returnless to Return style fuel conversion | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

returnless to Return style fuel conversion

I'll set the upper in place tomorrow and see if I can find something that makes more sense. Thanks for the suggestion Boomin.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did a quick cardboard cutout using what I think is Boomin's advice. Tim, thanks for the spacial awareness tip by dropping the upper on just to see what space is really there.

No gas lines are too close to the exhaust. I can still use some kind of heat shielding for any lines in the area.

Note:the red 90 degree ends will not be used, they just look way too out of place under the hood.

Thoughts everyone?

FPR Mount.jpg

FPR in location.jpg

I have my rear brake prop valve/gauge mounted right there with 1/4" thick L bracket on the master. Looks about the same size. It works, just be mindful of it when wrenching around it.

Looks like it will work there. You can always bend the tab it bolts to at a 90*. Then the gauge would be pointing towards the passenger side kinda like the pic before and possibly a little father from header heat.

Can do it on the firewall eh? I remember it being pretty tight with that upper on it

I'm going to run with this design.

Boomin, I can't really twist 90 degree's as there's a fuel inlet on both sides of the regulator.

I'm going to run with this design.

Boomin, I can't really twist 90 degree's as there's a fuel inlet on both sides of the regulator.

This is what I was trying to explain. Of course it's not to scale but good enough.

15523544539223450439592729734186.jpg

This is what I was trying to explain. Of course it's not to scale but good enough.

View attachment 168308

Hmm, master bathroom toilet, with a toilet paper dispenser, LOL.
I like it.

I'm not sure I want a pressure gauge in the engine bay constantly. Hooking up a gauge to the port would be good enough for most adjustments I believe.

There's still routing issues when I try that Boomin, and I would barely see the gauge as it ends up almost against the upper intake.
Don, your right, once fuel pressure is set its no issue unscrewing the gauge and putting the plug back in. I think I'd be more concerned with the -40 degree's than the engine heat on the gauge. You are right though. a precision gauge can get 'weathered' by heat and cold and loose accuracy. Once I'm tuned and comfortable with the pressure, I'll probably remove the gauge for safe keeping.

is there enough room to mount it on the top part of the booster? like flipping where you have it instead of the bottom side, or will the gauge hit the hood?

The top adjuster would hit the hood.

Here we go...
It actually took some playing around with different fittings to get around the coil pack, but not be in the way of the accessories on the right and to stay as far away from the header as possible.

The fuel feed T's at the back to both rails, and then the fuel rail exits go to both sides of the regulator. The bottom of the regulator is the fuel exit back to the tank. I think this will work.

Now I just need to get everything put together enough that I can check for leaks and set fuel pressure.

fuel lines1.jpg

fuel lines2.jpg

fuel lines3.jpg

I just had a thought (how safe it would have been is a ?) but I wonder how it would have fit if you could of hanged the regulator off the coil bracket, but I know you do want to relive this now it’s done

Yup, its done. Lines are cut to size, no easy turning back now.

I agree. Its either be by some heat, or spark. lol.

So far, I'm happy with the results. Of course, its not tested yet.

I'd think vibrations would be an more of an issue if it was mounted on the engine itself.

Done!
Bit of an issue with an AN connection that had a flat spot on the male side. Pretty bad leak. Fixed and holding pressure with no leaks at the desired pressure.
All the lines fit with no issues on other stuff like the coil pack so I'm good to go.

50psi, exactly like my tune will require.

Fuel pressure 50psi.jpg

testing for leaks without the upper on was a pretty dam good idea.
stupid a/n fitting!

Very good. Was the 50psi level required for the injector data match? I'm wondering how many injectors would be best to run that kind of pressure level for boosted applications.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can't look at whats best without knowing the application.
I'n my case, at 60-65 psi (Returnless fuel pressure), the injector data for my injectors was out of range for my ecm and the SCT pro racer package. I did find at 50psi that the data worked.
So, I needed to lower the pressure to 50.

I could have used 40 psi, but at 50 I do get a little more possible HP range before the 60lb injectors can't provide enough fuel anymore.
I'm sure for my goals I'll be in great shape with this setup.

Back