How To: California Smog and "Evap Test" | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How To: California Smog and "Evap Test"

Tbars4

Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
anaheim hills,california
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
...This includes basic information on getting your vehicle smogged in California..:thumbsup:

...Vehicle Registration and Title Info, (All the links you will need)..
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/vr.htm

California Engine Swap Rules...:thumbsup:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221144

Got a Smog Test Story, post it here...
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2173230#post2173230

...Great info on smog problem's..:biggthump
http://www.smogtips.com/emission_inspection.cfm

..If you failed Emission's, click here...;)
http://www.smogtips.com/failed-emissions-test.cfm

From Calif. DMV

Do I need a smog certification? What if I haven't had my vehicle smog checked?

Currently, smog inspections are required for all vehicles except diesel powered vehicles, electric, natural gas powered vehicles over 14,000 lbs, hybrids, motorcycles, trailers, or vehicles 1975 and older.

Vehicles registered in areas subject to the biennial smog certification program are required to submit evidence of a smog certification every other renewal period. Owners of vehicles six or less model years old will pay an annual smog abatement fee for the first six registration years instead of being required to provide a biennial smog certification. The registration renewal notice mailed to you by the department will indicate if a smog certification is required. If a smog certification is required and you have not had a smog inspection, you may still pay your registration fees to avoid any late fees. However, you will not receive your new registration or year sticker until the smog information has been received by DMV.

NOTE: Upon initial registration, nonresident and specially constructed vehicles 1976 and newer require smog certification. The six or less model years old rule does not apply to these vehicles.

When you transfer a vehicle that is four or less model years old a smog certification is not required. A smog transfer fee will be collected from the new owner. When a vehicle is more than four model years old, a seller must provide evidence of a current smog certification except when the following occurs:

The transfer occurs between a spouse, sibling, child, parent, grandparent, or grandchild.
A biennial smog certification was submitted to DMV within 90 days prior to the vehicle transfer date (a vehicle inspection report may be required for proof of certification).
Smog certifications are good for 90 days from the date of issuance.

A smog certification for "Transfer of Vehicle".

Smog certifications are good for 90 days from the date of the inspection. The smog certification is not required if a biennial certification was submitted to DMV in conjunction with renewal fees within 90 days prior to the vehicle transfer date. A statement to that effect must be signed by the seller or the buyer. A vehicle inspection report may be required for proof of certification.

Recent legislation changed the requirements for vehicle transfers occurring on or after January 1, 2005. When you transfer a vehicle that is four or less model years old a smog certification will not be required. A smog transfer fee will be collected from the new owner. When a vehicle is more than four model years old, evidence of a current smog certification must be provided by a seller except when the following occurs:
The transfer occurs between a spouse, sibling, child, parent, grandparent, or grandchild.
A biennial smog certification was submitted to DMV within 90 days prior to the vehicle transfer date (a vehicle inspection report may be required for proof of certification).
________________________________________________________________________________________

...As of about October of 2007, besides doing a Biennial smog (every other year) for your vehicle, and if it is a 95 or older model you are also required to do an "Evap Test"...Information for the "Evap Test" may be found toward the bottom of this post..

..There are two smog test...A regular smog check (about $20-$50) or a "Test only", when Dmv selects your vehicle to go to a "Smog Check-Test Only" station...This test is a little more extensive and cost about $50-$80 depending where you take it and if you use a coupon..

...It was time for my Biennial smog test on the Ranger and I hit the Trifecta...Smog Check, Test Only, and the new "Evap test"...So, I thought I would take it in and get some pics for those who are needing to get their smog done but don't know what to expect...

...Some "Basic" things to do before a smog check..

..Be sure to do some basic maintenance such as:

Plugs, wires, inspect all vacuum hoses, evap hoses, air filter, PCV valve, and clean your MAF...Also check your gas cap and make sure the rubber seal is good...If it is not, spend the money and get a good gas cap as the rubber seems to last a lot longer on them...

...I've been told over the years by several mechanics to take my vehicle, fill it up with good gas and do a good drive on the freeway just before a smog check...Also, when waiting in line leave the vehicle running and these mentioned items will get your catalytic converter and the rest of your emission systems up to optimum operating temp and keep them there...;)

...The items they check...

...First they do a visual on all these items:

a) They check the smog sticker on your radiator support.
b) PCV
c) EGR
d) Wiring to Sensors
e) Liquid Fuel Leak
f) Malfunction Indicator Light
g) Fuel Evap Controls
h) Fuel Injection
i) Vacuum Line Sensors/Switches
j) Fuel Cap Integrity Test (Pull cap and Vacuum test it)
k) Ignition Timing
l) Catalytic Converter
m) Oxygen Sensor
n) Other related Emission Components
o) Fuel cap Visual
..and if your vehicle is 95 and older, the "Evap Test" (See below)..

