Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1991 - 1994 Explorer Ranger Navajo 1st Generation > Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers For questions related to the base Ford Explorer. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications. No modification questions.

Why Were They Called EXPLODERS?

Old 02-15-2009, 02:45 PM   #1
1993Saturn
Redmond, OR
'94 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Why Were They Called EXPLODERS?

OK, I'm falling into the ignorance and lost category, but I do'nt really know why Explorers used to be called Exploders?

Also, what was done to rectify the problems? Is there something I should do to my '94?

Change the oil and listen to what it tells you.
1993Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 02-15-2009, 02:57 PM   #2
Glen4X4
McClure, Pa.

Vehicle Specs

Welcome To The Forum! Not sure if there is a deffinete answer to your question I know I used to call my old explorer an exploder just as a nick name. I know some 91's blew head gaskets but like I said don't know that theres an exact answer for that people probably have different reasons for it.

03 Silverado 1500 LS 4X4
Glen4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 03:45 PM   #3
celly
disturber of the peace
calgary

99 eb 5.0 awd

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I've owned 4 Exploders ('93, '97, '00 and my current ride a '99). I wouldn't read too much into the nickname. I call mine an Exploder all the time. Ford-haters tend to relish that name.

SCT XC2 w/Henson tunes, Flo Pro catback, EE swaybar & airdam, Morimoto HID projector retrofit (4300K), Bilstein shocks, Powdercoating by Turdle, Amsoil everywhere, other stuff.
Quote:
I didnt even waste my time to read that, nor will I, however I read some of it.
I, I, I, Me! Me! Me!,
Craigslist Scams for Dummies, Don't Be a Wannabe.
celly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 04:01 PM   #4
MikeLitt3810
Pittsburgh Pa,
92 Exploder 2 door, eddy

Vehicle Specs

Ford vehicles are still bursting into flames, often leaving little more than the frame. Some vehicles were covered by the recall and some were not.

In one of the biggest recalls of automotive history last September 2005, Ford warned almost four million owners of pick-up trucks and SUVs of possible fires. Ford Explorers should be on its lengthy recall list.

then urban dictionary
Ford Exploder ... Ford Explorer after many tire blow outs causing crashes and rollovers

Then

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKbBEpO_sZs

NOTHING I own has a CAT Convert..
MikeLitt3810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 04:05 PM   #5
celly
disturber of the peace
calgary

99 eb 5.0 awd

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLitt3810 View Post
Ford Explorers should be on its lengthy recall list.

then urban dictionary
Ford Exploder ... Ford Explorer after many tire blow outs causing crashes and rollovers
The recall relates to the cruise contol switch. Ford still does the required work for free. Assuming they have the parts in stock, it's a "while you wait" job.

Re: the infamous Firestone Wilderness A/T "scandal", I was happy because I got a new set of Michelins in the deal but NEVER felt nervous about having the Firestones. Completely overblown by the media just like most things in the US.

SCT XC2 w/Henson tunes, Flo Pro catback, EE swaybar & airdam, Morimoto HID projector retrofit (4300K), Bilstein shocks, Powdercoating by Turdle, Amsoil everywhere, other stuff.
Quote:
I, I, I, Me! Me! Me!,
Old 02-15-2009, 04:06 PM   #6
blueka
Elite Pickler
Saskatchewan, Canada

97 UK XL & 99 Sport V8

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
I always thought it was tyre related too...

Si

'97 Explorer XL 4.0 SOHC V6 "Betty"
'99 Explorer Sport Limited 5.0 OHV V8 "Pickle"

My "Betty" Registry My "Pickle" Registry
blueka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 04:16 PM   #7
1993Saturn
Redmond, OR
'94 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
[QUOTE=MikeLitt3810;2131932]
then urban dictionary

So what do you figure made the tires blow? Over inflation/underinflation? Were they Firestones only?

Does the door placard show the correct size tire and inflation?

ALSO, I had thought the gas tank would explode. Is there something I should do to modify my vehicle to make itsafer from the early quirks?

