Rojo Grande

Status
Not open for further replies.
Translation: Big Red!

I swear it followed me home.

006.jpg

007.jpg

1998 XLT----

I will call her Rojo for short. Scored real cheap, sohc bad chains blah blah out with all that and hopefully a new to it techieman33 V8 will be installed.

Many plans, 33" and no more this time. Keep IFS, body lift -4406, ho made bumpers, different wheels,sliders, some powdercoating and call it good.

016.jpg

015.jpg

Sitting next to her new playmate

013-1.jpg

020.jpg

The leather will clean

022.jpg

Previous owner was a Marlboro lover

021.jpg

023.jpg

The all important rust zone, which is rust free

019.jpg

And she came with 2 free books!

025.jpg

Although this one was crushed a tad

024.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This one was sitting behind a shop for a looooong time. I was just waiting for the price to come down to salvage level, but I do have a non salvage title. so all is good.
I might wash it tomorrow for better pictures. The finish is ok, just very dusty from sitting on a dirt lot for so long.

nice find Jon, I like the plans :)

That is going to be a good platform for what you want, is it going to get towed by the mounty or be driven to the trails.

Wooooo hooooooo! Congrats Jon. Let me know when the fun starts.

A V8, huh? Where I have heard that before?:scratch:

OT487028S.jpg

Nice!

Nice!!!

so nice find on the Explorer......:D

but....................................................................
what is up with the I Believe White Toyota 4 Runner in the back ground in this Pic ?

013-1.jpg

it is trying to hide in the background there ;)

Slept on this for a bit and thought Hmmmm,

I see an opportunity here.

I have always feared this sohc engine, but herein lies an opportunity to learn new things.

Doing the swap to V8 would require the following list:

New gas tank-fuel pump sender and lines to be compatible with the 2000 v8 hardware and PCM

The engine in question needs a bit of work-2 lower intake bolts snapped, no upper intake-

I would still need to address the transfer case ( 4406) and drive shaft issues

Would need another GEM and possibly some dash wiring, and cluster changes.

Now, since I have to pull the engine anyway, maybe I should just upgrade the timing chains and tensioners, then re install the engine. I was told it has compression, just one of the cams was off a tooth. It ran --

This would really speed things up and get it ready to wheel a lot faster.

Just thinking out loud. I don't need a speed demon.

New gas tank-fuel pump sender and lines to be compatible with the 2000 v8 hardware and PCM

Why would you need to change the fuel pump sender and lines?

Why would you need to change the fuel pump sender and lines?

And the tank. As I understand, the sensors on the tank are different, and, 98 is a return fuel system, whereas the 2000 is a returnless system. Fuel injector plugs are different, as well as other changes making a 98-2000 swap difficult.

ok, quick soap and water wash.

006-1.jpg

002.jpg

001.jpg

got this little dealio to fix too, but this will not be a show rig, so sandpaper and rattlecan=done.

003.jpg

4runner?

don't worry , the Toyota isn't his,, he's fixing it for somebody ,

Definitely not....33's was stressing my truck with that...

never thought to look until now--axle code 45 :(

That means no larger than 31's for a long time.

There's a 4:10 front diff in the for sale section for $50 and a rear axle from pickpull is $55. Are you going to go straight body lift on it or do a sloped body lift with spring over in the back, that was my plan if I had kept my last 2nd gen.

Keeping the v6 will definitely speed things up and should work good.

I'd give you the body lift of my ranger if you help take it off but don't know if it would work since its a 96.

Many plans, 33" and no more this time. Keep IFS, body lift -4406, ho made bumpers, different wheels,sliders, some powdercoating and call it good.

Gonna need to see some good pictures of the "Ho" that's making the bumpers.
:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Jon,

One thing I learned with my Ranger when doing the V8 swap is that I wished I would have stayed with the V6. Everything was there, just needed to rebuild the engine and all would have been well. Plus, with the 4.56 gears, the 2.9V6 pulled the 35's with ease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back