sign up.

I may bring a buddy in a late 80"s 4-runner (stockish) if no one minds.

I wanna go, and will know of lots of people who will also want to go :thumbsup:

I should be able to work that into my schedule. Never been over that way.

Albino 94LTD said:
Subscribed.

Me too!

We did the Naches about two years ago. Some of the hardest wheeling we've ever done! :eek: I'm not the familier with the area so I wouldn't know if there were stocker trails or not. Deff rated at 4+. The last time I did the trail I didn't have fiberglass fenders but I'll still pencil it in on my calander. Summer always seem to be my busiest time of year but we'd love to go.

Shoot, Im still stock :D

I suppose I could buy a set of something muddable, but stock is stock. Im still ready for it :D

I've done a little Google searching this morning and it appears there should be trails for all of us, we just need to plan well. We stockers might have to drive over I-90 and come in from the East side, then meet up with the modified guys at a predesignated camp site.

Some of the info I have seen, dated 2004, indicate the trails might be upgraded to the point that stock well maintained vehicles might actually make it through the Naches.

"Naches Area
July 11, 2004
Hi, just wanted to let you know that in the Little Naches basin, trails 963 (Bear Creek) and 963A (Cub Creek) will be closed from July 15th 2004 until next year for reconstruction. The work is being done by the Naches Ranger District trail maintenance crew and volunteer help.

Call (509) 653-1438 to volunteer your time or for more information.
Submitted by:
Mitch Comstock"

This is from a J**p jamboree report July 2004

http://www.pnw4wda.org/photos/trail_jamboree_04/

"The Naches area offers trails for all types of vehicles and driving abilities.

The trip to Clemans Mountain and the 4x4 101 course led by event sponsor ARB were popular choices for less experienced drivers, stock rigs or those who just wanted a relaxing or scenic day. :D

Moving up on the difficulty scale, participants chose among several trips: Clover Springs/Mud Springs, Bald Mountain/Manastash Ridge, the Divide Ridge and the historic Naches Trail. :)

Even higher on the difficulty scale, trail runs were offered to: Funny Rocks/Moon Rocks, Shoestring/Upper Kaner–Westbound, Kaner/Quartz–Eastbound and Rocky Saddle. For those really looking for a challenge, the Rimrock area." :eek:

So, we have time to plan well. :D

yes this will take some planning, When I went on the historic naches tral last summer it took 6 hours of almost non stop driving, a stock rig with traction tires should be able to do that trail with some spotting in places,because it gets tight in a few places.
It looks like it would be nice to camp in the cliffdell area, cliffdell has gas and little store with a place to air up tires that is very fast.

I have been scouring the internet looking for detailed information on the area to no avail. I have found several trip reports of varying perspective but no good details.

You see I fear dents and scrapes, so I want an easy way in to the campsite.
From there I hope to be able to do a few trails on the tame side and basicly camp and watch y'all play :D

If all else fails and the only easy trail is the way in to a campspot, then it gets nasty. I'll bring my pack and camera. That way I can follow along and get all those shots you wished you could have got, but were driving.

I suppose what I am getting at is that I would really like is a good map of the area with a rating system for trail difficulty, also designating camping areas. Any good links to find this here map I am seeing in my minds eye?

the area I am thinking of to camp at is off of Hwy 410 near cliffdell and the little naches Rd/ FR 70 .

dreamr said:
I suppose what I am getting at is that I would really like is a good map of the area with a rating system for trail difficulty, also designating camping areas. Any good links to find this here map I am seeing in my minds eye?

I don't have a map yet (other than on my computer) but here is a list of trails and ratings taken from the PNW4WDA 2005 jamboree site.

Trail Descriptions
Trail descriptions are general and are designed to assist you in making decisions on trail selections. The ratings are comparative; a rating of 10 is negotiable by vehicles with significant difficulty and high probability damage, even to vehicles that have much aftermarket equipment such as suspension lifts, limited slip differentials and aggressive off road tires. On trails rated 8 or 9 a fully stock vehicle may require significant assistance (winching, towing, etc.) and may be damaged. The ratings assume the driver has some off-road driving experience. Drivers will accept the assistance of other drivers and will drive under control and at speeds that will keep tires in contact with the trail. Ratings assume weather conditions have been normal and that the trails have dried, but have not yet become extremely dusty. Should it rain, the trails become more difficult. A vehicle width restriction is necessary and is enforced.