Last edited by 1993Saturn; 02-15-2009 at 04:27 PM.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:22 PM   #8
MikeLitt3810
Pittsburgh Pa,
92 Exploder 2 door, eddy

Vehicle Specs

[QUOTE=1993Saturn;2131944]
Quote:
then urban dictionary

So what do you figure made the tires blow? Over inflation/underinflation? Were they Firestones?
Firestone

NOTHING I own has a CAT Convert..
MikeLitt3810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 04:53 PM   #9
Robrt32
Sledge Mississippi
94 Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

Somebody gave me set of the Firestones during that ordeal...... I didn't have any problems and factoring in they didn't cost me a dime they could very well be the best set of tires Ive ever owned......lol
Robrt32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 05:02 PM   #10
mounty71
It's green, not gray.
San Francisco, CA

'00 Mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
[QUOTE=1993Saturn;2131944]
Quote:
then urban dictionary

So what do you figure made the tires blow? Over inflation/underinflation? Were they Firestones only?

Does the door placard show the correct size tire and inflation?

ALSO, I had thought the gas tank would explode. Is there something I should do to modify my vehicle to make itsafer from the early quirks?
What do you think would cause the gas tank to explode?

mounty71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 05:05 PM   #11
Masterd
Upland, CA
1993 Explorer Sport

Vehicle Specs

Just a nickname people give them, could be related to the firestone thing too.

Ford haters just LOVE to shout it out loud too.
Masterd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 05:52 PM   #12
abbott92
Ontario
'93 XLT 4x4 4Dr

Vehicle Specs

The gas tanks don't explode, the cruise control switches were known to overheat or spark even while the truck is turned off and cause the truck to catch fire and burn to the ground, I assume the name "exploder" came around because of the unexpected fires. Ford recalled this switch though which also included ford pick-ups, excursion, bronco, etc.. The tire that blew out and caused roll overs was a firestone tire produced back in the 90's, once it was discovered that this tired blew out firestone recalled the tire. It was only today that I pulled the spare out of my truck (i haven't had the truck on the road since i've owned it) and discovered it was one of these firestone tires, the tire looks brand new!!! It still has the "little rubber thingies" as I call them and there are no signs of wear on the treads. The rim is rusty but i filled the tire up with air and it seems to be holding fine, I am debating actually keeping that tire for my spare considering there is nothing wrong with it and it saves me the money of buying a new one. This was everything that I read by researching the internet, I don't believe that my truck is about to explode in flames, or rollover going down the highway, Explorers are awesome, I'll never get rid of mine!

Old 02-15-2009, 05:53 PM   #13
celly
disturber of the peace
calgary

99 eb 5.0 awd

Vehicle Specs

[quote=1993Saturn;2131944]
Quote:

I've never heard of a gas tank issue in my 16 years of Exploder ownership.

The tire issue was more related to the fact Explorers far outsold any other SUV at the time and the media liked to blow it all out of proportion. ALL SUVs at the time were top heavy and susceptible to rolling. You want a good mod? Try aftermarket swaybars. The early years need front and rear replaced. Later years only the rear.

Don't read too much into thte "Exploder" thing. They're great vehicles and there is nothing to be paranoid about. Surf around this site. There are MANY people on the site that swear by them. I think this site gets more hits than just about any other automotive site I've ever seen.

Quote:
I, I, I, Me! Me! Me!,
Old 02-15-2009, 06:59 PM   #14
1993Saturn
Redmond, OR
'94 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
[QUOTE=celly;2131999]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993Saturn View Post

at the time were top heavy and susceptible to rolling. You want a good mod? Try aftermarket swaybars. The early years need front and rear replaced. Later years only the rear.
Thanks for the info. I'll look into that one.

Any particular brand or design that deviates from OEM as you suggest?

Would also like to know if a wandering above 35mph can be corrected with an alignment. You correct your steering when it starts to wander and there is no response for a while, it just keeps going it's own merry way.I do have 3 dissimilar tires of varying tread design and depth (courtesy of the previous owner we just got it from). This will be changed as soon as we can get over the snow-clad mountains to where it is currently sitting, because it wasn't yet safe to bring over.

