Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2016 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations"® > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 2006 - 2010 Explorer Mountaineer 4th Generation > Modified 2006 - 2010 Explorers

Notices

Modified 2006 - 2010 Explorers Modified 2006 - 2010 Ford Explorer Forum. Aftermarket accessories and modifications. Bullbar, running boards, floor mats, cargo mat, DVD headrest, wheels, tires, stereo upgrade, headlights, mud flaps, lift kits, engine swap, transmission swap.

How To: Upgrade and Beef-up 5R55W/S Transmissions

Old 05-30-2011, 05:57 PM   #1
The Electrician
Makkah
2008 XLT 4WD V6

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Thumbs up How To: Upgrade and Beef-up 5R55W/S Transmissions

After the transmission quit on me after bad abuse, I made a complete overhaul using TCI Ultimate Master Racing Overhaul Kit #579005 and componants in order to make the transmission more capable to handle abuse (That what I thought)

Unfortunately the illusion did not last for long. Because after only 8 months and 25K Mile, the transmission quit on me again (this time I lost the auto function + reverse) with only P1700 code, and when I dropped the transmission for a complete inspection, I found that I have damaged overdrive ring gear bearing and overdrive one way clutches (rotate free-wheal in both direction). Also I found that all clutches and bands were toasted.

It turns out that TCI Ultimate Master Racing Overhaul Kit #579005 comes with all Alto Red Eagle clutches, Alto Red Eagle flex bands and Kolene steels are just plane junk and a big waste of money

The lesson I learned: Never trust a rebuild kit from any vendor if it contains Alto Red Eagle clutches, Alto Red Eagle flex bands and Kolene steels

So after reading lots of threads and articles about beefing up 5R55S specially for powered-added Mustangs s197, I ordered Level 10 PTS Automatic Bulletproof 5R55S Master Rebuilding Kit, while keeping TCI Jumbo Servos and input Shaft.

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...ild/index.html

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...d/viewall.html

Level 10 PTS Automatic Bulletproof 5R55S Master Rebuilding Kit
The Kit consist of:
  • 5R55W/S raybestos clutches
  • 5R55W/S OEM forward bands
  • 5R55W/S OEM forward Piston
  • 5R55W/S OEM Int. & O/D servos
  • 5R55W/S OEM oil filter
  • TransTech paper and rubber with sealing rings and bushing kit
  • Superior Transmission Parts, pressure relief valve kit #K060

I recommend buying Ford 5R55W/S OEM rebuilding kit along with Superior Transmission Parts, Shift Correction Package #Superior K5R55W/N/S

http://www.levelten.com/Level_10_PTS...fo110-5000.htm

Ford OEM 5R55W/S Master Rebuilding Kit
Ford #7L2Z-7H575-A
Motorcraft #MTK-K2700-F

which includes almost everything you need for a complete rebuild
  • All New OEM Clutches
  • All New OEM Steels (YOU WILL NEED STEELS!)
  • All New OEM Flex Bands
  • All New OEM Sealing Rings
  • All New OEM Metal Clad Seals
  • All New OEM Paper Gaskets (Valve Body Paper Gaskets are NOT included)
  • All New OEM O-Rings
  • All New OEM Gaskets

As it illustrated in the following diagram

you may need to add the following parts to the kit
  • OEM Valve Body Paper Gaskets
  • OEM Forward clutch piston
  • OEM Low reverse piston

Superior Transmission Parts Shift Correction Package #Superior K5R55W/N/S
Due to the factory design of no cooler flow cold, it is extremely temperamental to fill and get a correct level, as well as running extremely hot compared to others without flow control systems.
We finally broke through with our patent pending Sure-Cool Full Time Cooler Flow Valve along with enhanced Lube system that nearly Triples the Flow through the cooler and parts, especially the O.D. Planetary.
These Flow Control Upgrades virtually eliminate front Planetary Burn-up due to lack of Poor/ No lube.
This new system also furnishes a built in cooler bypass system that if the unit is extremely cold (fluid starts to gel) or in the event the cooler is blocked / restricted, flow to the parts still occurs - protecting your investment.

