Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 2002 - 2005 Explorer Mountaineer 3rd Generation > Modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers

Notices

Modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers Questions related to modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers and Mountaineers. For Sport Trac and Sport models use the 1995-2001 forum. Aftermarket accessories and modifications. Bullbar, running boards, floor mats, cargo mat, DVD headrest, wheels, tires, stereo upgrade, headlights, mud flaps, lift kits, engine swap, transmission swap.

How do I remove A pillars?

Old 03-18-2010, 04:03 PM   #1
JarvisB
MI
2003 ford explorer

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
How do I remove A pillars?

I am working on finding a place to install my tweeters. I want to remove A pillars but I wanted to see if there is a certain way to remove it rather than pulling it apart. I dont want to break it.

BTW, will I be able to flush mount a tweeter in the A pillar? the tweeter mounting depth is hair less than an inch. I will have a picture up soon.

Hope you guys can give me an answer quickly as I am working on it right now, but I will just work on the amplifier section and wirings until I get an answer about the A pilars.

Thanks in advance
JarvisB is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 03-18-2010, 04:06 PM   #2
JarvisB
MI
2003 ford explorer

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Old 03-18-2010, 06:11 PM   #3
JarvisB
MI
2003 ford explorer

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
any1?
Old 03-18-2010, 10:51 PM   #4
Limited02
Elite Explorer
Gardner, KS

'02 Limited V8

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Seems like I am stalking you in your threads I would try the audio forum for better luck.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:48 AM   #5
JarvisB
MI
2003 ford explorer

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
naw man, no stalking. this is a forum, we r free to follow one other IMO

BTW I m sure someone around here had at least removed the a pillar once before?? lol

I might attempt it myself then
Old 03-19-2010, 01:59 AM   #6
Joe Dirt
Elite Explorer

07 Camry

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
pull the left end off first (above and next to your head as you sit in the truck) as there is a clip there. Pull straight out. Then pull the a pillar by the windshield off toward you and down. There are 2 clips there. You hay or may not have a clip at the bottom. There should be one, but lots of Ex's lose the metal clip.

Leave the gold clips on the metal of the a pillar, and line up the plastic tabs on the trim and push them back on.

I'm probably overcomplicating it, but just pull perpendicular to the trim it is attached to. The tabs on the a-pillar by the window like to snap off if you pull sideways at all.

I just read this- am I an engineer? Judas Priest that was a pile of overcomplicated words to pull off a piece of plastic! Unreal!

Old 03-19-2010, 10:31 AM   #7
JarvisB
MI
2003 ford explorer

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
thanks I guess I ll just give it a good tug then. I was afraid to just pull it lol.

I know how to remove B pillar plastics no problem, I was asking about A pillars.

BTW do I have any room to put tweeters into the a pillars?

Thanks for your help!
Old 03-23-2010, 09:14 PM   #8
Exp03Limited
Austin TX
2003 Limited AWD

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Your tweeter mounting depth looks like a bit over 3/4in. I have some Focal TN47 tweeters in my A pillars and they are tight and bulge the pillar out by the windshield just a bit (not really noticeable unless looking for it). My Focals are 17.3cm or .68in depth. So you may be able to get them to fit.
Exp03Limited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:20 PM   #9
Joe Dirt
Elite Explorer

07 Camry

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
It'll be close Jarvis, there isn't a lot of room behind there...

Old 03-24-2010, 10:04 AM   #10
JarvisB
MI
2003 ford explorer

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exp03Limited View Post
Your tweeter mounting depth looks like a bit over 3/4in. I have some Focal TN47 tweeters in my A pillars and they are tight and bulge the pillar out by the windshield just a bit (not really noticeable unless looking for it). My Focals are 17.3cm or .68in depth. So you may be able to get them to fit.
thanks for the info! got any pics of it?

I have yet pulled the A pillars off yet but I did give the drivers side pillar a try and wow it is not coming off with some of my strength, you guys sure that I only need to pull it outward? I just realy dont want to break it ha.

Like I said, I would love a pic of your pillars with tweeters mounted, thanks
Old 03-24-2010, 06:24 PM   #11
Exp03Limited
Austin TX
2003 Limited AWD

Vehicle Specs

Here's some pictures of the passenger side A pillar. Sorry for the quailty, result of bad weather + camera phone.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:27 AM   #12
JarvisB
MI
2003 ford explorer

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
man that looks great! exactly what I am going for on mine.

so can you give me some more input on how did you get those A-pillars out?

I am hoping to get my A pillars out this weekend and cut them up and finally mount the tweeters.

If my tweeters turn out to be tad bit too deep, I am thinking about buying some bondo or something to make a small "hill", sand it down to how I want it to look, and then paint it so the tweeters should fit.

The tweeters I have are tiny! just that the housings are bulky, I might have to find a way to trim down the housings and still make it functional. Thanks again
Old 03-25-2010, 07:33 PM   #13
Josh_C
NoVA
2004 Explorer Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

If your a pillar is like the picture above, simply remove the small caps. Undo the bolts holding the handle on, take out the handle. Then its simply pulling it out. I start at the top and work my way down, seems to be the easiest way.
Josh_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:53 AM   #14
Exp03Limited
Austin TX
2003 Limited AWD

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarvisB View Post
so can you give me some more input on how did you get those A-pillars out?
Just pull back the weather strip. Then on pass side pull those two plastic plugs right out. Then remove the 'grab handle' bolts but be careful not to drop them down the pillar and behind the dash. Then just pull the top of the pillar first and then pull the whole pillar up and out. Reverse when replacing starting with sliding the bottom of the pillar in place first.

My post may be a bit late. Did you get this done already? If so how'd it go?
Old 04-06-2010, 07:24 PM   #15
jrfarve
Tacoma, WA
02 Ford Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

hope it all turned out good.. i got 4 tweets in my a pillars.. i tried to go with just the pioneer 4 ways in the doors.. and the tweeters made such a difference on the highs!!
jrfarve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:36 PM   #16
Limited02
Elite Explorer
Gardner, KS

'02 Limited V8

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrfarve View Post
hope it all turned out good.. i got 4 tweets in my a pillars.. i tried to go with just the pioneer 4 ways in the doors.. and the tweeters made such a difference on the highs!!
4 tweeters per side? If so, HOLY SMACK!!! I'll tell you one thing, being deaf kinda sucks

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page