CLEMAN MOUNTAIN (Rated 1) An easy run suitable for all vehicles and drivers. Emphasis is on introduction of newcomers to recreational four wheel driving and scenery. This “trip†will take a different route each day it is scheduled, so if you are looking for a relaxing day, with lots of photo opportunities and just enough four wheeling to make it a little interesting, join this group. There will be a progressive increase in difficulty, with the first day being the easiest. There may even be some impromptu changes in the routing depending upon the persons that are interested in going.

BALD MOUNTAIN/MANASTASH RIDGE (Rated 2-4 for short wheelbase vehicles; 4-5 for SUVs, 5-6 for full size vehicles). Easy to moderately difficult, depending upon vehicle type and actual route selected (options along the way). This route is suitable for full sized vehicles, but the difficulty is more pronounced. Trail is smooth in places, very rutted and bumpy in other places and rocky in other segments, as well as tight in lodge pole pine forest, contrasted with segments in open meadows. Scenic views of the Stewart Range, Cascade Crest, Mt. Rainier, Mt. Adams and agricultural valleys to the south. Driving time is about six hours. There are several options in this area, depending upon the make of the group (vehicle type and driving skill), and depending upon the amount of available time.

DIVIDE (Rated 4-5; width restriction-74 inches) This trail is a popular family trail that is moderately difficult, but interesting. This is the only trip that offers a view of the general country over which many of the trails are located. It illustrates the contrasts between forests and meadows, and offers views of Manastash Ridge. Return is via the same route or logging road, depending on conditions. Due to the length of the trip, expect a long day.

HISTORIC NACHES PASS (Rated 5 for short wheelbase vehicles and 7 for downsized SUVs/trucks; width restriction-74 inches.) This trail actually follows most of the route taken by the Ezra Meeker Wagon Train (commonly called the Longmire Wagon Train) over the Cascade Mountains in 1853. Trail conditions are varied ranging from dry to wet soil to some loose rock. Some steep grades, but generally the trail is level. There can be significant amounts of water, depending upon the weather, so some sections are bridged to reduce rutting. A segment on the west end straddles a “knife†ridge, with commanding views, including Mt. Rainier and surrounding territory. Some of the trail is in clear-cut areas and some of it is old timber. If weather is wet, this trail can get “interesting.†Trip subject to change by USFS.

CLOVER SPRINGS/MUD SPRINGS (Rated 5 for short wheelbase vehicles, 7 for downsized SUVs/trucks; 8 for full size SUVs with some trail rerouting.) Travel via USFS road to Clover Springs, approximately 20 miles. Stop along the way at Little Bald Mountain and view the Flatiron Lake-Old Scab Mountain basin. Travel along the ridge trail to Mud Springs. Return over USFS logging roads. Trail is very scenic and fairly smooth. Driving time is approximately four to five hours, round trip. Most of the four wheel drive trail follows the William O. Douglas Wilderness boundary, offering commanding views into the wilderness and of the Cascade Crest in the distance. Forest scenes are varied, ranging from lowland forest types to high elevation, sub-alpine types. May be very dusty if weather has been unusually dry.

FUNNY ROCKS/MOON ROCKS (Rated 6-10 depending on vehicle and route chosen.) Funny Rocks is a large formation of smooth sandstone, not found anywhere else in the area. Nearby Moon Rocks looks like an asteroid plopped down in the middle of the forest a left a great place to play! This trip offers rock-crawling challenges for all vehicles, and includes off-camber sections and vertical lips. Difficulty level varies with routes chosen. THIS TRIP IS OFFERED ON THURSDAY AND FRIDAY ONLY.