So, could the handling be that bad from alignment and tires only?

Thanks!

Last edited by 1993Saturn; 02-15-2009 at 09:09 PM. Reason: change question
Old 02-15-2009, 07:08 PM   #15
celly
disturber of the peace
calgary

99 eb 5.0 awd

Vehicle Specs

[quote=1993Saturn;2132056]
Quote:
Originally Posted by celly View Post

So, could the handling be that bad from alignment and tires only?
Could very well be the problem. Three different tires? Yikes. Alignment can't hurt either, but they'll probably try and sell you tires at the same time.

Quote:
I, I, I, Me! Me! Me!,
Old 02-16-2009, 11:23 AM   #16
mikeinri
04 Explorer, 94 XLT (RIP)

Vehicle Specs

Maybe no one here actually had the Firestone failire? The recall was NOT due to tires "exploding", but to the treads coming off.

This actually happened to me, while doing about 75-80 mph in the left lane of an interstate highway with no where to go but right... managed to limp off the road, pissing off lots of other drivers in the process. I actually thought the tire exploded from the noise it made, and was shocked to see it still inflated when I got out to look at it. The tires had over 75,000 miles on them, so I figured I was due for new tires anyway. Bought 4 Michelins, and the recall came out about 6-9 months later. Wish they had just held up a bit longer...

Mike
mikeinri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:05 PM   #17
4WDlifeform
Altoona, PA
98 XLT

Vehicle Specs

haha the "exploder" is so common. Even people that dont have explorers call them that. I have actually seen a "Jay Leno Headline" where they miss-spelled explorer, and the ad actually said ford exploder. That was probably the first time i heard that... years ago. Perhaps that helped introduce the nickname. Friends of mine call my explorer "Dora"... (after the kids cartoon Dora the Explorer) kinda lame, but its starting to stick, unfortunately.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:03 PM   #18
conway90
Rochester, Minnesota
1994 XLT

Vehicle Specs

All I know is I am the 4th person in my family to drive our '94 Exploder. It's got 176000 miles on it, 90,000 of that was on those Firestone A/T tires. My family got a new set of tires, and my dad was disappointed they wouldn't give him the same ones that got recalled because they were good tires for us. Everyone in my family calls it "the Exploder". I have no idea why, but it is definitely not because we have had issues with it. I love my Exploder, and am hoping to get at least another 50,000 miles out of it!
conway90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:37 PM   #19
1993Saturn
Redmond, OR
'94 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinri View Post
Maybe no one here actually had the Firestone failure? The recall was NOT due to tires "exploding", but to the treads coming off.

This actually happened to me, while doing about 75-80 mph in the left lane of an interstate highway with no where to go but right... managed to limp off the road, pissing off lots of other drivers in the process. I actually thought the tire exploded from the noise it made, and was shocked to see it still inflated when I got out to look at it. The tires had over 75,000 miles on them, so I figured I was due for new tires anyway. Bought 4 Michelins, and the recall came out about 6-9 months later. Wish they had just held up a bit longer...

Mike
So it seems the tires didn't blow apart, just eject their tread like a saturn booster rocket. This could cause one to overcompensate from surprise or whatever due to the change in steering and voila! you are flipped over! Could happen in any vehicle.

Thanks gentlemen. Glad to have the Canadian input, I graduated from Sr. Sec. in N. Van, BC.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:52 PM   #20
Spook
Comox, British Columbia
'93 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Lots of other vehicles have derogitory nicknames;

Mercury Mistake (Mystique)
Rustang, Pustang (Mustang)
Chevy Crapalier (they really are)
Pontiac Stunfire (Sunfire)
Pontiac Aztec (not really a derogatory name, just about the butt ugliest vehicle ever made)

I wouldn't put a lot of stock in the Exploder nickname, we have called both of ours that and to date no calamaties.

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page