...On to the Pics...

...This is the smog guy doing the visual under the hood...
smog001dp2.jpg

..And around the Fuel tank
smog002ow9.jpg

..Then they stick this rod/sensor in the exhaust pipe
smog003mz0.jpg

..They then get in the vehicle and watch this computer as it tells them when to idle, run it up to the 15mph test, and then move on up to the 25mph test...when it's done the computer will print out the results...
smog005da0.jpg

________________________________________________________________________________________

...The "Evap Test"

..The "Evap Test" consist mainly of them pulling your gas cap, putting an adaptor on your tank, and pumping Nitrogen in your tank at 35# and doing a leak off test...

smog009yv7.jpg

smog008ln9.jpg

...This picture shows the clamp they use to clamp the hose off that goes from the fuel tank back up to the evap cannister...
smog013qm9.jpg

..Now it's time to get nervous when the smog guy takes this posture...
smog014lq1.jpg

...So you walk over to see him looking at this info on the machine...:splat:
smog012za7.jpg

..The common failure to the "Evap Test"..

..The common problem is the fuel filler hose on not only the Ranger, but Explorer's also..Second is the Evap hoses coming from the tank..Even if you are not an offroader these hoses get dried up and crack...

..Here is a pic of my fuel filler hose and if you look at the right side of the hose you will see the fuel had left it's mark on the hose..
fuelhose003qg7.jpg

...I borrowed this pic from MountaineerGreen's thread on his hose replacement on his 93 Ranger...
attachment.php

...I was able to swap my Fuel Filler Hose out without dropping the tank or removing the bed...and No, I don't have a body lift on my Ranger...:D

...And here are a couple pics of my old and new, fuel filler hoses...

fillerhose001ri4.jpg

fillerhose002rf3.jpg

...The hose for the ranger is a special hose that Ford made...One hose with 2" on one end and 2 1/2" on the other..You can find these at the dealer or a specialty shop...Junkyards won't help as this is such a common problem it seems they are all cracked..:rolleyes:

...Ford wanted $400 for the Fuel filler hose only, and the cheapest I could find it locally, 1 place only, was $212 pl tx...For the ranger I found the whole assembly here for $155...
http://www.1aauto.com/1A/FuelTankFillerNeck/Ford/Ranger
1AFMX00011.jpg

______________________________________________________________________________________________

...Aftermarket Cold Air Intakes (CAI) and Headers...

...These items are not legal in California unless they are C.A.R.B. certified, (here is a link for C.A.R.B)
http://www.arb.ca.gov/homepage.htm , and they usally have an exemption tag affixed to the parts if they are....
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Important Update on Borla Headers

...If you ever have a problem with California Smog concerning the legality of your Borla Headers, please refer them to this information...;)
http://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/eo/D-276-1.pdf
______________________________________________________________________________________

...Here are some pics of my Borla headers on my X...The second pic shows the exemption tag which shows they are Borla brand and are registered with C.A.R.B....They look for these items and other aftermarket parts during the visual inspection on all California smog inspections...If you do not have these tags or proof that the item on your vehicle is a C.A.R.B. certified product, you will not pass smog..:(

4emissionszu2.jpg

4emissions2gu3.jpg

For information on your 91-94 Ranger/Explorer stock air box, go here...
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241696

...Here is a pic of my KKM CAI setup on my X...The KKM filter pretty much sits just above the bottom half of the stock airbox...It takes a whole 10 minutes for the swap back to stock for the smog test..:thumbsup:

relay004sa2.jpg

...Aftermarket air filters are not C.A.R.B. certified...This is from KKM...

Is the True-Rev Induction kit emissions legal in my area?

The True-Rev Induction Kit is designed for competition use and though it does not eliminate any required emissions devices, it does not carry any emissions exemption certificates. The bottom line is check with your state testing stations for guidelines on engine modifications. Our Kits are not C.A.R.B. certified.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

...Some other helpful info...

..This is a pic for reference of your engine bay...The green circle is your maf and the red circle is your throttle body...;)

40liter2.jpg

...I hope this thread will be helpful to you, and may you easily pass your smog test...:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice! :thumbsup:

Thinking about moving to CA someday. The Explorer has never been smog tested (not required here) so hopefully with this info I won't feel up sh¡t creek without a paddle if I fail it the first time!

