Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1995 - 2001 Explorer Ranger Mountaineer - Sport thru '03 - 2nd Generation > Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and '02+ Sports and Sport Trac. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

Check Engine - P0340

Old 11-30-2005, 02:50 PM   #1
bigA
Valrico, FL
2005 Limited

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Check Engine - P0340

Just replaced my camshaft position sensor and the synchronizer because it was squealing pretty bad. Got everything lined up properly (I think) and put it back together. Truck runs fine and no more squeal. But now the second or third time I run it, the check engine light comes on. Pulled the codes and comes up with a P0340. Also came up with a P0100 or P1000, but that seems to be a false reading. Any idea why it only shows up on the 2nd or 3rd start? Does the code get thrown if the sensor isn't lined up properly? I think the sensor must be working because I don't think the truck would even run if it wasn't.
bigA is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 12-01-2005, 11:11 AM   #2
Runnin'OnEmpty
Southeast USA
2000 Sport

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Dk Exp

BigA, the P1000 is "OBD II monitor testing not complete", so you can ignore it for now.

The P0340 is "Camshaft position sensor circuit malfunction". Since it starts and runs OK, I'd unplug and re-plug the sensor, maybe spray it with WE-40, and see if that has any effect. It sounds like the sensor has an intermittant power or ground circuit......?

The OBD II system will set a code if it detects a fault on two consectuive occasions. That's why it takes two (or three) starts to light the MIL.

ROE

2000 Sport 4x2, 4.0 ohv, 5R55E w/Superior shift kit, 3.55 diff, Mazda truck alloys/BFG TAs, RoadMaster Active Suspension, EE anti-sway bar, F&R poly bushings, camber kit, Rancho shocks, Hooker Aero Chamber muffler, Medium Wedgewood Blue.....

Bought another 2000 Sport (God help me), 4.0 ohv auto, 60K actual miles, Cragar SS alloys/BFG TAs, AAL, EE anti-sway bar, Gibson cat-back, Harvest Gold, GT leather interior.
Runnin'OnEmpty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 12:34 PM   #3
MEXEXP
Mexicali, Mexico
2000 Explorer Limited

Vehicle Specs

Had the same

Well almost two months ago, we had the same problem on my father in laws explorer 99 V8, we change the sensor, we changed the distributor or shaft that goes on the cam, had everything lined up, and it threw the code again.

Well we found a friend of a friend who works in a Dealer in El centro, Ca. and the final problem was diagnosed on being a bad alternator, something inside was shorted and it generated negative pulses that were screwing the pulses generated by the cam sensor. we changed it and it runs perfectly.

Hope this helps, it sounds strange but it fixed his explorer.

Old 12-01-2005, 01:03 PM   #4
Turdle
Moderator Masterbaker
Humboldt, Kansas

2000 Mounty

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
^^^^Yes I agree, I get that code if My battery is low ^^^^^
However, from experience I can tell you this, the cmp sensor adjustment is critical. You must use a synch alingment tool specific to that year truck. Everything will seem great and all the sudden you have a piston with a hole in the top.( burned)
It was a real pita for me because I ordered the tool 3 times and they and got it wrong each time.
The cmp sensor syncronizes the fuel injectors, and is real critical in 97 and later v-8
I finally was able to locate a ford performance enthusiast-auto tech garage, he loaned the tool to me.
Turdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 09:02 AM   #5
Macgiobuin
Virginia
'96 Sport 5sp

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I had the same problem with my '00 Merc mountaineer. P0340 kept coming up, even after replacing the cam sensor, wiring to the PCM, 2dry ign cables, sp plugs, head gaskets, swapped coils, geez... still came up every time I cleared it- it would run for the first trip, with no CEL turned on, then as soon as I started it, CEL is on and it is the P0340, again. Finally, I read on another forum that the problem may be the alternator. I just put a new one in about a month before the problems all started. How to diagnose: Charge up the battery. Clear out the codes. Run it until the P0340 shows. Bring it back home. Clear out the codes. Disconnect the alternator. Yes disconnect the alternator. Isolate the battery terminal at the alternator from any short circuits by wrapping it in elec tape. Take the car on the same trip. If the code does not set on, you found the problem. The voltage regulator is transmitting stray AC voltage that is being picked up by the cam sensor or the PCM and throwing the whole system off. Do the test in daylight with no loads on--no radio, no headlights, no blower. I didn't believe it was possible, but now I am a believer. -Mac
Macgiobuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:50 PM   #6
SoNic67
Newport News, VA
2001 V8 (Eddie Bauer) AWD

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Thanks guys for your input!
2001, V8 5.0L engine. I had a backfire, shaking engine at over 55mph and the same P0340 code. Instead of changing the sensor (as per code), I checked the alternator voltage - 13.1V running at any RPM.
Replaced the alternator with a "Worldwide Alternator" one (since that 13V voltage is not correct). Now I have 14.5V at idle and CEL turned off by itself!

