Status
Not open for further replies.

scruff

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Limited chassis only
Greatings everyone. I'm new to this forum and I'm hoping to gather up some info from you guys knowledgeable in the AWD performance area, Rocket and AWDrocks these might some for you guys.

Heres the thought, I have an early 50's Ford F1, destined to be made into a street rod, and I would like to know if an AWD explorer could be used as a basic chasis. Look to the Quadraduece for inspiration.
I've studied up and there are a world of over the counter mods and options for this truck, involving Mustang 2 style IFS, four links etc etc add nauseum. But it's all been done a million times, just look at custom classic 'all the same' trucks some time.
All also beleive iun the Ford engine in a Ford thing.

Now with the questions...many of which are tricky to get answers for without a manual.

First and most important. Does the 02-05 gen of explorer AWD use a full chasis ? I have a 1993, but I imagine things have moved on a whole lot since then !

Is the AWD system on all models or are some true ofroad style 4x4 ? I don't want to make a 4x4 hot rod, but an all time AWD V8 powered one.

Is the transaxle in these decently strong ? I am not thinking super high power, just a lightly modded stock v8 or something wilder like AWDrocks has built.

Are thes available as as stick shift AWD or just Auto ? Is the V8 common or rare in these ?

Lastly, what specific models were/are true AWD, as much info as possible is good, body style, VIN coding etc.

Thanks in advance for any and all help ! If anyone thinks I am crazy feel free to menion that too.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you thought about 96-01 AWD Explorers?

I think using the entire driveline, frame, suspension, motor (5.0L), would be a sweet basis for a hot rod F100. Or is this actually an F-1? Either way. :D I think the measurements would be a lot closer than an 02+ Explorer.

If you're looking for an '02 plus, they had Fully independant suspension, which is what I'm assuming you want. The 4.6 came with either a two speed electronic 4WD transfer case of an all mechanical AWD transfer case. All of the Mountaineers had AWD. The 4.6 would definetly be the way to go if you were going to do this.

If i was doing an awd street rod project, i'd be using the gm awd transfer case with the viscous coupling. no internal electronics to fail, heck i thought of finding one and trying to adapt it to my stock explorer. if i was to use an explorer frame it'd be a gen2 with the ifs front and the solid rear, mainly because i dunno if i'd need to use, find, or make anythng to keep the the alignment right when dropping the 4 wheel independant vehicle. the gen 1 frames might not be so friendly with suspension geometry when lowered since they are TTB. trick is cool, but it is also complicated.

Doubt Incarnate said:
If i was doing an awd street rod project, i'd be using the gm awd transfer case with the viscous coupling. no internal electronics to fail, heck i thought of finding one and trying to adapt it to my stock explorer. if i was to use an explorer frame it'd be a gen2 with the ifs front and the solid rear, mainly because i dunno if i'd need to use, find, or make anythng to keep the the alignment right when dropping the 4 wheel independant vehicle. the gen 1 frames might not be so friendly with suspension geometry when lowered since they are TTB. trick is cool, but it is also complicated.

Whats wrong with the viscous couplings in the Explorer AWD TCs?

i was under the impression they were an electro magnetic clutch sort of thing. obviously it was a misguided impression. what is the designation for that TC and what would i have to do to get it to fit my 5r55e?

The AWD is only found in V8s in you year. It uses the "standard" 6 bolt flange. Whereas your control trac TC uses a 5 bolt. Need an adapter from advanced adapters(if they make it?) and probably a different output shaft along with new drive shafts.

The newer chassis (02 up with IFS/IRS) uses an electro magnetic clutch for its V8 t-case since it is a full range transfer case. The 96-01 V8s use a viscous coupling transfer case that is full time and can not be disengaged.

Hmmm, all this is great info.
It does sound like the earlier 96-01's might be better. I don't really need the IRS but the IFS is a must otherwise I'd just use my Gen 1.
A 96-01 is also going to be a lot cheaper.

I also like the idea of the earlier viscous transfer case, any extra electronics are hard to adapt to a rod.
Are the transfer cases in the 96-01's single speed ? Obviously I wouldn't need 4x4 low ranges and the like.

