Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2016 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1995 - 2001 Explorer Ranger Mountaineer - Sport thru '03 - 2nd Generation > Modified 1995-2001 Explorers

Notices

Modified 1995-2001 Explorers Questions related to modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and 2002+ Sports (2dr). Aftermarket accessories and modifications. Bullbar, running boards, floor mats, cargo mat, DVD headrest, wheels, tires, stereo upgrade, headlights, mud flaps, torsion twist, lift kits, engine swap, transmission swap.

brown wire mod

Old 10-14-2005, 02:12 PM   #1
TrevorSmith
Burlington, Ontario
1998 Explorer Sport

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
brown wire mod

I know it has been discussed numerous times and I have read all the threads on it but some things are still unclear to me. First of all where is the BEST place to hook in the switch. Underneath the seat or behind the radio? And second where do you hook up the ground wire from the switch?
TrevorSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 10-14-2005, 03:41 PM   #2
Lee S.
Elite Explorer
Northport, NY

'98 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Hi and welcome... I understand the clarity issue . The BW mod has taken on a life of its own over time.

I would say anyhere from the left side of the radio (after the splice as GIJoecam mentions here:http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...14#post1189714) to the transfer case will work since it's a straight run between these 2 points. This would include under the seat. Just don't hook it up to the right side of the radio (before gIjoe's 'splice') as many (myself included) have done in the past.

Any place you can ground the switch to the chassis will suffice.

Old 10-14-2005, 05:56 PM   #3
TrevorSmith
Burlington, Ontario
1998 Explorer Sport

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
so just cut the brown wire under the seat put in a switch and ground it to the bare floor somewhere and i dont have to worry about putting it in between all of these splices
Old 10-14-2005, 07:49 PM   #4
Lee S.
Elite Explorer
Northport, NY

'98 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Yep.

In this thread on page 2 there is a pic of the brown wire under the seat if that's where you decide to cut it: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=143353

Ground the switch to a bolt or screw that attaches to the chassis.

Old 10-14-2005, 08:34 PM   #5
MONMIX
I fix dents
Millersville , Maryland

2000 Explorer Sport

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
I inserted my switch. Meaning, cut the brown wire, spliced in a few lengths and put the switch in my center console. and then back again.

Live your life for a change
My Explorer
MONMIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 12:48 AM   #6
TrevorSmith
Burlington, Ontario
1998 Explorer Sport

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
thats a good idea, i was trying to think of a clean place to mount the switch
Old 07-14-2008, 10:47 PM   #7
4x4firefighter
Oneonta, NY
99 Eddie Limited

Vehicle Specs

ok so i must have missed something. if i were to do this i have to have a switch someplace that does what? one direction it can do awd and the other 2wd? again the clarity thing.....

http://www.myspace.com/axn6254_4x4firefighter
4x4firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:52 PM   #8
4x4firefighter
Oneonta, NY
99 Eddie Limited

Vehicle Specs

ummm another ?....what is the success rate of this procedure? anyone have major malfunctions or machanical problems?

Old 07-14-2008, 11:18 PM   #9
trj360
1999 XLT SOHC

Vehicle Specs

All the brown wire does is cuts the power to your transfer case. With the switch off, you have 2wd only. When you turn it on, you can then use your electronic switches on the dashboard to engage 4x4. The mod is mainly for people who have auto4x4 and don't want that for whatever reason. AWD is not electrical though, I believe it's mechanical. The brown wire probably isn't even present on an AWD explorer.
trj360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 11:39 PM   #10
4x4firefighter
Oneonta, NY
99 Eddie Limited

Vehicle Specs

ok so it kills that ####ing auto4wd shit..... is it save to "kill" power to transfer case? i live on a hill in a snowy area so the switch would get used couple times a day.... also would i want to turn it to auto or would i be able 2 keep it in 4hi and "kill" the case?.....

Old 07-15-2008, 01:13 AM   #11
IZwack
Moderator Emeritus
Germantown, MD

1998 Ford Explorer

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4firefighter View Post
ummm another ?....what is the success rate of this procedure? anyone have major malfunctions or machanical problems?
The downside to this is when people use it to do too many burnouts -- the difference in the speed between the two driveshafts increases the oil's temperature and eventually kills the internals. There have been a few threads about this happening to people.

