Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Explorer Related Polls

Notices

Explorer Related Polls Polls here are for Explorer related topics only... All other polls go in the "General Topic Polls" Forum located under the "More Topics" catagory.

The Best Year for the Explorer

Old 12-01-2007, 12:06 PM   #1
tortoisethunder
Simi Valley, Ca.
1999 Explorer Sport 4 X 4

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
The Best Year for the Explorer

Ok, what would be the best year, model, engine, 2dr or 4dr, etc.
The base of an ok street vehicle(to get there, smogable, etc.), but an unstoppable off road monster, basically as bullet proof as possible.
It would have to be reliable, parts would have to be available and relatively inexpensive.
Please list specific modifications that would be a must. Please add pics. I am looking for some ideas.
tortoisethunder is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 12-01-2007, 01:17 PM   #2
Donner
Natomas/Irvine
01 Sp 03 XLT 4x4s, Scion

Vehicle Specs

Cool Polling or shopping?

Good questions! Are you polling? Because if not, you can search around through the Forums under Modified years and get a lot of feedback just by seeing what everybody has and have done to their vehicles... Check it out...

I would say the 1st and 2nd gens are best for offroading because they do more suspension mods... Whereas the 3rd and 4th are limited in suspension mods, but are both street and 4x4...

Suerte!

Old 12-01-2007, 02:06 PM   #3
techieman33
Topeka, KS

00 V8 Mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I would look for a 2000/2001 with the v8, with a 4406 transfer case swap it would be a really good start.
techieman33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 04:27 PM   #4
tortoisethunder
Simi Valley, Ca.
1999 Explorer Sport 4 X 4

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by techieman33 View Post
I would look for a 2000/2001 with the v8, with a 4406 transfer case swap it would be a really good start.
Why 00/01? I was thinking the v8 for sure, I wonder which year was the lightest? Most likely the gen 2? I am thinking gen 2 with a solid front axel after breaking the half shafts? Is the 4406 transfer case an option or where do you get one?

I got to thinking, after seeing a kid with a toyota truck, with a chevy solid front axel, outside roll cage, 2 transfer cases, and a stainless steel 13 gal HEATED water tank with pump, where the spare was. Extra batteries across the frame, a totally self contained, hunting/fishing/camping vehicle. It looks like it could go anywhere, and by the way the body looks it had.

I could make an Explorer a real EXPLORER...perfect size...good "base"...tough enough to start...plenty of ranger/f150/f250 parts available...I could sleep in the "back", take a shower, rinse things off, take supplies...etc.?
tortoisethunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 06:05 PM   #5
techieman33
Topeka, KS

00 V8 Mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
those were the last 2 years of the second gen, so they had most of the bugs worked out by then. the 4406 case is out of an f-150 or expiditon, if you do a search for 4406 swap you'll find lots of info about it, it will get rid of the low range and give you a real 4wd transfer case with low range, everyone that has done it loves it, they say it'll crawl just about anywhere just at idle.
techieman33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 09:17 AM   #6
95offroadx
Palmyra, Pa
91 explorer xlt

Vehicle Specs

91-94, have to be the most off road capable from the factory. 4.0ohv its got enough low end power, 5spd manual, manual tcase. And a lift kit only takes a couple hours to install. The front TTB axle, is a lot more offroad friendly then the torsion bar setup. You can get a ton of suspension travel from using jeep coil springs.

xplorer pics ranger pics
Josh Hossler
95offroadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 10:16 AM   #7
CDW6212R
Elite Explorer
Knoxville, TN

98 Mountaineer A4WD

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
The first 91-01's are very similar when the off road major changes have been done. The parts for the 2nd gen's are newer and easier to find now.

FYI, the 1998-2001 Explorer's are virtually identical. All of the bugs were worked during the 97 model year. Aside from an odd interior color change, side air bag options, heated seat option, the 98-01's are equally good. Do avoid the 98 Limited or Eddie Bauer if you don't want to deal with the ARC air shocks. They can be swapped out though, good luck.

Be American, Buy American (Manufacturer)
CDW6212R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 03:31 PM   #8
Charlie
Wisconsin
1995 F-150

Vehicle Specs

I agree, late model second gens are the best, with the v8.

1996 Sport
2000 XLT
1995 F-150
1987 F-150 XLT "The General"
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page