Nitrogen filled tires: ’99 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Nitrogen filled tires: ’99 Explorer

In my boundless pursuit of better gas mileage (http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44372&highlight=quest ), I have decided to test Nnitrogen in my tires.

Nitrogen filled tires have long been a mainstay of aircraft, racing vehicle and over the road truckers.

Some theoretical benefits of filling the tires with Nitrogen:

• Better air pressure retention -- Nitrogen doesn't seep out through the tire walls like Oxygen can, so tires remain fully inflated longer.

• Enhanced fuel economy -- Nitrogen dissipates heat faster than air, and heat causes rolling resistance. "Maintaining tire pressure can boost fuel economy by as much as 6 percent.

• Longer tread life -- Filling your tires with pure Nitrogen makes tires run cooler, which will reduce tire failure. It also prevents oxidation, which can cause tread separation and belt failure. Since Nitrogen doesn't carry moisture, it won't cause rust on the inside of rims and valve stems.

• Slow chemical aging -- "Filling a tire with Nitrogen also significantly slows the chemical aging process of the tire's rubber components."

More information about using Nitrogen in your tires can be found at the Get Nitrogen Institute ( http://www.getnitrogen.org/ ) who’s goal is to provide consumers, over-the-road truckers, fleet managers and others information about the benefits of using Nitrogen in tires.

I got my Nitrogen fills at Lanning Tire Sales ( 4502 Mariotti Ct
Sarasota, FL 34233 [ http://www.lanningtire.com/door/ ] ).. The cost was $5.00 per tire.

They use a Parker Air Saver Nitrogen filling machine ( http://www.tiresavernitrogen.com/products-automobile.html ) that attaches to the tire valve stem and first evacuates the air from the tire then inflates with Nitrogen and then repeats to insure that all the air is evacuated. It does all 4 tires simultaneously. The inflation pressure is adjustable; I used 40 psig. The purge and fill procedure takes about 15 minutes to complete.

Green valve caps were added to indicate Nitrogen fills.

I will be making another Georgia trip next week and will then compare mileage with my last Georgia run (http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44372&page=95&highlight=quest post 1886 ).
I am not expecting any drastic increase in mileage since I regularly check inflation pressure ( monthly ); however, any boost will make the Nitrogen fills meaningful for me.

It’s all the little things working synergistically and paying close attention to details that yield great gas mileage.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 2,981

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds very interesting....and definitely out of the ordinary to the common car. Hell, if you do get better mileage, might be worth trying...but not for only that, but the other benefits.

Let us know if you see any positive results, ive always wanted to try that.

I have it on my 97, standard procedure at Costco, where I bought my tires, didn't notice any change but then again, I always drive like I'm being chased so I can't say for sure LOL

I have it on my 97, standard procedure at Costco, where I bought my tires, didn't notice any change but then again, I always drive like I'm being chased so I can't say for sure LOL

HAHA me too dude, but I got a question, he said they maintain pressure longer, what about when when they are low? Do you just take it back to the shop and they fill it up again or what?

They actually do maintain presure longer, and in Costco, you get a 1yr policy that if you get a flat they'll fix it for free, or if you need rotation they'll do it for free, so when/if you're low, you can just go and they'll fill you up, it is free for the first year, then you pay something, not sure how much...

Thats good then, too bad I dont have a Costco around here, I dont think I do at least.
I wonder if BelleTire or Discount Tire does it?

The M3 has nitrogen in its tires.. One thing I did notice is that during the winter months where air pressure would normally drop cause of the change in temperature.. Its stayed pretty constant compared to the tires on everything else we had.. Mileage was its hard to judge since me & my dad both have heavy right foots..

The M3 has nitrogen in its tires.. One thing I did notice is that during the winter months where air pressure would normally drop cause of the change in temperature.. Its stayed pretty constant compared to the tires on everything else we had.. Mileage was its hard to judge since me & my dad both have heavy right foots..

Thats the one reason I've thought about nitrogen filled tires a few times. We get 30F-40F degree temp swings in Southern Az which is a big difference in tire pressure which will throw off the mileage..

I just wish I had something "cheap" that could fill the tires at home..

~Mark

thats where i get mine filled at too:thumbsup::thumbsup:been running nitro in my tires for years,i too cant tell a difference but i chase alot of people:D

Another added benefit of Nitrogen is the reduced weight, saving up to an ounce of rotating weight for better performance.

It's nice if you can get it for free, but $5-10 per tire for something that's on the level of water? Compressed air is 75-80% Nitrogen anyway, and if you fill your tires with water-free air, that's pretty close. Plus when your tires ARE low and you're hundreds of miles from a tire place that will fill them, and you haven't invested in a portable Nitrogen cylinder, you're stuck "contaminating" them with air, which means even when you eventually re-fill them with Nitrogen, you'll still have whatever moisture and other elements/chemicals are left in there.

Maybe when they make compressors with Nitrogen extractors.

Getting people to pay for one of the most common maintenance items that's usually free is genius marketing, though.

I think Nitrogen in tires is unecessary and is a big hype. Driving habits has far far more influence in MPG figures - especially considering the fact that the Explorer is a giant rectangular fridge weighing over 2 tons. My 50 mpg Civic's tires gets filled up with those the quarter operated compressors at gas stations maybe once a year, probably longer.

I agree with both sides, its not like the big hype theyre really making it, but it seems like the weight issue and keeping tires inflated longer could help, deff. not worth 5-15$ a tire though.

If it were a dollar or two id do it asap.

I'm not sold on nitrogen giving better mpg.. but I am sold on underinflated tires takign away mpg..

Soo.. if there is a 40F temp swing.. and the tires are right for the afternoon temps.. that means in the morning 35 miles commute to work the tires will be 4psi low.. and on a 35psi tire that means its more than 10% low which will affect gas mileage.

~Mark

I'm not sold on nitrogen giving better mpg.. but I am sold on underinflated tires takign away mpg..

Soo.. if there is a 40F temp swing.. and the tires are right for the afternoon temps.. that means in the morning 35 miles commute to work the tires will be 4psi low.. and on a 35psi tire that means its more than 10% low which will affect gas mileage.

~Mark
But the tire will eventually warm up in the morning once you hit the highway which will increase the tire pressure at the same rate that the temperature is rising (1 to 1 direct relationship in metric units). In addition, a tire will "grow" as it rotates faster and faster due to centrifugal force.

They don't seem to warm up as much.. If I were to keep changing the tire pressure I could keep the mileage up..

for example..
Say its monday.. and its a nice Winter day in AZ and its 50F.. I check my pressure and its right at 35psi.. where I want it.. I drive to work and clouds come in....

The next morning its 20F outside.. The tires are now 8% low.. Even after driving a bit, they are still 8% lower than they were the other day as they don't warm up to near the same temp they were the day before.. that is at least according to my infared temp sensor..

Hopefully, with nitrogen the pressure change won't be as drastic.. But.. its not worth the extra $5 per tire type thing.. and I don't go to discount tire/costo/walmart etc for tires anymore.. Heck, I'm about to start mounting my own tires..

~Mark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm gonna have to take your word for it cauz I have no way of measuring tire temp.:)

Back