How to: - 1.5" body lift for less than $50 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Prefix for threads which are instructional.

Ronin8002

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 XLT Ironman
A few people have been asking me about where to get a 1.5" body lift. I PMd another member this information but I figured other people could benefit too. Thanks to JSHaag for being the first one to show that this one works: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2479410&postcount=356

When i did the 1.5" body lift, the lift blocks came out the PA-883 kit. It's not necessary to buy that kit to do a 1.5" body lift though, since you really don't need the brackets and steering shaft extension.

It's pretty simple, really, and should cost you around 50 bucks at most.

You'll need 5, 3" tall by 3" wide body lift blocks, available here:

http://www.amazon.com/Zone-Offroad-Bulk-Tall-Block/dp/B0021IAOQE

Once you get those, you'll need to take a band saw or a miter saw and cut them in half. There's a nice casting line at the halfway point on the plastic blocks you can use as a guide. If you don't have access to one of those power saws you could also put the blocks in a vise and use a hacksaw or something.

Anyway when you cut those blocks in half, you now have 10 1.5" blocks, which is the number you need.

Now for the bolts. There are 5 pairs of bolts/mounts; I'm going to call them by a letter to make it easier to explain.

A= the pair of mounts at the very front of the truck
B= the pair of mounts in the foot area of the driver and front passenger seats
C= the pair of mounts behind the front two seats
D= the pair of mounts just underneath the rear seats
E= the pair of mounts at the very back of the truck under the liftgate

Your factory body mount bolts are for the most part too short to use once the lift blocks are in place. They are all different lengths so some of the longer ones will be re-used for different places in the truck. Some you will have to buy, however. I used www.boltdepot.com since they were hard to find at any local hardware store. If you don't use Bolt Depot make sure to use Grade 8 bolts for the best strength. Here's what you can re-use and what you need to order:

A= You'll need to order 2 replacements, but save the old ones. The new size is 12mm x 1.75 x 120mm. Bolt depot part number is 6135. If you don't use Bolt Depot make sure to get ones that are threaded for the whole length (this is for the front only, the rest can just have the end threaded).

B= You'll need to order 2 replacements, but save the old ones. The new size is 12mm x 1.75 x 150mm. Bolt depot part number is 6274.

C= You can re-use the old "A" bolts you took from the very front here.

D= You can re-use the old "B" bolts you took from the front seat foot area here.

E= You'll need to order 2 replacements. You don't need to save the old ones unless you want them later to go back to stock if you have to. The size is 12mm x 1.75 x 130mm.

So again, you're re-using 4 bolts and buying 6.

That's all you need for parts. It'll be about 15 bucks plus shipping for the bolts and about 19 bucks plus shipping for the lift blocks.

The installation steps are otherwise very similar as the 3" body lift, which is in 2 parts in these two threads:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2395137&postcount=342

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2395138&postcount=343

With the following exceptions:

-No steering extension or bumper brackets are needed.

-For the rear bumper cover, the metal part of the bumper will touch the bumper once the lift is in, so you need to trim some of the plastic on the underside of the bumper to allow the metal part to clear

-For the fan shroud, the lower fan shroud will need to be trimmed a bit (about an inch or so) on the inside curve so the fan doesn't rub on it.

One more thing, make sure you disconnect the steering shaft and lower fan shroud before you jack the body up to insert the lift blocks. Otherwise you might damage your steering system or your fan.

Here are a few pics of my truck with 265/75/16 tires and when it had just the 1.5" lift installed:

IMG_4742.png

CIMG0069-1.png

CIMG0068-1.png

For those people who needed to know the bolt lengths (if they didn't want to re-use some of their factory bolts), here are ALL the bolt lengths needed to complete the lift (thanks Lynchy):

A- 120 mm
B- 150 mm
C- 110 mm
D- 120 mm
E- 130 mm

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Aweome and simple writeup ... Definately needs to be stickied

Excellent info mate. Definitely going to help anyone contemplating the 1.5" body lift. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Oh wow, 1.5" of lift for $34; what a steal!

Already ordered it all, thanks!

Just ordered everything. Total was $47.90 Great writeup Ronin. Now I got another project over vacation. (gotta paint some pillars and bumpers)
Thanks again Ronin. I really didn't wanna spend to much on a simple lift.

I messed up my steering when i installed a 3inch bl because i did not disconnect the steering shaft (forgot).... I returned the explorer to stock the next week and had a buddys shop fix it..... Im wondering if i could do this lift and hope nothing was tweaked when lifted.....

Will lifting the X (body and suspension) make it easier to put locker's in? I'm just trying to work out what to do first and if one makes it easier for the bloke doing it and save on abit of labour. What order should I get these done: body lift, susp/spacer lift, locker?

Will lifting the X (body and suspension) make it easier to put locker's in? I'm just trying to work out what to do first and if one makes it easier for the bloke doing it and save on abit of labour. What order should I get these done: body lift, susp/spacer lift, locker?

I don't think the body lift will do anything much to help you pull the rear diff. It will help with the spacer lift though...makes it easier to get to the top of the strut mounts.

the order you have it listed in is how I did it and it worked out fine.

Thank's mate, appreciate it!!!

glad to see the one and a half getting popular, dont forget who is the pioneer of this lift and the first to try it, oh wait that would be me. lol if anyone has any questions let me know..

I did it! I did it!

Just finished doing the 1.5" lift. Took about 8 hours w/ help from my cousin and my dads supervision (not like he was needed or anything).

Looks good, gonna post some pics when I get a chance. Did not have to cut any bumpers. Stretched the back one on there working from one side to the other. Fan is a lil bit louder, but not much. Front mounts were PITA. That was expected.

I am getting some vibration from the gas pedal and I don't know why. Any ideas? Brake pedal does not vibrate. Steering did shudder when moving far left to far right when stopped, right after completion. I brought it home and steering did not do it anymore. I'll try it again tomorrow to make sure.

Everything else is great on the vehicle. Just that damn pedal vibration. Maybe i stretched something out or what not.

Thanks for the write up Ronin and the idea JS.

So I parked next to an XLT while at home depot buying paint for my pillars the other day. I wanted to do a side by side comparison of the 1.5" lift next to stock. Here's a couple pics.

1303124470-picsay.jpg

1303124326-picsay.jpg

1303125870-picsay.jpg

The difference isn't huge by any means. But I like it.

Great comparison shot's there mate! Really gives a good perspective.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ronin, quick question about the lift. Im going to order my blocks for the lift this week and hope to be doing the install with my dad here in the next few weeks. I read the two links at the bottom of the page that you attached, i am having trouble understanding why you have to mount the back bumper upside down after you are done with lift. What is the reasoning behind that?

Back