50 Horsepower For 5 Cents............ | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

50 Horsepower For 5 Cents............

jlsparky7

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Woodhaven, Mi
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 5.0 XLT AWD
Enjoy.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wish I had your engine plate thing.... mine just says 5.0L V8..

Not gonna lie that sounds kinda sketchy. Does the throttle cable get stretched out over time? If so then I retract my statement.

The "throttle cable mod" is one of the first mods I ever did to my old Sport (and replicated on my '99 Explorer). It's a good mod (I learned about it on EF). More responsive pedal, but I didn't find there was much in the way of HP gains. Definitely a good, cheap mod with noticeable results. The throttle responds right away instead of the lag that occurs with the stock setup. First time I ever saw a vid of it. Good stuff.

I too have an Explorer V8 plate. Got it off of eBay. I scored another one a few months ago. It's currently in Kansas awaiting powdercoating. :D

To the other poster, it does NOTHING harmful to the throttle cable. I've had it on my Eddie Bauer for 3 years now and did have it on my old Sport for 2 years. Never had any issues.

Interesting, I will have to take a look and see how I would do that on my 4.0L... Might come back here for reassurance.

so im guessing you can do this to any type of explorer with any engine in.

Is this the same video that's in your video thread?

i dont understand where the wire ties went.... and what is this going to do to your gas milage?

Works on any second generation Explorer from what I can tell (I've done it on both a SOHC equipped Sport and a V8 equipped Eddie Bauer). I seem to recall it works on 1st gens as well.

All this mod does is take up the slack in the cable, so when you floor it.. the throttle body will open completely instead of just almost completely.. I've done it with no ill effects. I did notice the truck was peppier afterward. It doesn't give horse power, it's more about throttle response.

If you get under there n look at where the cable is connected to the pedal, you'll see where there's some slack by pulling the pedal forward. My biggest worry was over stressing the cable but I've had zero problems with this mod and I'm pretty hard on my truck at times. Everything is still good to go. Very worthwhile mod if you need it.

Yea i looked at it like right after the video shows. i deffinitly have slack in the cable.. at WOT it is alittle over 1/4 he way open.
But i am still lost on how to put the wire ties on. :(
I feel semi retarted that i cant figure out how to put wire ties on a throttle cable, but i can lift the X 2"

Works on any second generation Explorer from what I can tell (I've done it on both a SOHC equipped Sport and a V8 equipped Eddie Bauer). I seem to recall it works on 1st gens as well.

im gonna rule out 3rd gens as they are "Fly by wire"

EDIT- kinda makes me wonder where my throttle plate sits at WOT?

You wrap the zip ties at the end of the wire, in front of the pedal where the slack is.

Any vehicle that has a throttle cable you can do this mod to.

Is this the same video that's in your video thread?

Yes it is.

i dont understand where the wire ties went.... and what is this going to do to your gas milage?

Get under there and take a look. Pull the gas pedal forward and you will see all the slack in the wire infront of the pedal. Thats where the zipties go.

This will not change your gas mileage. All it does is pull the slack out of the cable so that it will be like new again.

Yea i looked at it like right after the video shows. i deffinitly have slack in the cable.. at WOT it is alittle over 1/4 he way open.
But i am still lost on how to put the wire ties on. :(
I feel semi retarted that i cant figure out how to put wire ties on a throttle cable, but i can lift the X 2"

See above.

Thanks for all the comments fellas.

I did this when I had my '95 4-door. It really made a difference.

Just finished.

....As mentioned earlier, this mod has been around this Forum for a while...(but no videos of it I believe)..
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=56393

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166562&highlight=throttle

Yea it has. I got the idea from the guys over at www.rangerpowersports.com and a lot of people were confused by how it worked. I figured shooting a video would help but I dont know if it did. Its really simple.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wish I had your engine plate thing.... mine just says 5.0L V8..

It is pretty cool now that I notice it. Never really paid that close attention before. When I open the hood im usually trying to find a problem.

Back