Photos - Return from King of the Hammers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Photos Return from King of the Hammers

DB_1

Elite Ranger
Reaction score
City, State
La Quinta, Ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 SC Ranger xlt
If you follow rockcrawling at all you've probably heard of a relatively new off road race called the King of the Hammers or KOH. It combines some hardcore rockcrawling trails with some go fast Baja 1000 type terrain in between. Racers are sent off 2 at a time at timed intervals and must stop at checkpoints along the course.

Wednesday: I pull in late afternoon just a few minutes behind (Rockranger) Matt and Tracy and her parents and the winds are kicking up. Overnight the winds really picked up and sand found it's way into our tents. Luckily my tent was still standing next morning.

Thursday: STILL windy, we head over to the the last chance qualifier being held on a trail called Back Door. I believe there were 10 spots up for grabs and those 10 rigs would move on to the big race on Friday. The winds still remained through the qualifier but Matt, Tracy and I braved through it all. Tracy's parents decided to take shelter in the jeep, it was a bit much for them especially after last nights brutal winds. It was after the LCQ Matt & co. decided to head back home to get some relief from the never ending winds. I know Matt really wanted to stay but he was in the minority.

Friday: Raceday! Spent yet another night dealing with the winds but they finally died off in the morning...what a relief. I head over to the starting line and excitement is in the air with all the buggies lined up and doing their final prep. First we get the national anthem sung then the grand marshall Walker Evans get the honor of saying those oh so famous words "gentlemen, start your engines!" I grab a spot a ways down from the start line to get some video of them flying over the first jump.
My game plan was to hit a few different spots along the course, I'd get too bored waiting for buggies to come by if I stayed in one spot all day.
After watching some of the start of the race, I head out towards the first pit stop and hang out for a bit and watched a few cars pull in. That wasn't overly exciting so I make my way to the Back Door trail where the LCQ was held and there was quite a crowd hanging out. It's a good trail for spectating but I was there most of thursday so I didn't stay long.
My next plan of attack was to head back to the finish line and watch some cars come in but I wanted to watch some trail action so I headed across the lakebed and found a couple good trails to watch the action. First trail I came to was Jackhammer which they were coming down and next canyon over was Sledgehammer which they went up. The Sledgehammer trail had by far the most exciting action of all the spots I was at during the day.
I managed to shoot quite a bit of video and I'm trying to bunch a lot of it together but the files end up being too large for YouTube.
I'll have to figure something out there. I took a few pics but nothing real exciting.
Pirate 4x4 has some real good picture galleries:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/gallery/main.php

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry we had to go. I realy wanted to stay. There is talk about us going back next year but with a rented motorhome or trailer to stay in.

So are you ready to take your truck up sledge or jack?

Sorry we had to go. I realy wanted to stay. There is talk about us going back next year but with a rented motorhome or trailer to stay in.

So are you ready to take your truck up sledge or jack?

Hey, no problem I know it was out of your hands. I hope i'm able to make it next year.

LOL, you know when I was on the lower part of Jack I was thinking it didn't look much worse than Claw. But i don't know what the whole trail looks like at the top. Sledge has some nasty spots, especially where the plaque is.

There's a big debate going on Pirate over Shannon still running the course even after being DQ'd earlier for being towed in to the main camp. He had his tranny replaced then ran the course not stopping at the checkpoints. At the time I took video of him going up Sledge, I didn't know he was DQ'd. He put on a good show though.

Here's the video in question, should he have been on the course jeopardizing other peoples chances?

can you email me the video you have.

I can try sometime tomorrow or next week, i've been on my puter uploading video all day. I've got all the Sledgehammer footage together and it's around 200MB. I still got a ton of LCQ footage to put together.

I wonder if his IFS gave him problems going over that car. Looked like the second guy went over way easier. I bet most if not all the people out there didn't know that shannon was out of the race. If people knew he was out I bet he would have recieved a bit different reaction from people.

I listened to pirates coverage just about all day and they were telling people over the radio to try to get shannon off. Best story was probably adam plane. Snapped his front axle housing in half about 20 feet after he crossed the finish line.

Well I just got home. It has been a great experience over the past 2 months building 2 new rigs for this race for TwistedCustoms. Lots of very late nights but we got it done and came out fairly good overall. Our brand new rock racer only had 1 day of testing and placed 9th, it would have been top 3 at the rate he was going but a broken power steering line delayed him for a little bit. The BFG KRT tires got put through alot with no flats. This morning I had the opportunity to take the 9th place finisher for a spin over some whoops which was fun. I only saw 1 rock trail and that was Wrecking Ball which I rode up for a little bit of it before turning back before dark.

Lots of controversy during this race including Shannon and how the rules became more relaxed as the race went on and many more issues.

Good to see you Matt and Dave!

Got some more video of the action on Sledgehammer, I was going to try and lump this footage as one deal but i had to split them up to fit onto YouTube. I'll post the 3 videos here as they upload.

:burnout::burnout:
This stuff is awesome. Who wants to help me tube the Navajo? If I had the money and skill I'd make the Navajo into a "Rock Racer"

Count me in next year.

Just went over the vids, looked like fun! But too many people screaming! :)

Here's a video from Jackhammer, i've got one more but waiting on super slow you tube to upload it.

Thanks Colin, skiing must have been epic up at Mammoth:thumbsup:

KOH was great minus the winds, now that I know where a few more trails are i'll have a better game plan for next year if I can make it.

Just added part 2 of the Jackhammer video to my last post.

wow, this is about as intense as it gets.

So I have a question. Is winching allowed because I see a couple winches but not on all of the trucks.

Also, how many started, how many finished?

I think the problem is that theres not much to winch onto so builders just opt to not put one on - like XRRAs hardly use a winch cauz its all go go go.

Winching is allowed, what isn't allowed is no outside help from spectators or you get DQ'd. Also, you can only fuel up in the 2 designated pit stops on the course.

Here's a good list of rigs that finished and DNF:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=765863

I thought I read that help "flipping" a vehicle back on its wheels was "ok" but that was about it.. Can't get help like they did in 2008 with spare tires etc from spectators.

~Mark

wow, this is about as intense as it gets.

So I have a question. Is winching allowed because I see a couple winches but not on all of the trucks.

Also, how many started, how many finished?

Winching was allowed. Not all the rigs had the winches mounted up front. I saw a few mounted under the passenger seat. The line was routed out to the front and clipped to th e axle to allow it to suck down. This also allows the driver to engage and disengage the winch from inside.

About 35 of the 92 rigs finished in the alloted time.

Ok, here's the last of my videos...got some buggies off the starting line in no particular order and some LCQ (last chance qualifier) action.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow that ledge in those last few videos looks awesome.

Back