Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Explorer Audio & Navigation

Notices

Explorer Audio & Navigation Audio and navigation systems. CD, DVD, MP3, GPS, Video, Mobile Computer, Speakers, Amplifiers.

1999 Eddie Bauer Subwoofer busted

Old 06-22-2005, 10:43 PM   #1
AggieFord
College Station, Texas
99 Eddie Bauer 4X4

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
US 1999 Eddie Bauer Subwoofer busted

I have a 1999 Eddie Bauer with the cassete + cd HU and 6 CD changer in the console. I believe it is the Mach Audio system or someone has referred to it as an Audiophile system, but I believe Audiophile may be for newer vehicles. At any rate, the subwoofer is blown and Ford (in their infinite wisdom) chooses to sell the sub, enclosure, and amp all as one at a ridiculous price. Can I get some suggestions for a direct replacement speaker from someone? I am looking for simple but effective. I have previously replaced just the speaker in my 1996 XLT w/JBL and for that system, Ford sells the speaker separately. If someone has the Ford part number I would need, that would be great! I want to retain the factory grille and look so I need something that will mount to the box (enclosure). Would anyone know if the 1996 sub for the JBL system is the same speaker (or if the connections could be spliced) as the one in my '99??

If someone has removed a sub from their late model X that is in GOOD condition or better, I may be interested in that as well.

Thanks for the help!
AggieFord is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 06-22-2005, 10:54 PM   #2
TTG
Florida Gulf Coast University, Fort Myers, Florida
'95 Sport

Vehicle Specs

Audiophile systems are made by 3 companies. First was Pioneer way long ago, then JBL not so way long ago, and now Mach Audio.

But now's a good chance to get rid of that tiny little 6" subwoofer and step up to cramming a subwoofer that's almost too large to fit into that space there. I've heard of people fitting 12"ers in there, thats double the size of yours. Come on, you know you want to... It'll probably be similar in price as replacing the OEM one too...

Old 06-22-2005, 11:19 PM   #3
DDEBEXP
Elite Explorer
Duncanville, TX
01 4x4 Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

i had the 8" in mine, and replaced it with a jl audio 8w3. The only problem is that the stock amp will not run it very good. Then i used an RF amp and it sounded decent, in the stock enclosure. Then i decided to just upgrade the whole thing. Bottom line is, you can use a jl audio as a direct replacement, I think an 8w0 will fit with no spacer, but i used the 8w3 and just flipped the rubber around the screw holes to make the sub fit. But if you do, consider a better amp, that is if you even have the 8".
DDEBEXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 02:58 AM   #4
XLoudFN97X

Vehicle Specs

go with the JL 10" stealth enclosure (replaces the stock fart-box) and a JL 250/1 amp you'll be happy with the sound then and you'll still be able to fit the 4 dead hookers in the cargo bay! just food for thought, i suppose...
~stu
XLoudFN97X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 07:03 PM   #5
TTG
Florida Gulf Coast University, Fort Myers, Florida
'95 Sport

Vehicle Specs

You guys only get 4? I can cram at least 8 in the back of my Sport. Granted it gets a little hard to see out the back window with all the glitter, cheap makeup, and blood all over it, but sometimes you just have to endire enough to get to a proper disposal site. Stuff's a pain to get off the windows though.

Just kidding. I'm not really a mass hooker killer.

In any case, the JL stuff is like 800 bucks, I'd recommend an MTX or Q logic. Theyre much cheaper.

Old 08-16-2010, 04:51 PM   #6
Legendjao

Vehicle Specs

how remove the rear speaker at 1999 eddie bauer explorer
Legendjao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:00 PM   #7
scucci
98 Sport

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendjao View Post
how remove the rear speaker at 1999 eddie bauer explorer
http://oem-auto-accessory.com/explorer.html
scucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:02 PM   #8
skid marks
NE Pennsylvania
'98 Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

I just replaced the sub and the two rear door speakers. Will be replacing two fronts with the same speakers next month. All these speakers are exact replacements Bought at Crutchfield.

Door speakers... Great Sound with Stock Head Unit
1086832CF Infinity Reference 6832cf 6"x8" 2-way Speakers

Sub... Also great with stock AMP (could use a little more power but still better than stock)
113XW800F Kenwood KFC-XW800F 8" 4-ohm Component Subwoofer

http://s952.photobucket.com/albums/a...er%20Speakers/

Last edited by skid marks; 08-18-2010 at 02:04 PM. Reason: IMG Link not shown
skid marks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:35 PM   #9
Gtbjr
Washington, DC
1998 Mercury Mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

I can sell you my sock amp and sub that I just took out of my mach audio system. Let me know if you want it. You can also replace everything if you'd like, but it is a lot of work. To replace with good stuff, it will likely run you about $300 if you do it yourself.
Gtbjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:04 PM   #10
DonAlexander
Reno
'01 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Resurrecting an older thread, but how difficult was it to use the Kenwood KFC-XW800F with the stock enclosure? Did it require any wiring changes.......... Thanks.
DonAlexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 03:27 PM   #11
hotkarl2011
ford explorer 98

Vehicle Specs

i have a 98 eddie bauer and i want to take the sub off (the 8" sub in the back) but it wont come off does anyone have a video that shows you how??
hotkarl2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:18 AM   #12
jrford
Birmingham, MI
'10 Sport Trac

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl2011 View Post
i have a 98 eddie bauer and i want to take the sub off (the 8" sub in the back) but it wont come off does anyone have a video that shows you how??
no video per say that i've seen, but there is a bolt on the backside of the enclosure the mounts to the magnet, that you have to remove to pull the speaker, pretty sure the 2nd gen the whole enclosure has to come out.

2004 EB Quad Buckets V8 AWD, 105k
jrford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 12:09 AM   #13
tommyarmour
Oregon
1999 Mercury Mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonAlexander View Post
Resurrecting an older thread, but how difficult was it to use the Kenwood KFC-XW800F with the stock enclosure? Did it require any wiring changes.......... Thanks.
Did you ever figure this out?
tommyarmour is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page