This New 5R55 W/N/S Shift Correction Package includes:
  • Our Ever Popular K060 "No Stick" Line Pressure Relief Valve Kit
  • New Lock-up upgrade system that allows an On-Off Type Apply that is proof the lock up apply does not have to be firm and harsh to be fixed
  • 3-4 Drum Piston return springs replace the often found fatigued originals, due to band and drum burn up
  • Addresses several TCC error & shift solenoid error codes as well as P0740
  • Keeps Solenoid Blocks, Parts and Components Cooler and well lubricated, with these New system Upgrades and Superior Quality "Real Steel" Components.
Backed with solid TransLab Engineered improvements from Superior Transmission Parts, Inc. you now have a choice.

In-Line Secondary Aux Transmission Cooler
I suggest either Ford OEM Transmission 4-rows Oil Cooler #9L3Z-7A095-A
DORMAN #918204

or Ford OEM HD Transmission 6-rows Oil Cooler #7L1Z-7A095-B

Summit Racing Remote Transmission Filter Kit #G4980 with MotorCarft FL-400S Filter

TCI High Preformance Input Shaft #579600
TCI® Hardened Input Shaft is constructed from hardened, aircraft quality Vaccu Melt 300 billet steel. Features increased lubrication flow and strength with a resized diameter that provides optimum stress distribution along the entire length of shaft and along the extended high gear splines to the oil ring.

And for more durability and cooled transmission I installed

Performance Automatic Deep Pan with Dipstick #PA27455KT

Here are photos of the dipstick

Eliminating Cold-Start Valve, valve body Modification

In order to modify cold-start valve to remain locked:

• Disassemble cold-start valve on the bench.
  • Relocate the big spring to the other side as it shown in the following photo for full trans-cooler flow.
How To: Eliminate Cold-Start Valve in 5R55W/S Valve-Body for Full Trans-Cooler Flow

Also I replaced the solenoid valve and torque converter with OEM (the new solenoid valve was updated design by Ford with a new part number)

The installation was a direct bolt on, only you need to fabricate a new bracket for the dipstick (originally designed to be fixed to the V8 bellhouse)

The only issue is that I may need to remove the exhaust Y pipe assembly if I need to change transmission oil filter in the future

After that I update the vehicle computer strategy at Ford dealer

The transmission now works better than before (there was a hasitation on 3rd gear and now it is gone)

with better response and more firm (not harsh)

Last thing, I just want to emphasize the importance of:
  • Eliminating oil pump end play by choosing the correct thrust washer.
  • proper adjusting the bands according to specs.

Useful File
http://downloads.bustedfingermotorsp...uals/5R55W.pdf

http://www.ratiotek.com/5r55w-complete.pdf

2008 Explorer XLT 4WD V6 - Lifted & Loaded
2000 Crown Victoria P71: 4.6 PI Engine Swap, MZT, 70mm TB, P&P Plenum, Steeda UDP, J-Mod, B&M Trans Deep-Pan, External Trans Oil filter, BOC Tuning

Last edited by The Electrician; 03-20-2014 at 09:52 AM.
The Electrician is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 06-02-2011, 04:03 PM   #2
Divemaster191307
Germantown, MD
'07 EB

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Damn! How much did all that work cost you?

Old 06-02-2011, 09:12 PM   #3
The Electrician
Makkah
2008 XLT 4WD V6

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
I got TCI Parts for good baregn at buyracingparts.com

http://www.buyracingparts.com/transm...s/5r55s-1.html

TCI Ultimate Master Racing Overhaul Kit #579005 - $630.00
TCI Intermediate Jumbo Servo Kit #576005 - $68.40
TCI Overdrive Jumbo Servo #576006 - $68.40
TCI High Preformance Input Shaft #579600 - $150.00

and from Summitracing.com, I got Performance Automatic Deep Pan with Dipstick #PA27455KT - $339.15

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PMA-PA27455KT/

shipping to forward facility in USA (Shopandship.com) then to Saudi Arabia - $627.98

OEM solenoid Pack - $393.10

OEM Torque Converter - $643.37

Intallation in a local transmission workshop - $550

Updating computer strategy at Ford dealer - $40

so total = $3510.67

2000 Crown Victoria P71: 4.6 PI Engine Swap, MZT, 70mm TB, P&P Plenum, Steeda UDP, J-Mod, B&M Trans Deep-Pan, External Trans Oil filter, BOC Tuning

Last edited by The Electrician; 06-02-2011 at 09:44 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:41 PM   #4
Ronin8002
Elite Explorer
Virginia
2008 XLT Ironman

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
I like that deep transmission pan...it looks like it is a great upgrade. Particularly because it has a dipstick.