Success rate is pretty much 100% -- i mean the only way it could fail is if you cut the wrong wire . Or you cut the wrong wire, flip the switch, and out comes a banaphone from the glovebox -- actually that wouldn't be a failure, that'd be a 200% success rate, forget 2HI/4HI, i'd rather have a banaphone .

Old 07-15-2008, 06:43 AM   #12
XLT Lou
Imperial,Mo.
1998 XLT

Vehicle Specs

I did the BW Mod this past weekend while I had the dash open to replace some dash bulbs, Works great, No more annoying studder.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:26 PM   #13
MONMIX
I fix dents
Millersville , Maryland

2000 Explorer Sport

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
just to reinerate
BWM ONLY if you have auto 4WD.

If you have 2wd then the BWM is pretty much useless. ( and rather silly)

If you have AWD then you cant do it.

Live your life for a change
My Explorer
MONMIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:49 AM   #14
trj360
1999 XLT SOHC

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4firefighter View Post
ok so it kills that ####ing auto4wd shit..... is it save to "kill" power to transfer case? i live on a hill in a snowy area so the switch would get used couple times a day.... also would i want to turn it to auto or would i be able 2 keep it in 4hi and "kill" the case?.....
No. Cutting the power cuts off the power to the front drive shaft.

Quote:
When you select 4 high from the switch on the dash, the GEM sends the signal to the Transfer Case Shift Relay to engage 4 high. This sends power directly to the Transfer Case Clutch Coil, essentially a 100% duty cycle.

If you select 4 low, the transfer case remains locked, but engages a set of planetary gears to obtain the low range gear reduction. The front and rear driveshafts are still linked solely by the Transfer Case Clutch. By interrupting the power flow to the TCCC when in 4 low, the transfer case disengages the front driveshaft, even though the planetary reduction gears are engaged. This results in a true 2wd low range
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...brown+wire+mod
trj360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:55 AM   #15
fordguy2360
truro ns
2000 explorer

Vehicle Specs

worked perfect thank you very much love being able to put my 2000 explorer in 2wd
fordguy2360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:01 PM   #16
Tesserra
NOR CAL
1998 EXplorer 5.0

Vehicle Specs

So newbee question here.
What is the difference beteween Auto 4WD and AWD.
Is there a hi low switch for Auto 4WD?
Tesserra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 08:08 PM   #17
albi1cnobi1
Elite Mountaineer
South Jersey

99 Mountaineer V6 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
The V6 Ex's have the BW4405 t-case which has A4wd-4hi-4lo. Auto4wd is basically 2wd until the speed sensors on the transfer case sense a difference in speed between the front and rear drive shafts(such as the rear wheels starting to spin in snow etc.) then the clutch in the case engages and sends varying amounts of power to the front wheels until the speed of both shafts are the same. The V8 Ex's have the BW4404 t-case which is AWD, no ranges to switch. Power and torque to front and rear drive shafts all of the time. V6 equipped trucks have the range selector switch to the left of the radio on the radio trim, and the V8's have no switch.

TT/Warrior Shackles/Add-a-leaf, 2" BL, 32x11.5/15 BFG A/T's, Rancho 5000's, Supplemental HHO Generator(out for cell redesign), Electric Fan Conversion, AVM Manual Lockout Hubs, Dual Battery System, Gibson cat back. EATC Mod. BW1354 swap. My 4405 To 1354 Swap Thread Support your own economy, Buy American, all of our jobs depend on it.

Last edited by albi1cnobi1; 08-21-2011 at 08:17 PM. Reason: more info
albi1cnobi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:26 AM   #18
Tesserra
NOR CAL
1998 EXplorer 5.0

Vehicle Specs

So, sounds like the V6 has a better set up for off road.
Tesserra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:52 AM   #19
albi1cnobi1
Elite Mountaineer
South Jersey

99 Mountaineer V6 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
In it's stock form, yes. A lot of people with the V8's have swapped in a 4406 t-case from the F-150's to get the same setup as the V6 Ex's. And you can tweak the V6 setup as well. Check out my swap thread in my signature.

TT/Warrior Shackles/Add-a-leaf, 2" BL, 32x11.5/15 BFG A/T's, Rancho 5000's, Supplemental HHO Generator(out for cell redesign), Electric Fan Conversion, AVM Manual Lockout Hubs, Dual Battery System, Gibson cat back. EATC Mod. BW1354 swap. My 4405 To 1354 Swap Thread Support your own economy, Buy American, all of our jobs depend on it.
albi1cnobi1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page