One thing that does play in the favour of a newer chasis is the 4.6, the newer tech engine would be nice but also make the whole thing more expensive for mods. An old school 5.0 would also look more the part (this is a 51 F1 remembver) if I ran a carb instead of the injection.

CougarX said:
The newer chassis (02 up with IFS/IRS) uses an electro magnetic clutch for its V8 t-case since it is a full range transfer case. The 96-01 V8s use a viscous coupling transfer case that is full time and can not be disengaged.

Someone also mentioned using the GM transfer case. I did think of that but I'd like to use as much existing stuff from one chasis as possible, it simplifies things greatly and makes a much cheaper rod in the long run.
I could also just try and find an old Syclone and use that chasis but it's old tech, expensive these days and worst of all, <GM>, this is Ford after all.

So should I move this to the earlier model forum or are we cool to talk about it in here ? You guys seem to have some good knowledge.

In a 96-01 what would be the best V8 model to look for ?

Thanks everyone.

CougarX said:

'03 and up the mechanical AWD was available.

for '95-'01 V6s got the electronic 4WD crap, V8s got the mechanical AWD. Since you're looking for a V8, you're set.

The 4.6 and 5.0 would probably be about the same to mod. The 4.6 has been around since the early 90s so they've been circulating for a while. The 4.6 is also much larger than the 5.0. But like you said, you're pretty well set on a '96-'01 V8.

Even better about using a 96-01 is they seem to be in plentiful supply with V8's and a are pretty cheap.
Finding one that's been in a wreck to take the chasis shouldn't be too hard.

Now I need to track down various wheel base lengths and see what suits.

If any of you remember the Jaguar XKR from "Die Another Day"

XKR.jpg

They acually need to make this car AWD for the snow/ice scenes. So the tokk the whole front end of a AWD Explorer and stuffed it up in there. No BS this what I heard. ;)

Another great point about using an Explorer 5.0 setup is that a 351 would bolt right up. :cool:

Stic-o said:
If any of you remember the Jaguar XKR from "Die Another Day"

XKR.jpg

They acually need to make this car AWD for the snow/ice scenes. So the tokk the whole front end of a AWD Explorer and stuffed it up in there. No BS this what I heard. ;)

I thought they did that procedure to the Aston? I read about it in a Motor Trend sometime ago. Could have been either, its been a while.

IAmTodd said:
'03 and up the mechanical AWD was available.

I didn't know this. I know the 02 V8s have electronic AWD for sure, because my sister has one and it has low range as well. They changed the 03s to a full time mechanical case? Did it have low? The nice thing about the 95-01 AWD V8 t-case is that it is small compared to most electronic full range transfer cases so it would fit under a rod easier.

What system does the V8 AWD Mounty have then???? My dealer said the 02' Mounty had a different system then 2 that were avalible on the 02' Explorers. It has a 35/65 front/rear split with a viscous coupler according a few sources, Full time AWD with no buttons to push.

The mounty had the mechanical AWD TC that the Explorer did. Just no regular 4X4 option. In '03 and up both options were available on the Explorer.

my 02 V8 has the low range button, but it's not a part time T-case, but suposedly doesn't engage the T-case until it senses a slip from a rear tire.

2 steps ahead of you

Well I'm not really sure I'm ahead in real way.

I had the same idea about a year ago, but my project has stalled for too many stupid reasons to list.

I actually came on here looking for help on what the best AWD transfer case would be and I found your post.

The engine, which I hope to resurrect, is a 1996 Mark VIII 32V 4.6 V8.

The truck is a ‘51 Ford F-1. Most of the body panels are in good shape, but there is surface rust galore.

And for the thing de resistance 2002 Ford Explorer AWD, 4 wheel independent chassis.

The guy I bought it from swears it has never been used under a vehicle. It was some sort of demonstrator chassis. Other than weathering you would expect from sitting in the elements for the last 4 years I have no reason to doubt him. It is perfectly straight and ready to be a hot rod chassis.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

scruff said:
Are thes available as as stick shift AWD or just Auto ? Is the V8 common or rare in these ?

The manual transmissions were only availble in the V6s with 4WD not AWD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back