100% gasoline, amsoil full synthetic, and nitrogen filled tires. What is best? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

100% gasoline, amsoil full synthetic, and nitrogen filled tires. What is best?

alfredfife

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Please give me your opinions on using 100% pure 87 octane gas (no ethanol), amsoil full synthetic oil and filter (15000 mile changes), and nitrogen filled tires vs air in the 2011 Ex.

My apologies if these topics are covered elsewhere. Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Add me to the question list...

I have been doing research on oil and filters. There are some great deals out there due to economy.

What is the break-in period?

I am at 636 miles.

I know the book says 87 octane but I have used 92 or 93 octane for the life of my vechicles. Does it matter?

Oakwhite

I have been doing research on oil and filters. There are some great deals out there due to economy.

What is the break-in period?

I am at 636 miles.

I know the book says 87 octane but I have used 92 or 93 octane for the life of my vechicles. Does it matter?

Oakwhite

Extra octane that the motor is not designed for may not burn completely. Higher octane requires a stronger ignition system.

Good luck finding 100% gas with 0% ethanol. Everywhere around here has at least 10% ethanol and I've heard the EPA is considering going to 18%.

The nitrogen in tires- common air is about 74% nitrogen. All 100% nitrogen does is make the tire's air pressure more stable and slightly less corrosive. If you decide to run 100% nitrogen, don't pay for it. There are places that offer free nitrogen fillups. But until you have 2 valve stems in your wheel, you'll never really be able to come all that close to 100% nitrogen anyway. When the tire is mounted, it traps a bunch of normal air. You need that extra valve stem to bleed off the trapped air as you fill from the other valve stem.

Manuel for the 2011 Explorer says no gas with more than 10% ethanol should be used. There is 100 gas out there for off road vehiclles, boats, antique vehicles, etc. I agree about the nitrogen....not worth paying for.

If you can find 100% gas with no ethanol, go for it. Your MPG's will improve noticeably. Look at the ratings for E85 in real world testing vs. 10% ethanol blends even...

Try the gasbuddy forums or even sites like buyrealgas.com for help finding them.

Forget Nitrogen inflation, never bought into that.
Any octane above your rated octane is a waste of $$, they contain the same detergents, try to stick with top-tier gas.

Fun to play with the trip calculator on gasbuddy too...

Thanks Joe, I do have real gas available and will use it. Everyone seems to agree..Nitrogen is a waste I will stick with air. Should you stay at recommended psi or above as some here have advocated

You can run a little higher, but I think it would take a bit to realize any real savings. I'd probably just run the reccomended pressure, or maybe up to 2-3 psi above. More than that and it'll ride like a tank... :)

Hey Joe you can't go wrong with Amsoil. Simply the best.

JD

Please give me your opinions on using 100% pure 87 octane gas (no ethanol), amsoil full synthetic oil and filter (15000 mile changes), and nitrogen filled tires vs air in the 2011 Ex.

My apologies if these topics are covered elsewhere. Thank you.
Using anything higher than 87 octane is a waste of money. Gas without ethanol should increase your mileage figures. If you keep an eye on your tire pressures, no need for nitrogen. If you plan long intervals between oil changes than synthetic is what would be best. Otherwise if you are just a daily driver with normal oil change intervals, I personally would stick with Ford's recommended 5W-20 oils.
At my current rate it would take me 3 years to hit 15k miles.:D

Peter

....and my findings were the extra MPG didn't offset the cost of the non-ethanol. Go figure. Nitrogen is a joke. Full synthetic oil is good. In all honesty, I'm not going something like Amisol in an Explorer. Sorry, won't have it long enough to care or matter.

No, it requires higher compression.

no, higher compression requires higher octane. if you use higher than recommended octane, it won' hurt anything, but you're wasting your money. higher octane fuel has additives/stabilizers in it to prevent detonation, which occurs with higher compression.

If you are changing your oil every 2500 miles, skip the Amsoil or any synthetic. If you trust the manufacturer recommendations, made by the folks who really should know the engine better than anyone, then follow what the manufacturer recommends. My 2001 BMW X5 has just over 110,000 miles on it and the oil changes have been at approximately 12,000 mile intervals with Mobil 1. It costs a bit more up front but that is what they recommend- and it has worked.

If I had access to 100% gas, I would run it. No reason other than I hate the government requirement for methanol. I've never researched the cost benefit, if any, of running it over E90. I do know that I lose about 8% of my mileage per gallon when they switch to the "Winter Gas".

There's an app for that! :) There's an app called PureGas that will tell you where all the stations are that have pure (no ethanol) gas. You have to turn on the "location" on the app and it will show all the stations in like 100 miles of your location. I use it all the time when traveling.

http://pure-gas.org you can find stations that offer pure gas.

I agree on the AMSOIL. (Especially important if you have a ecoboost engine)
The lower noack volatility will help with fuel dilution.
I posted a oil analysis report in another thread today. The oil fell out of grade. So the dealership oil is a no go!

If you are interested in AMSOIL, I have some links in my signature.

Back