Mods: 265/70/17 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ on 17x8 Black Rock Viper 900B wheels, Bentley style grille, Raptor style LED grille lights, Pacer performance clearance lights, 30" 180W LED light bar behind grille, BTF upper control arms, Fox 2.0 5" travel emulsion coilover shocks in front/rear Truxx spacers, 1" body lift, front skidplate under radiator, recovery shackle mounts
My Rig:http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...47#post3004247
Ronin8002 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:45 PM   #5
The Electrician
Makkah
2008 XLT 4WD V6

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
^^^^

yes very usefull, and it really help keep the transmission cold relativly, spcially with the heat of the desert

Old 06-17-2011, 05:43 AM   #6
Lukas2009
Cologne, Germany
2007 Eddie Bauer V6

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Cool! Thanks for the photos.
Lukas2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 11:46 AM   #7
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
The dipstick is a very worth while upgrade. Did you upgrade the bands as well?

Last edited by BrooklynBay; 01-04-2012 at 10:54 AM.
BrooklynBay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 04:20 PM   #8
The Electrician
Makkah
2008 XLT 4WD V6

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas2009 View Post
Cool! Thanks for the photos.
You're welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynBay View Post
The dipstick is a very worth while upgrade. Did you upgrade the bands as well?
Yes I did when I used the TCI Ultimate Master Racing Overhaul Kit #579005 which included Xtreme Performance HD frictions clutches, nitride steel plates and high performance flex bands with special heat treated struts.

Last edited by BrooklynBay; 01-04-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:23 PM   #9
not8taxi
queens, ny
02 XLT

Vehicle Specs

do you think that the overhaul kit you used from tci would work in a 5r55w transmission?
not8taxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:45 PM   #10
Ronin8002
Elite Explorer
Virginia
2008 XLT Ironman

Vehicle Specs

Allaa', a few questions about the transmission pan:

I take it you can now add fluid through the dipstick instead of pumping it in from the underside of the pan?

Is the dipstick calibrated (marked) for the correct fluid level or do you need to mark it yourself once you have determined the pan is full of fluid?

Have you been able to determine how much the extra 4 quarts of fluid has lowered the normal operating temperature of the transmission?

Mods: 265/70/17 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ on 17x8 Black Rock Viper 900B wheels, Bentley style grille, Raptor style LED grille lights, Pacer performance clearance lights, 30" 180W LED light bar behind grille, BTF upper control arms, Fox 2.0 5" travel emulsion coilover shocks in front/rear Truxx spacers, 1" body lift, front skidplate under radiator, recovery shackle mounts
Old 06-21-2011, 08:02 PM   #11
The Electrician
Makkah
2008 XLT 4WD V6

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by not8taxi View Post
do you think that the overhaul kit you used from tci would work in a 5r55w transmission?

Yes the overhaul kit and servo kits could be use for 5R55W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin8002 View Post
Allaa', a few questions about the transmission pan:

I take it you can now add fluid through the dipstick instead of pumping it in from the underside of the pan?

Is the dipstick calibrated (marked) for the correct fluid level or do you need to mark it yourself once you have determined the pan is full of fluid?

Have you been able to determine how much the extra 4 quarts of fluid has lowered the normal operating temperature of the transmission?

