Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2016 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Under the Hood

Notices

Under the Hood Ford Explorer and Ranger, Engine, troubleshooting, modifications, performance and accessories.

Oil pan change - 1997 SOHC

Old 09-19-2009, 08:17 PM   #1
Paraphoe
Go big or go home
Willow Grove, PA

'97 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Oil pan change - 1997 SOHC

So my oil pan had been rusted through for a few years - I noticed it a while back, oil seeping right through the rust bubbles on the bottom of the pan, and I patched it with JB weld. This lasted 2 years before I had to re-patch this spring and decided I didn't want to deal with it anymore. I ordered a new (used) pan from ped5stang a few weeks back and swapped my old pan out. I referenced this thread from gijoecam (http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=158086) which was a big help and is pretty much exactly what I did. Below are pictures detailing all of my steps and hopefully this gives anyone considering it a pretty comprehensive how-to.

First, the pan. I got the used pan and it was in pretty good shape, but had a few rust spots and I wanted to make sure it was almost rust-proof. I began cleaning, stripping and sanding it down:

I sanded down to bare metal on a good portion of it, and sanded down the paint on the good parts so the new primer and paint would stick. Here's a partially-sanded photo:

After that was all done, I hit it with a few coats of engine enamel high-heat primer:

When that dried, I finally finished it off with 3-4 coats of high-heat engine enamel top coat - it came out looking great:

Once the pan was all ready, the real job began. Oil was drained and I began removal of the old pan. Here's the old pan...you can clearly see the JB Weld patch on the bottom and the general shitty condition it was in:

Removal was pretty simple. Started with the lower bolts. There are 10 bolts total - all 10mm. All you really need is a 10mm socket, ratchet, and a couple of extensions to make it easier. I never sprayed my bolts with any penetrating oil or prep and they came out very easily - I guess a function of being oily and never rusting. I left the middle one in on the end to hold the pan in place until I was ready to drop it.

The top 3 bolts are a little harder to get to, but with nimble hands and a little patience you can get 'em.

Once all the bolts were out, the pan held in place (probably because it hadn't been touched since it was socked down in the factory 13 years ago) and I needed to give it a little tug to pop it free. It pops off and slides right out.

I bought a new gasket at Pepboys, and popped it right on (4 rubber nubs push through holes on the pan).

The new pan goes on as easy as the old one comes off - slide in, bolt on and you're done:

...and that's it. It's an easy job for the 97 SOHC. Hope this helps anyone considering a swap.

Truck - Mug - Bling

"These good times will never last, keep your hand on the wheel and your foot on the gas."
Paraphoe is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 09-19-2009, 08:38 PM   #2
CDW6212R
Elite Explorer
Knoxville, TN

98 Mountaineer A4WD

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Good work, now do mine.

Be American, Buy American (Manufacturer)
CDW6212R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 09:28 PM   #3
2000StreetRod
Greenville, SC

2000 Sport SOHC 2WD

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Gasket remains?

Thanks for the post with the photos. I was just under my pan this morning and checking it out. Did the old gasket come off clean or was their remains on the upper aluminum casting that reinforces the block? Did you use any kind of gasket sealer with the new gasket?
2000StreetRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 09:38 PM   #4
Paraphoe
Go big or go home
Willow Grove, PA

'97 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
No problem - the old gasket came off clean. There was just a little bit of oil buildup/dirt that I wiped down before putting the new one on. I didn't use any sealer on the new one.

Truck - Mug - Bling

"These good times will never last, keep your hand on the wheel and your foot on the gas."
Paraphoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 06:54 AM   #5
2000StreetRod
Greenville, SC

2000 Sport SOHC 2WD

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
No rust

My oil pan is still in good condition including the paint. From the tires I see in your photo and the location of the rust on your pan I suspect that off-roading signifcantly contributed to the deterioration of your pan. The pan is in a somewhat vulnerable position to damage. There are no scrapes anywhere on the underside of my Sport so I doubt it has been been off-road much if at all. Your painting skills are admirable!
2000StreetRod is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page