• Register Today It's free!

Mounting / Wiring Radar Detector

teh bishop

Reaction score
City, State
The Alamo City
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited
I've got a Valentine 1 (from my '03 Cobra days) with the remote display that I want to mount in my new Ex. It's gotta be somewhere that I can remove it each time I get out so as not to invite the thievery, which is not the big issue - it seems like there isn't any good place to plug into power for it, and looks like I'm going to have to direct wire and tap into power somewhere? Has anyone else mounted a radar detector and/or have pics for ideas?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why not just follow the speed limit? Maybe 5 MPH over. How much time are you really going to save? And at what cost?

http://www.blendmount.com/

Hands down, the best option out there! Buy the power cord and it plugs into the back of the auto dimming mirror.

I have been running this setup for four years and no issues! Its easy it unplug and remove the detector if you want and I only did that when I went downtown Detroit. 99% of the time I left it and no problems with theft but I guess that's only luck!

The sunglass holder/overhead lamp module easily pulls out of the ceiling and there is power in there. Very easy to access, and very easy to run a line out the front edge towards the mirror.

Thanks guys! As soon as I get this mounted I'm going to be hitting 108mph every chance I get, causing untold accidents and doom! (just kidding, tons of studies have shown that speed is not the determining factor for the majority of accidents on highways). :salute:

Here's where I mounted mine. I tapped a line in the map lights.

homelink1.jpg

Here's where I mounted mine. I tapped a line in the map lights.

homelink1.jpg

That looks great. Did you use their power cord for tapping or did you make your own?

Thanks guys! As soon as I get this mounted I'm going to be hitting 108mph every chance I get, causing untold accidents and doom! (just kidding, tons of studies have shown that speed is not the determining factor for the majority of accidents on highways). :salute:

I've read that makeup will actually apply more evenly at speeds over 85 mph. And cell phone reception improves at speeds over 95. At 108, you'll be able to text like a stenographer, download at 10MB/s, and your wife will have perfectly applied makeup.

That looks great. Did you use their power cord for tapping or did you make your own?

I used an extra power cord I had lying around.

lolol for every study there is a counter study.
Speed Kills - The faster the speed of a vehicle, the greater the risk of an accident. The forces experienced by the human body in a collision increase exponentially as the speed increases. Smart Motorist recommends that drivers observe our 3 second rule in everyday traffic, no matter what your speed. Most people agree that going 100 mph is foolhardy and will lead to disaster. The problem is that exceeding the speed limit by only 5 mph in the wrong place can be just as dangerous. Traffic engineers and local governments have determined the maximum speeds allowable for safe travel on the nation's roadways. Speeding is a deliberate and calculated behavior where the driver knows the risk but ignores the danger. Fully 90% of all licensed drivers speed at some point in their driving career; 75% admit to committing this offense regularly.

Consider this example: a pedestrian walks out in front of a car. If the car is traveling at just 30 mph, and the driver brakes when the pedestrian is 45 feet away, there will be enough space in which to stop without hitting the pedestrian. Increase the vehicle speed by just 5 mph and the situation changes dramatically. At 35 mph, with the pedestrian 45 feet away and the driver braking at the same point, the car will be traveling at 18 mph when it hits the pedestrian. An impact at 18 mph can seriously injure or even kill the pedestrian.

lolol for every study there is a counter study.
Speed Kills - The faster the speed of a vehicle, the greater the risk of an accident. The forces experienced by the human body in a collision increase exponentially as the speed increases. Smart Motorist recommends that drivers observe our 3 second rule in everyday traffic, no matter what your speed. Most people agree that going 100 mph is foolhardy and will lead to disaster. The problem is that exceeding the speed limit by only 5 mph in the wrong place can be just as dangerous. Traffic engineers and local governments have determined the maximum speeds allowable for safe travel on the nation's roadways. Speeding is a deliberate and calculated behavior where the driver knows the risk but ignores the danger. Fully 90% of all licensed drivers speed at some point in their driving career; 75% admit to committing this offense regularly.

Consider this example: a pedestrian walks out in front of a car. If the car is traveling at just 30 mph, and the driver brakes when the pedestrian is 45 feet away, there will be enough space in which to stop without hitting the pedestrian. Increase the vehicle speed by just 5 mph and the situation changes dramatically. At 35 mph, with the pedestrian 45 feet away and the driver braking at the same point, the car will be traveling at 18 mph when it hits the pedestrian. An impact at 18 mph can seriously injure or even kill the pedestrian.

I only (generally) speed (and use a radar detector) where speeds are artificially lowered for traffic ticket revenue ie parts of a highway that are 'close to residential homes' so the speed drops for a mile or two from 65 to 45. Out in AZ there's a place on the 17 in central Phx where the speed does that and PD sits right there and nabs folks. So .... I'd say that there are a lot of places where the actual speed limit is not set for safety, but rather for another reason. YMMV but 0 speed tickets since I got one when I was 16 FTW.

Silly question here... Aren't speed detectors illegal? If you get pulled over with one do you tnink you are more apt to get a heftier fine?

Silly question here... Aren't speed detectors illegal? If you get pulled over with one do you tnink you are more apt to get a heftier fine?

Only in a couple places around the US that I know of.

theyre only illegal in virginia , dc and on commercial vehicles...thats what i remember when i read up on it...when i drove through virginia once it said welcome to the state of virginia you see a sign that says radar detectors are illegal...everywhere else they cant do anything if they see it...

Why would you tap into a power wire when you can buy the power lead that just plugs into the auto dimming mirror? One end goes to the detector like normal and the other ends just push into the auto dimming mirror. No splicing or tapping involved.

Now if you don't have an auto dimming mirror, then I understand.

most states have laws for stuff attached to the windshield which voids most radar detectors. even standalone gps.

if enforced or not, thats something else, but most states dont allow anything to be attached to the windshield.

You can find out everything you want to know about laws on radar detectors and jammers (they are two different things) on this site:
http://www.guysoflidar.com/

most states have laws for stuff attached to the windshield which voids most radar detectors. even standalone gps.

if enforced or not, thats something else, but most states dont allow anything to be attached to the windshield.

The link I posted to the Blendmount, mounts the detector to the mirror, not the windshield. Just pointing that out as others read through this thread.

Why would you tap into a power wire when you can buy the power lead that just plugs into the auto dimming mirror? One end goes to the detector like normal and the other ends just push into the auto dimming mirror. No splicing or tapping involved.

Now if you don't have an auto dimming mirror, then I understand.

I didn't buy the wire because I didn't feel like spending $30 on a piece of cable. I already have everything I need and it only took me about 20 minutes.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back