...Thank you...Smog test are as routine as a tune up on your vehicle out here...:D

...There is some special info to register an out of state vehicle in California that you should look into before you move...It's not that bad but worth looking into...;)

just so you know EVAP test is only for pre '96 or non OBD2.

They do test the cap..well they are spose too, my guy just pulls one out of a drawer:D

just so you know EVAP test is only for pre '96 or non OBD2.

They do test the cap..well they are spose too, my guy just pulls one out of a drawer:D

...Thanks...It was already included above..;)

"...As of about October of 2007, besides doing a Biennial smog (every other year) for your vehicle, and if it is a 95 or older model you are also required to do an "Evap Test"..."

...But how come I always get lucky and the guy does everything by the book on me..:rolleyes:

...But how come I always get lucky and the guy does everything by the book on me..:rolleyes:

because I stumbled across this guy and only use him now:D How do you think that b2 i had passed:p:

Im so glad i do not have to do any of that.

The Lime would be no more

Me too. Well they sniff the exhaust and test the gas cap here, don't even pop the hood, no BS, it's nice.

...I just added Spotterguys link on Calif. Engine swap Rules...:D

...Thank you...Smog test are as routine as a tune up on your vehicle out here...:D

...There is some special info to register an out of state vehicle in California that you should look into before you move...It's not that bad but worth looking into...;)

SO far registering an out of state vehicle in california is'nt that bad just the smog check is PITA tho.

oh yea Stic-O wanna pass along the number for your smog guy? i need to get this thing done! (still)

SO far registering an out of state vehicle in california is'nt that bad just the smog check is PITA tho.

oh yea Stic-O wanna pass along the number for your smog guy? i need to get this thing done! (still)

Is over in Van Nuys on Van Nuys Blvd. right below, Sherman Way. If that's not to far for ya, I'll see if I can find his info;)

Is over in Van Nuys on Van Nuys Blvd. right below, Sherman Way. If that's not to far for ya, I'll see if I can find his info;)

k thanks

The Lime would be no more

Same here. However, I'm in a Catch 22 situation. Even though all of my vehicles are registered out of state (WA or SD), with no emissions requirements, the military still requires you to have a smog check done on your vehicle to obtain base decals. Granted the two vehicles I drive to work with are California exempt, the military is still dumb enough to say that it needs to be smoged. And I know that neither would pass, if I had to smog them, because the Harley doesn't have a charcoal canister and the F250 doesn't have a catalytic converter, the CCV has been converted over to an open system and it probably not pass an opacity test. And the Ranger is whole other story; illegal engine (although it is a CA motor), no cat, modified exhaust...

...That is some info that I'm sure the rest of the troops are not happy to hear..:(

...It is almost improbable to smog an out of state vehicle for a short term and most guys (and gals) will be relocated before the Bi-enial smog is due..:thumbdwn:

Yep, thats why I got new base decals right before I came down to San Diego! :)

And the Ranger is whole other story; illegal engine (although it is a CA motor), no cat, modified exhaust...

Is that the old Mazda Navajo motor?

If so, it's actually a Federal/49 state engine..

Motorcycles - no smog that I know of in CA.

Diesel? Last I knew, they will turn you away in CA..

Is that the old Mazda Navajo motor?

If so, it's actually a Federal/49 state engine..

Motorcycles - no smog that I know of in CA.

Diesel? Last I knew, they will turn you away in CA..

Yep, still running your old motor. Didn't know that it was a non-CA car.

And I know that CA doesn't smog motorcycles or diesels, but try telling that to some of our genius's in the military!

Same here. However, I'm in a Catch 22 situation. Even though all of my vehicles are registered out of state (WA or SD), with no emissions requirements, the military still requires you to have a smog check done on your vehicle to obtain base decals.

I'm PCSing to a school in that area from Illinois, and I will be down there for a year and a half. So can I just stop at Great Lakes Naval Base and grab some decals before I roll out to avoid this? My explorer is hopefully going to make the trip as is... let alone pass a smog inspection.:(

...I don't know the answer to this but here's a bump so someone who might know can help answer for you...:dunno:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm PCSing to a school in that area from Illinois, and I will be down there for a year and a half. So can I just stop at Great Lakes Naval Base and grab some decals before I roll out to avoid this? My explorer is hopefully going to make the trip as is... let alone pass a smog inspection.:(

YES! Get those decals renewed at Great Mistakes before leaving to avoid the hassle. When you get down here just don't check into Pass & Decal.

Also what school/base are you going to down here?

Back