Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Explorer - Ranger Interior Accessories

Notices

Explorer - Ranger Interior Accessories Seating, Neons, Custom Upholstery, Headliners, Carpet, Console, etc...

Opening the rear hatch from inside.

Old 07-12-2007, 08:26 AM   #1
chriswells78
Powell(Columbus), OH
96 XLT 5.0 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Opening the rear hatch from inside.

So I used the Explorer to camp in last weekend. A full size air mattress fits perfectly in the back with the rear seats down. It worked great for all but one aspect. We couldn't get out the hatch from the inside.

My question is, is there a trick to opening the hatch from the inside or is it not possible. If it is not, does anybody have any ideas how to make some sort of hatch release from the inside? It's kind of a PITA to crawl out the rear door.

( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:03 AM   #2
aoprea
Hicksville, NY
'91sport

Vehicle Specs

well the stock latch rotates to disengage so you might look into taking the rear hatch apart and installing a pully near the bottom edge and run a wire under it to the part of the rotating mechanism the moves down. the wire can then leave the door 5 or six inches up from the bottom and have a handle attached.
this will let you pull up and disengage the latch with a mattress in the bed.

I haven't actually tried this but might eventually because I also like the idea of sleeping in the back of my truck on a futon mattress i have lying around.
aoprea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 02:55 PM   #3
Tbars4
Offroad/Fitness Moderator
anaheim hills,california

95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
lmao, i just seen this post today...i asked the very same question a couple of weeks ago as i to went camping and had a worst time getting out...my door lock pins in the rear were the same height as the fronts...in order to get out the back at all i had to reach down thru everything, release the drivers side seat so it would tilt forward so i could get to the button to unlock the doors...either that or take a chance on busting my armrest crawling thru...thank goodness i'm good in tight quarters, lmao...

i didn't get any good responses to my post but i will devise something...my main concern is at least being able to open that window manually, in case of emergency or if it gets to warm in there you can easily open the window without your keys sitting in the ignition...

How to: Wheels,Tires, & Lifts...
Buy Explorerforum.com Items here
Tbars4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 03:43 AM   #4
toypaseo
Flunked daycare
outside shovelling snow

................ 96 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
I wonder if you could use something like a power trunk kit or door popper kit (ones used with shaved door handles; stronger solenoids)
toypaseo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 12:15 PM   #5
chriswells78
Powell(Columbus), OH
96 XLT 5.0 4x4

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
That might work. I'll have to do some research when I get done with my motor project.

Old 07-22-2007, 12:25 PM   #6
CDW6212R
Elite Explorer
Knoxville, TN

98 Mountaineer A4WD

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
There you go, attach a popper to the latch, inside the hatch. You would end up placing the switch on the hatch though,feeding wires out to the body is not easy. Good luck,

Be American, Buy American (Manufacturer)
CDW6212R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 04:58 AM   #7
Charlie
Wisconsin
1995 F-150

Vehicle Specs

Did you ever try this? I would also be interested in what you did, because I find myself in the same situation a lot

1996 Sport
2000 XLT
1995 F-150
1987 F-150 XLT "The General"
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 07:15 AM   #8
chriswells78
Powell(Columbus), OH
96 XLT 5.0 4x4

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
I'll be working on it in a few months before we get full swing into camping season

Old 04-17-2008, 10:20 AM   #9
Buffalosports
Buffalo, New York
1998 Sport - 4WD

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswells78 View Post
So I used the Explorer to camp in last weekend. A full size air mattress fits perfectly in the back with the rear seats down. It worked great for all but one aspect. We couldn't get out the hatch from the inside.

My question is, is there a trick to opening the hatch from the inside or is it not possible. If it is not, does anybody have any ideas how to make some sort of hatch release from the inside? It's kind of a PITA to crawl out the rear door.
I have the same question but for a much more serious reason. My liftgate is rusted over. It won't open. I am going to replace it this summer but I am not sure as to how I am gonna get it open to replace it.
Buffalosports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 03:11 AM   #10
Spdrcer34
Bremerton, WA
1992 Explorer XL

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I shaved the T-handle off the back of my X, and installed the T-handle in the inside of the hatch...I also installed the exact motor shown in this thread on the glass release latch. So I can press a button on my remote, and it will release the glass, I can reach in and pull the hatch open....the same can be done in a stock application too...

Ryan

Old 05-03-2008, 03:45 AM   #11
kfkodiak
B

Vehicle Specs

Wow, somehow I never saw this thread last year.

If you gently close the rear glass so it just rests against the weatherstripping, it will not engage the latch. This will allow you to simply push it open from inside. This may be possible with the entire hatch, though I've never tried it.

The solenoid idea would be pretty cool though.
kfkodiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 04:17 AM   #12
FROADER
Huntington Beach, CA

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
^^ That exactly what I used to do, when I slept in the back of the explorer. Just pop the glass so it's not latched and then in the morning, push it open. You can then open the hatch with the handle outside. It also allows just enough fresh air while you sleep.
FROADER is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page