" Stage 2 " Intake 04-05 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

" Stage 2 " Intake 04-05

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

im gonna say NO, only cause the specific bend the intake tubing makes...

the sprectre parts I listed line up exactly...

ok cool, i'll have to go down to the local auto parts shop. thanks for looking

just a warning now, so you dont get frustrated with the install...

the hardest part was when you drill the hole for the vaccum fitting. your really gonna have to work the fitting into the hole to ensure that you get a good seal with no leaks...

other than that i think your gonna be very happy with the end result.

also getting your X tuned will off the best gains, because since your X is going to be taking in more air, your A/F ratio will be off and running rich. I am currently saving money to get my X tuned to get the best overall performance / MPG

I got in my KKM last week and my Stage II parts came in today, so I got home from work and started working on my truck :)

After seeing how the 90 degree elbow and 22 degree elbow tubes fit together, I decided to re-use the stock tube instead. Reason being, there isn't much holding those two tubes together but a little narrow bracket....and since the KKM setup isn't as stable as the factory airbox (it lets the intake tube wiggle up and down a bit), the little bit of play there might cause that bracket to come loose and the two tubes to separate under vibration. I'm worried about having that happen on the highway or trail and losing the bracket that connects them together....you could get stranded and that would suck big time.

What I might do is get another blue coupler piece with big hose clamps like the one that attaches the 90 degree elbow to the throttle body. That would be a lot more secure.

I might also get a larger rubber grommet and drill a bigger hole for the pcv hose fitting that will allow me to use the stock fitting...the vacuum fittings I got from spectre looked a bit small to me.

So, that's where I'm at so far. I took her for a drive around the block with the KKM/stock intake tube and doesn't sound too whistle-ey but there IS a noticeable improvement in throttle response. I'll be interested to see if I get any mileage improvements.

i hear what your saying about the intake piping moving around with the open filter element... that was one of the deciding factors for me leaving the my airbox...

also trying running the set up I have as a trial, so that way you can get aleast get a feel with running the better flowing pipe, over just the open filter and factory tubing...

i hear what your saying about the intake piping moving around with the open filter element... that was one of the deciding factors for me leaving the my airbox...

also trying running the set up I have as a trial, so that way you can get aleast get a feel with running the better flowing pipe, over just the open filter and factory tubing...

Yeah, I guess I was just reluctant about cutting up/drilling my airbox just in case I wanted to go back to stock....otherwise I probably would have just followed your lead.

There is a bracket for the KKM that keeps it from wiggling too much...but it still has more wiggle than the airbox setup.

I will probably try out the stage II/stock airbox setup in the next few weeks for comparison...then see what I can do to make it all work with the KKM.

heres a small option you can do if you try running my set up, and it doesnt require drilling holes in your airbox...

just remove the intake silencer, it will give you a good idea of the set up im running... also its very easy to re-install

Lynchy / Ronin

can you post some pics of your current intake set ups ?

Try to get some up Mate.:thumbsup:

Anyone want to see if we can get this thread stickied?

Sounds like a plan.

i dont see why it couldnt be ?

what / who has to be done / talked to about possibly making this and the ( airbox mod ) stickies ?

Our moderater? I'm not sure who makes the executive decision.

Caldwell, you'll need to talk to a moderator, or Rick. Send either of them a PM with a reason why this thread should be a sticky and include the link to the thread
Posted via Mobile Device

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lynchy / Ronin

can you post some pics of your current intake set ups ?

Caldwell, here's a pic of my setup. KKM with an outerwear filter for good measure.

CIMG0008-2.jpg

Back