96 awd 5.0 front drivetrain whine noise .. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96 awd 5.0 front drivetrain whine noise ..

Alaskakid87

Reaction score
City, State
Anchorage, Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Xploder XLT 5.0 AWD
So since I have owned this vehicle while driving the front end seems to whine with speed the faster you go the louder it gets, I have yet to change the front diff fluid but maybe if someone previously has had this issue please lend me some advice I'd like to pin point it and fix it before I make a 4,000 mile road trip!!

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think a front-end "whine" is usually caused by worn differential gears. You sure its from the front end and not from the transfer case?

Replacing the gear oil would be a good first step, who knows what the original stuff looks like by now.

I think a front-end "whine" is usually caused by worn differential gears. You sure its from the front end and not from the transfer case?

Replacing the gear oil would be a good first step, who knows what the original stuff looks like by now.

I definitely know its coming from the front somewhere cant really point it out other than it never really changes but I can feel it in the steering wheel if I pay attention to it... and yes I definitely need to change both front and rear fluid

Well I think I found the culprit.....As you can see I had a pretty big leak :(

DB59BD53-2941-40AA-868A-872BB6C8BB1B_zpseea2z4cu.jpg

The outer axle seal is shot and the dust cover that meets the back of the wheel bearing is dry rotted and cracked gonna try and find a new one!!

0F35BF83-55BB-4C01-A9E7-15A4A7586241_zpsyr3pesre.jpg

The whine you talk about - it varies with road speed and not with engine RPM, right?

The whine you talk about - it varies with road speed and not with engine RPM, right?

Correct, no whine when vehicle is stationary but as the vehicle moves the whine starts.... I am hoping that the new axle seal and new gear fluid will make a big difference and that its not too late :(

Well I think I found the culprit.....As you can see I had a pretty big leak :(

DB59BD53-2941-40AA-868A-872BB6C8BB1B_zpseea2z4cu.jpg

The outer axle seal is shot and the dust cover that meets the back of the wheel bearing is dry rotted and cracked gonna try and find a new one!!

0F35BF83-55BB-4C01-A9E7-15A4A7586241_zpsyr3pesre.jpg

Ok so I found the axle to Wheel bearing shield if anyone needs to locate it here is the part number and what it looks like

586E1A96-8B3A-42E3-9232-2B5E47F1E28C_zpsciqp5pan.jpg

A237E950-7D59-48A3-9E1B-7668667B85BA_zpso6vef3ip.jpg

Back