• Register Today It's free!

Cali-state rules on engine swap

spotter guy

Reaction score
City, State
HB, Ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1986 high torque Bigwheel
For the last few days I have been researching the installation of the Ford 302 engine in a first gen-exploder. To clear the air on requirements from the BAR, ARB (Bureau of Automotive Repair, Air Resources Board) and Smog Referee Station there are some rules you should know.
Requirements to pass smog in Enhanced Smog zones:
1.) Same year engine or newer
2.) Same Fuel delivery system or newer
3.) All smog equipment required for the year/make/model engine.
4.) Exhaust system retained in the exact configuration as original factory installed.
5.) All fuel tank sensors or tank from the same year/make/model vehicle as engine. The installation of a donor tank may require inspection by DOT (Department of transportation) safety division ONLY if Referee tech feels it is unsafe. Any aftermarket tank must have an EO (Executive Order) number that corresponds to the year/make/model vehicle and or year/make/model of engine.
6.) Engine must pass smog requirements from the year/make/model engine and have functioning service lights on dash with diagnostic plug and NO computer code alarms.

Extras:
You are not allowed to mix and match parts from different year/make/model engines. For example, you can't use a 1994 mustang engine and 1996 exploder exhaust manifolds. Everything must stay the same and the only 2 exceptions are as follows:
1.) After market smog legal parts (headers, intake, etc.) that possess the EO (Executive Order) number given to the manufacturer by the ARB also known as the sticker for under the hood.
2.) The Referee tech does not notice a change or part installed from a different year engine. The smog tech I spoke with made it very clear that he will inspect casting numbers to be sure he is not fooled however not all techs are this diligent in fact he was very willing to help and even give me guidance when I get closer to an install.
You can’t even cut an exhaust pipe to get around x-member or clear frame-horns before the catalytic-converter. It must all stay the same as it was from the factory. I would have to imagine that some have done the swap and not had to go through all this but these are the rules and like any official not all techs are the same.

One other important thing:
For those of you like me, that want to get a donor EX 96 or newer think again; plan carefully first gen. has the OBD-1 (On Board Diagnostics) and the 96 and newer uses OBD-2. Two totally different systems and it may require more work. OBD-2 is much better for fuel economy and trouble shooting engine related problems to name a few however; it uses more SENSORS/CATS and may be more work than it is worth. There are a lot of choices and I will continue to research this topic until I have completed an install.

Please post experiences you’ve had doing the smog portion of your engine swap so people can find good sources and clear up any questions they may have.
Disclaimer: I am only relaying the info I was told by a certified smog tech working currently in the Huntington Beach area at a Smog Referee Station.
Sources:www.bar.ca.gov, www.arb.ca.gov The ARB can get you in contact with a local Referee Station
:salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tracy has a 1998 4.0 tj motor in her 1984 cj7. It sounds like the guy you talked to is tougher then the guy that we had do the inspection. At least on the TJ motor the OBDII didn't make it to much more difficult. The hardest part for us was getting the check engine light onto the dash. It is tripped by a computer inside the original instrument cluster. It took some work but we were able to get it to work.

He also failed us the first time because we had Borla header on the engine. When we came back with papers showing it was a 50 state legal header then he passed us no problem.

We did this swap about 3-4 years ago and have had to smog the jeep at the local smog shop and didn't have any problems.

So what do you reccommend? I know 410Fortune swapped all of OBDII in his truck. If I were ever to do a 302, I would consider it coming out of a Mustang from 92-93 era. I'm so far from having the knowlege to swap a motor.

I just went through emissions with my 91 yesterday and passed with flying colors. I have nothing on my new dash besides gauges. No check engine lights or blinker indicators. I thought I might get a little harassment but everyone was oooh'n and aaaw'n at my truck and I got through no problem.

We have 2 projects in the works that we'll need to go through this...

91-94 4.0 Into '85 Ranger, and into '86 Samarui.

We also have a '93 5.0 out of a T-bird that will go into a old FJ40, but that will not have to go thru the smog system due to age of FJ.;)

Extereme 4x4 did a show about legal DOT approved engine swaps. They also indicated that a new computer is required because the VIN for the vehicle must match the VIN programed into the computer. So if you are swapping computers, then it will not be legal unless the computer is reprogramed to show the same VIN numbers. I believe that that is a federal DOT requirement.

Extereme 4x4 did a show about legal DOT approved engine swaps. They also indicated that a new computer is required because the VIN for the vehicle must match the VIN programed into the computer. So if you are swapping computers, then it will not be legal unless the computer is reprogramed to show the same VIN numbers. I believe that that is a federal DOT requirement.

This would be OBDII, OBDI would not have that info.

This is exactly why I am happy to live where there are no smog requirements. However, I do enjoy my clean air so my factory smog equipment is still intact and if I ever do a motor swap, it too will be clean burning.

:fire: I am not sure why CA makes a motor swap so difficult. If the emissions are the concern, than test the emissions. Why does the gas tank matter, as long as it's solidly mounted, grounded, sealed, and not leaking.
Why does the shape of the exhaust pipe matter as long as proper catalytic converters are used and the emissions coming out of it is probably cleaner than the original due to the use of a newer, more fuel efficient motor.

Okay, I'll get off my soap box now. Sorry.

Hey I totally agree that Cal. engine swaps are not easy. I am just wondering if like Rock Ranger said, maybe in SoCal. the techs are just more ****. I want to get a X (V8) and swap the OBD-1 over to OBD-2 I just don't want to be the first. One thing that gets me is the wheel speed sensors. If the OBD-2 system looks at wheel speed then I must get sensors and I don't want to be transfering the ABS computor also. No matter what I will figure this out, I think that there is a little more research I need to do. My end result should be that a factory ford tech can repair any problems that may come up over the years like any other vehicle. Does anyone know of a thread documenting the problems of a cal. engine swap in an X?

Winter,

I would try to use something OBDI, other wise OBDII from a explorer could have issues with the PATS system, which is a whole other mess:rolleyes:

So that leave you with F-150, E-150, Bronco, Crown Vic, T-Bird, Stang. Or there siblings from Linc/Merc

We bought our 93 T-bird just for a engine swap...that is still running great and passes smog for $300 bucks;)

122875_0.jpg

12287T-Bird.jpg

Thanks guys, that is what the tech said too. Looks like a Stanger or t-bird then and not the E or F the intake is pointing the wrong way.....

or a lincoln mkvII?

Back