Looks like the CMP sensor is VERY sensitive to "clean" and proper voltage!
SoNic67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 08:18 PM   #7
mbruffey
Elite Explorer
MN, MN
1997 5.0 AWD Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
that 13V voltage is not correct
What is correct Alt output, and where is that spec'd? Thx, LMB
mbruffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 07:30 PM   #8
SoNic67
Newport News, VA

Vehicle Specs

Alternator voltage at idle rpm, lights on, AC on, should be 14.4-14.5V.
Less is not "just" less volts, it is actually negative voltage pulses superimposed over the DC one. And the sensor is sensitive to that pulses.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:35 PM   #9
Sabe
Mechanicsville, MD
'98 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Point well made about the "14.4 volts". For those of us who use an the old-time analog volt meter with the swing needle, we'll call it "14 and a half" volts. Anything less than that - there's a problem - usually with the regulator. Remember to zero-out (calibrate) the meter before you touch the terminals.
Sabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:24 AM   #10
matt0248
Chicago
02 XLT V8

Vehicle Specs

Most alternators will not output 14.5 volts at idle with all loads on. Also, the charge level reduces at battery temp rises. Most newer vehicles take this into account. YOu should see around 13.5 volts at idle with an engine at operating temp. Also, If all the loads are turned on, the voltage will drop at idle. But it shound not drop below about 13V. it should eventually find a stable voltage and hold there.
matt0248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:06 PM   #11
mbruffey
Elite Explorer
MN, MN
1997 5.0 AWD Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

I show around 13 millivolts AC at the battery. Fluctuates by maybe 0.2 mV. Would that be enough to cause a misfire that cannot be traced to any single cylinder? I can hardly believe it would, but why not ask? Anyone else actually tested for AC mV, for sake of comparison? 1997 Explorer 5.0. Thx, Mark
mbruffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:39 PM   #12
matt0248
Chicago
02 XLT V8

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbruffey View Post
I show around 13 millivolts AC at the battery. Fluctuates by maybe 0.2 mV. Would that be enough to cause a misfire that cannot be traced to any single cylinder? I can hardly believe it would, but why not ask? Anyone else actually tested for AC mV, for sake of comparison? 1997 Explorer 5.0. Thx, Mark
13 mV AC is very small and should not cause a problem.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:56 PM   #13
SoNic67
Newport News, VA

Vehicle Specs

My voltage was 13.1V and the CEL was on with this code. I have replaced the alternator with a OEM one and now I have 14.4-14.5V at ANY rpm (including idle). And CEL cleared itself... Code was P0340.
Measuring AC with a meter would not show the whole "story" - let's say it is not calibrated for spikes.

Last edited by SoNic67; 05-21-2011 at 01:42 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:19 PM   #14
hotstang111
ortonville, Mi
'98 xlt 4 dr manual

Vehicle Specs

i actually reset mine a couple hours ago, if you dont get the correct syncronizer alignment tool it will set the code, the tool for the 5.0 and the 4.0 look very similar so ford tech have actually been messing them up to, the ford part number is t95t-12200-a and the global is 303-529, cylinder 1 must be at tdc, slide it in bolt it down and pull the tool off, good luck getting the tool, hard to find i had to borrow one from an asset program
hotstang111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 08:17 PM   #15
SoNic67
Newport News, VA

Vehicle Specs

I did position my syncronizer "by eye"... Tool just makes it easyer to align the center of the hole with the "flag". Dorman tool alignes the middle of the flag with middle of window, but on my V8, the original arrangement was like below (edge of flag aligned with middle of window) and this is how I did reposition the new one:

Last edited by SoNic67; 06-08-2011 at 06:19 AM.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:49 PM   #16
raygulley
saginaw michigan
97 xlt

Vehicle Specs

could my 2000 watt stereo system make this code?
raygulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:22 PM   #17
matt0248
Chicago
02 XLT V8

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by raygulley View Post
could my 2000 watt stereo system make this code?
anything is possible. The cam sensor signal is very sensitive to electrical noise.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:11 PM   #18
Allen35540
San Diego, CA
1995 Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Radio transmitters and avoiding interference.

For those running radio transmitters such as amateur and CB radio equipment should use high quality coaxial cable and mount the antenna up high, (on top), especially if you are running power. I have not experienced any interference to the system or that sensor in my 95 Eddie Bauer even though I have 200-watts of sideband power coming out the antenna. The antenna mounted on the front luggage rack and then consequently grounded with a good run of high quality coax should be no problem.
Allen35540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 01:11 PM   #19
brokenarrow
Manchester, NH
'01 XLT

Vehicle Specs

I just got a P0340 cmp a couple of weeks ago, the truck was running fine for the last 2 wks up until today the engine started running rough. Following this thread i checked the voltage at the battery and the alt. and found that the voltage is hovering around 14.00 to 14.20 and sparaticly jumps down to 13.20 with and without load. Im just trying to find out and be sure it is the alt before i go buy one. I know i probably answered my own question here but i need to be sure.

I made a video with the truck under load and not under load, you can hear how bad the truck is running. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

YouTube Video
If you are able to see this message it means that you don't have flash installed or that the video server is down.
brokenarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 03:05 PM   #20
brokenarrow
Manchester, NH
'01 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Gave in bought a new alt and threw it in, cleared the code and took it for a spin, so far no 340, cleared up the rough idle a little but still has a little hiccup. ill give it couple couple cranks on the key later to see if 340 comes back.

Question?
Where is the Cam Position Sensor? Is it that sensor with the 2 wires just above and to the back of the water pump. I have '01 Ex v8 5.0
brokenarrow is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page