SHOESTRING/UPPER KANER-WESTBOUND (Rated 8-9; width restriction-74 inches.) This trip offers virtually everything in driving characteristics, from rocks, mud, side hill, tightness to challenging hill climbs. There are also several small creek crossings. Very scenic, extremely popular, but challenging. Definitely not recommended for Cherokee-sized vehicles, or for any vehicle with stock-sized or non-aggressive tires. CJ’s with oversized tires can negotiate the trail in this direction, even with open, non-locking differentials. Driving time is generally at least eight hours round trip.

KANER/QUARTZ-EASTBOUND (Rated 9-10; width restriction-74 inches.) The rating is due largely to one long uphill on the Upper Kaner that is very difficult to negotiate with a stock vehicle, even with oversized tires and suspension lift. Winching assistance may be required. Most vehicles with OEM highway all season tires will require extensive winching and may be damaged. Quartz is a ridge top trail with commanding views of the Cascade Crest and the Stewart Range. Mount Rainier is the centerpiece.

ROCKY SADDLE (Rated 10; width restriction-74 inches.) This trail is for short wheel base vehicles with lockers front and rear, full roll cage, aggressive tires, CB and winch. For experienced drivers only! There is a high risk of vehicle and equipment damage. The trail host leader will determine final eligibility. Plan for a long day!

RIMROCK (Rated 10+; width restriction-74 inches.) These trails in the Rimrock Lake area are very difficult and are recommended for the experienced driver only. While the trails are challenging, (tight, side hills, hill climbs, etc.) the scenery is breathtaking and well worth the effort. Requirements: Jeep-type vehicles with maximum wheelbase of 94 inches, maximum 74 inch track width, street legal, full roll cage, aggressive tires, front & rear lockers, CB and winch. Due to the distance of the trailhead, approx. 40 miles, all vehicles must be able to do highway speed. NO EXCEPTIONS! Expect a long day.

ARB's 4-Wheel Drive 101 (Rated 1, trail to be announced) Come join Chris Wood of ARB for a comprehensive look at basic backcountry travel by 4-wheel drive. This full day, hands-on outing will cover vehicle preparation, trip preparation, driving technique, vehicle recovery, and the other essentials of safe off-highway driving. The trail selection will be particularly well suited to stock sport-utility vehicles and novice drivers, but vehicles of all modification levels and drivers of all skill levels are welcome. Chris brings over 20 years of 4-wheel drive experience to this class and will share the insights he has gained from 4-wheel drive exploration all over North America. So bring your vehicle, your questions and your spirit of adventure... and ladies, remember that off-roading isn't just for men.

The 2005 jamboree is set for July 7-10.

http://www.pnw4wda.org/trailjam/trail_descriptions.htm

Maybe we should think about signing up a bunch of X's??? since we aren't near as orginized and there are PRIZES to be had??

Otherwise, we can use their research and do our own little meet&greet.

Thoughts?

Well, I found where to access the ma[p that I so desire. The ranger station.
Anyway, Here's a link that may be helpful or not.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/wenatchee/cle-elum-orv/index.html

On a second note, what type of setting where we looking to camp in? I am used to camping in isolated spots, but I don't think that all these rigs will fit in most areas of similar nature.

There are several developed campgrounds in the area. It appears that a few even cater to the ORV community. Check the link for details.

I am thinking the trail jam would be a good idea, because then there would be guides that know the area and trails ;) less risk on taking damage.

Last year registration was limited to 50 vehicles.

February 14th at noon

There is a lot of info on that site, including pictures. Funny Rocks and Moon Rocks look a lot like the pix of Moab I have seen.

Registration starts Feb 14th at noon

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm sure they have a limit for each outing. Based on the pictures, it looks like maybe 10 rigs per group.

As for camping, I'll bet you could camp anywhere as long as you were present at departure time for your chosen trail run.

There is only one way that I know of to gain knowledge of the trail system and you seem to do a lot of it solo. Don't get me wrong, I'm not picking on you, I wouldn't do what you do, alone. I'm too afraid of getting in over my head.

Perhaps a few of us should do the TrainJam and get educated so we can giude an 'Explorer only' outing? but I don't want to be the only X!

There seems to be a lot of varied opportunity for all types of wheeling in that area. that would be a wonderful place for an annual NWX gathering.

Back