CALDWELL

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia Airport, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 V6 Silver XLT
Gentlemen,

Im sure im not the 1st person to think about this, but i was tossing the idea around in my head, and wanted to read what other people think, and if it is possible.

i was thinking, how does KKM produce there " intake " ??? are they using an 03' MAF that can be unbolted from the factory 03' airbox and attached to a cone filter. Can an 03' MAF even be used in an application like this ???????? by going to a junkyard and a autozone, and producing the same thing as the KKM product ?

could the 03 MAF work in place of the MAF from an 04-05 by using the same electrical connection ?????

if so, i looked at the factory 05 Intake, compared to my 03 K&N intake... the only main differences i see is, on the right side of the tubing of the 03 intake... theres a vaccum line that runs on the right side of the tube. on an 05 the same vaccum line connects on the top of the tube... is there any other lines attached to the intake that i just dont see from pictures ????

i think that this could be done with a little bit of creativity, by just either moving the vaccum line a little, or by taking some rubber hose and simply extend the line ? now i if created a longer line, would that affect the vaccum itself ?

tommorrow im going to call my body shop to see what junk yard my explorer was taken to, and see if i can take out the intake, and maybe cutoff the exhaust piping...

any thoughts ?? just wanted to throw this out there...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

anyone with a 57 series K&N FIPK INTAKE or KKM INTAKE of there...

2003 V6 4.0 EXPLORER...

please post a pic or pics of the intake ( cone / maf / tubing all the way to the TB )... preferably 360 degree views...

i really think i can make an 03 K&N intake work on and 04-05, with a little bit of finness lol

i don't know what the 05 intake looks like but i'm sure it wouldn't be hard to mod your own intake.

the only major differences i can see are...

1. 04-05 MAF / AIR BOX are one piece...

2. slight repositioning of the vaccum line on the intake after the MAF...

and my thought is that KKM must be using a 2003 MAF housing to make an " adapter " and i may be wrong so please correct me if i am...

i really think it is possible to make work...

i guess the only reason K&N isnt making the intake for 04-05 is cause of the MAF / AIR BOX being one piece...

im really excited to see if this project could work :D

i would have to look at the air box but i would say cut the air box and put 4 holes in the plastic so you can mount the addaptor that they sell at any out place to use a round filter

i was thinking, how does KKM produce there " intake " ??? are they using an 03' MAF that can be unbolted from the factory 03' airbox and attached to a cone filter. Can an 03' MAF even be used in an application like this ???????? by going to a junkyard and a autozone, and producing the same thing as the KKM product ?

Ummm, KKM doesn't include a MAF with their intake systems, you use your existing one. They include the filter, billet spacer, clamps, and a mount that attaches to your alternator.

You can see pics of the KKM installed on my 03 4.0 in my siganture page either on my CarDomain page or my Before & After page here.

ok so then the MAF unbolts from the air box so you can buy the adaptor you need for 20 bucks. thats what i did for my mountaineer

POTROAST - your set up is different then the 04-05 model years...

on the 03's the maf and air box bolt together... 2 seperate piece's...

the 04-05 model, the airbox and maf are combined into 1 piece...

just if anyone is interested.... I have a 04 V8 Mounty. I made a custom intake for it by using a short ram intake for a 94-97 accord. I took my whole stock airbox and tube out, then held intake pipe in place . U can decide where u want top cut tube back with consideration of how big ur air filter is and length of couplings. The tube is 3inch od. so a coupling from tube to throttle body is needed. 3 inch to 3 inch. i mounted the maf sensor with a maf flange welded on. The air filter is from steeda for a 05 cobra, 4inch to 3 inch coupling. lastly a universal round heatshield that mounts at bottom of air filter.

maf flange- vmptuning.com
apc intake tube-advanceauto parts
air filter-steeda.com
couplings and clamps-boostcontroller.com

Back