Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia Airport, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 V6 Silver XLT
:D
Hey Fella's

This thread is a walk through write up on how to complete the Stage 2 Intake for us ( 04-05 ) 4.0L members with limited intake options. so far I have noticed much better roar under the hood and exhaust, and the butt dyno reflects that you will notice a little more " TQ " down low, but once you romp the throttle, you really feel your X pull hard above 3,000 RPM's :thumbsup:. also i have noticed that im getting now an additional 20-25 miles per tank, over the factory intake.

Stage 1 ( Airbox Mod ) = search for the thread title'd " 3rd gen air box mod " this is the starting point of the intake...

once you have completed the " Stage 1 " airbox mod, here is the list of SPECTRE parts need to complete your own Stage 2 intake...

1. # 8776 - 3'' coupler

2. # 8698 - 3'' 90 degree elbow

3. # 8728 - 3'' 22 degree elbow

4. # 9713 - vaccum fitting's

5. # 9541 - 3.5'' to 3'' reducer coupler

6. 1/2'' hose clamp - autozone / pepboys etc etc.

****** TOOLS REQUIRED ******

1. Allen Key Set ( small - forget the exact size )
2. Flat Head Screwdriver
3. Drill w/ Bits - 3/4 and 7/8

****** STEPS ******

1. take a flat head screw driver and loosen the intake hose clamps on both ends. unclip the factory vaccum hose, and remove the connector fitting. then move the factory intake hose out of the way.

2. remove the top half of the airbox leaving the MAFS connected, you just need to move the box out of the way a little bit to work.

3.take your 3'' coupler and loosen both clamps enough so they are loose, and put the coupler on the throttle body.

4.take the 90 degree elbow, and your 22 degree elbow. line them up to match the MAFS and TB. then secure the 2 pieces together, and make sure the small black seal is in place to get a good seal.

5. take your vaccum fitting kit, and use the 14mm fitting put that in the vaccum line, then secure with a 1/2'' hose clamp...

6. take your drill bit with the 3/4'' drill bit and drill a hole in the 22 degree elbow ( look at pics for reference where to place the vaccum hole ). you may have to drill the hole slightly bigger with the 7/8 bit. then place the 14mm fitting in the hole. ( grooves in the fitting will help place the fitting, but requires a little bit of work getting it in. )

7. once the fitting is the piping, secure the new intake pipe into the 3'' TB coupler, but do not tighten all the way just yet.

8. secure the top half of the airbox to its normal position.

9.take your 3.5'' reducer, and secure the 3'' side to the intake pipe. then the 3.5'' side to the airbox.

10. once the new intake piping looks good and lined up. you can then tighten all the coupler clamps nice and snug.

11. plug your vaccum line into the fitting on the intake tubing, and make sure its secured also.

12. once everything is lined up / tight and secured. disconnect the battery for a minute, then reconnect.

13. start up your X, and let it idle for about 5-10 minutes. then drive around for a few minutes " be easy on the gas " calm relaxed driving...

14. turn the X off, and just double check your couplers, and fitting.

15. get back in the X, and experience the awesome sound / performance difference in your X :D

once complete the intake should look like so...

intake2.jpg

ENJOY FELLA'S !!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

alright!!!!! haha

damn man, another project? this is getting addictive

Caldwell, you got this how to posted! Great write-up to! Can't wait to see how your stage 3 intake will turn out.

Nate,

i have a good bit of down time this week... i could do some under hood fooling around...

i this may also be applicable to the 4th gen members as well ? they have the same set up i believe

this may also be applicable to the 4th gen members as well ? they have the same set up i believe
Here's a 4th gen V6 engine bay....The coolant bay being moved up front is the only noticable thing different.
d5c92bd80a0a0065002f1d7ab6f89161.jpg

so now i have a question ?

i cleaned, and re-oiled my air filter the other day. now my " SERVICE ENGINE SOON " light came on. could oil from the filter have gotten on the MAFS and cause the foul ? ive noticed a good MPG loss, and im down to like 10 MPG...

what cleaning substance is used to clean the MAFS ?

i have read in previous threads about excess oil on filters affecting mafs not sure what to clean with hope you get it sorted mate

Yeah sounds like you got heavy handed on the oil.

Let me post up a pic of what I used to clean my MAF sensor. I bought it at walmart
cleaner.jpg

This stuff works great. I used it on my MAF sensor and no residue and its all clean now :)

so now i have a question ?

i cleaned, and re-oiled my air filter the other day. now my " SERVICE ENGINE SOON " light came on. could oil from the filter have gotten on the MAFS and cause the foul ? ive noticed a good MPG loss, and im down to like 10 MPG...

what cleaning substance is used to clean the MAFS ?

That's probable. They have a MAFS cleaner, specifically for cleaning the MAFS, local autozone/pepboys/oreillys etc will have it. and a nice computer reset should work for ya. good luck and nice intake! :thumbsup:
edit: although brake cleaner and q-tip always works too, sometimes better, lol.

awesome, thanks fella's !

Nate, I think i may just stay with the current set up I have...

I know i was going to do the true intake, but i really dont want to mess with the MAFS anymore than i have to... Im very happy with the gains i have gotten from the Intake :D

I have an Untouched " MAFS HOUSING " by SPECTRE if anyone is interested in buying it, to make a true cone filter intake...

PM me

PMing you....

edit: Here's what joe dirt uses for his MAF sensor and other electronics...
If joe dirt uses it, then it must be a good product.
I've used both the CRC MAF cleaner, and the Electric Parts Cleaner (below) and I've not had issue with either. Both are non-residue cleaners.

IMG_0529.jpg

Only thing I hate about my new intake is the fact that I cant hit the mud holes anymore. :( That's where the stage 2 has its advantages...

yes its is lol

i can get the advantages of having and open intake, but if i wanted to go play in mud, all i hve to do it " duct tape " the bottom of the airbox, and im set lol

I'll figure something out. I thought about since I cut my MAF housing off if I can modify the box to fit my intake in there to provide a heat shield and "dirt/mud shield"

very possible :thumbsup:

Quick fix for an open filter in the mud would be throw a pre filter on your cone filter. After your done playing just remove the prefilter, clean it and reinstall.

I put one I'm my diesel and my filter is spotless even after a few mud runs

smart!!!

Macknos...
To make sure I'm on the same page as you, this is what you're talking about?
RF-1048DR.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Found out that my MAFS was just fine... my mechanic ran the code, and came back that my fuel pump sensor fouled. Happened on my 03 also...

also found out what possibly caused my drop in mpg... didnt even cross my mind, but duh ! its getting colder out now and i believe the winter gas additives may just be affecting mpg.

christmas tuner hopefully :D

Back