Yes James, you can add ATF from the dipstick and it is marked and easy to read, just when you are filling it (the engine should be running), add 3 extra quarts (compared to stock pan) and fill to the bottom line, then take a drive for a while and make sure transmission reached normal operation temperature, then complete ATF while the engine is running to the mid (extra oil will be spilled out from breathing vent on the top of bell housing)

I don't have a way to measure ATF temperature. but I don't think the pan will lower the normal operation temperature, because in the 5R55S there is a thermostat valve that control the circulation of ATF in the trans-cooler to preserve the optimum operation temperature from going down.
The pan will help to prevent the ATF from over heated because it is made of aluminum and it is more exposed to air flow under the truck. Also, with the extra oil it will be heated in slower rate. in other word it will help to preserve the optimum operation temperature from going up.

Last edited by The Electrician; 06-21-2011 at 08:26 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:16 PM   #12
Ronin8002
Elite Explorer
Virginia
2008 XLT Ironman

Vehicle Specs

Good information..thank you for the feedback!

Old 06-21-2011, 09:17 PM   #13
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
You could monitor the temperature if you connect a scan tool or a data logger to the OBD-II port.
BrooklynBay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:26 PM   #14
The Electrician
Makkah
2008 XLT 4WD V6

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Thank you BrooklynBay for the information

I'll try to prepare my laptop to be used as a data-logger with SCT LiveWire maybe next week

Old 06-22-2011, 07:24 PM   #15
not8taxi
queens, ny
02 XLT

Vehicle Specs

scanguage 2 best way to monitor the truck...

i love this thread

great info thanks

EDIT: for anyone else out there that is interested in the deep pan to add the dipstick to your truck...i found the pan for a cheap price...told ronin and the electrician about it...its backordered but buying it for cheap and waiting for it is still good for me... not sure where i could post the link but ill just do it here

http://www.cjponyparts.com/product.a...paign=shopping
not8taxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:32 PM   #16
Ronin8002
Elite Explorer
Virginia
2008 XLT Ironman

Vehicle Specs

I ordered mine today Going to work on some other things first before I install it so the backorder is no big deal.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:54 AM   #17
D Hook
Elite Explorer
Omaha, NE
02 explorer

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
It appears that the larger pan puts it closer to the exhaust and cat converter. Does the temperature from those two have a chance of heating up the fluid in the pan to an unacceptable temp? Would a heat shield do any good there?

*Registered Smart Ass in all 57 states
D Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:00 AM   #18
Ronin8002
Elite Explorer
Virginia
2008 XLT Ironman

Vehicle Specs

The passenger side converter has a shield already that should help. but I do see your point on the y-pipe being closer. I am considering putting some header wrap or making a heat shield for mine when I install it.

Old 07-17-2011, 12:37 AM   #19
The Electrician
Makkah
2008 XLT 4WD V6

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
I'm not quit sure if the exhaust y pipe will heat up the pan or not

I went beneath the truck many times and the pan is not over heated

I reason think is because, if truck is in drive the air flow will push all the heat backwards, and if the truck in stop the deep pan will receive the same amount of heat as the stock pan (heat moves upward)

when I receive the scangaugeII i'll have the readings regarding the ATF temperature for sure and post it here

Old 12-06-2011, 01:47 PM   #20
The Electrician
Makkah
2008 XLT 4WD V6

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
After only 8 months and 25K Mile of a complete overhaul using TCI Ultimate Master Racing Overhaul Kit #579005, the transmission quit on me again (this time I lost the auto function + reverse) with only P1700 code and when I dropped the transmission for a complete inspection, I found that I have damaged overdrive one way clutches (rotate free-wheal in both direction) and burned clutches and bands.

It turns out that TCI Ultimate Master Racing Overhaul Kit #579005 comes with all Alto Red Eagle clutches, flex bands and Kolene steels are just plane garbage and a big waste of money

The lesson I learned: Never trust a rebuild kit from any vendor if it contains Alto Red Eagle clutches, Alto Red Eagle flex bands and Kolene steels

so after reading lots of threads about beefing up 5R55S I ordered Level 10 PTS Automatic Bulletproof Rebuilding Kit 5R55S while keeping TCI Jumbo Servos and input Shaft.

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...ild/index.html

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...d/viewall.html
Attached Images

Last edited by The Electrician; 12-07-2011 at 07:37 AM.

Suggest this thread to friends: