Return from Katemcy Rocks, TX - Feb. 21, 2009 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Return from Katemcy Rocks, TX - Feb. 21, 2009

John_Rock

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sexy Sport Trac 4x4
I had an itching to get out of Houston last weekend. So I got the Sport Trac ready and late Friday evening I headed for Txplates house in Marble Falls, TX.

We had two choices for offroad parks near Marble Falls. Boulder Creek Trail Park or Katemcy Rocks. Katemcy Rocks looked more interesting. It's only 80 miles from Marble Falls.

Katemcy Rocks website:
http://katemcyrocks.com/

I've always heard of Katemcy Rocks as being a mini Moab in Texas. Which is kind of true. When I was there, I sat there and wondered who in their right mind would of ever bought that land before 4x4ing became a hobby. Because its just acres and acres of rock. Its no good for farming. Its no good for raising cattle. But yeah, its pretty good for going offroad and breaking your truck. :D

I can't wait for the day to go wheeling there with some of my usual Texan wheeling buddies. If only they would get their trucks into a wheeling state. I think Obama needs to donate some wealth to them to get their rigs going again. :thumbsup:

Anyways, Txplates and I had an interesting time checking out some of the park. It's a pretty big park and needs a few days to explore it all. One annoying thing is they don't have hand out maps of the park. And no trail markings out on the trails or painted markers on the rocks. I guess you need to hookup with someone that knows the park to go on a guided tour.

It was a cold(40F) and windy morning. The first decent ledge I was trying broke my driver's side CV axle. No sweat, I brought spares. 20 minutes later, I was ready to rock and roll again.

On to some pics and videos....

Black Sport Trac poser moment!

Dueling Sport Tracs
P1020571.jpg

Texas Golden Crack???
P1020580.jpg

P1020581.jpg

Here's my photobucket link for the rest of the photos....
http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w242/kalbokowboy/2009_Offroadiing/090221_KatemcyRocks/

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Videos....

Just arrived...

After fixing my CV axle there was a group made up mostly of well built Jeeps coming up a difficult hill. So we hung out and watched them. The one Rubicon in the group is the only one to have broken something on the hill and needed a strap.

Here's some videos Txplates took of them...

Then we headed off on our own way. We found a decent hill to climb. Just before we were going to try it another Jeep group came through. I think they were shocked when I drove up the hill after them. :rolleyes:
Txplates kept getting hung up on his rear hitch.
Oh yeah, **** NSFW - Language ****

Some cracks and a ledge...

Going down a long hill...

Awesome terrain!! Ship that to the east coast pls thx!

Back