Switch Upgrade. . . | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Switch Upgrade. . .

Not much room for additional switches in the first generation Explorers, so after putting in a roll cage added a small piece of diamond plate to hold a switch or two. . .

Here's a look:
Old Panel.jpg

With the explosion of cheaper-priced LEDs with lower amperage draws, decided to add a few to the rig, but didn't like the idea of multiple unnamed switches of assorted sizes and colors. So here's my solution:
Switches Illuminated.jpg

Haven't wired them all in yet, but ran "power" to all the switches on ignition so the lower writing on the switch is illuminated once the vehicle is keyed, when switched "on", the diagram also illuminates. . .

The two "pods" in the upper corners of the pictures are the two interior lights used to supplement the light in the cabin.

Although not wired to the ****pit switch panel, I also added some these lights to the rear hatch - - the "on/off" switch (lighted with blue) is at the hatch, near the hatch lock.
Hatch Lights.jpg

Of course, all this wiring needs to be put in conduit, run to a fuse block, and labelled. . .
Fuses.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Paul
'91 Sport

Attachments

• Switches.jpg
    Switches.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 488

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Few more pictures. . .

Roof Rack LEDs:
Roof Rack Lights.jpg

Back Up LEDs:
Back-Up.jpg

'Squatch LEDs:
'Squatch.jpg

Important that these are high enough to momentarily blind Bigfoot . . .

Back Up and 'Squatch Combo:
Back and 'Squatch.jpg

Any thoughts of using these to impede tailgaters is purely coincidental . . .

Wider view of switch panel placement in cab:
Overhead Panel.jpg

And with several switches illuminated - - interior LEDs also lit:
Panel with Lights.jpg

Paul
'91 Sport

Paul that is really nice. I have quite a few lighting mods in my 2G, but yours are really nice. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks.

Started Phase 1 of the Rock Light upgrade...

Illuminated Switch:
Rock Light.JPG

Front View:
Rock Front.JPG

Rear View:
Rock Rear.JPG

Will need to work additional lights into the underside, but figured these four were a decent start. . . .

Thanks for looking,

Paul
'91 Sport

Looks great Paul. As always, top notch:chug:

Real nice!

I've been thinking of some of those switches as well. But space is at a premium. I hate to give up that cubby thing in the center console. But I might have to.

And space in my Expedition isn't much better even though it's a full size.

I see what you did there ;-)

Appreciate the comments, but just my take on what I've seen others do to their vehicles on this site and others - - Philbino, Stic-O, Rock Ranger to name a few. . .

The first generations have limited space for switches, so overhead appears to be the way to go, at least for me.

Now where am I going to position the Ham? ? ?

Paul
'91 Sport

Paging Dr. Geisel . . .

House, box, car, tree, train, dark, rain, boat...
giggle01.gif

Got it. Just not too keen on the green eggs. . . Well played.

Paul

Night Run. . .

. . . or at least a "jog" . . .

Met up with Phil to test out the new (for me) lights. . .
Paul-Phil Rock.jpg

Little fun in the snow. . .
Paul Rock.jpg

Phil leading the way. . .
Phil Rock.jpg

Paul
'91 Sport

I love the squatch switch, where did you get it?
Greg

well, thats' the one switch, yes, but what about the box? is it just a generic?

Rear Back-Up Light Change . . .

So a bit off the original post (Switch Upgrade) but related. . . Even though the rear back-up lights were "protected" between the dual tube rear bumper, the lights still protruded more than I'd like. You can see the rear lights here (non-illuminated) on the diamond plate aluminum trim piece behind the bumper.
'Squatch.jpg

So, since I had another purpose for these lights (Thanks, Phil), added a set of recessed lights to the aluminum plate.
Recessed.jpg

Like this set-up much better - - just looks "cleaner" and no real loss of illumination.

Also added a trailer plug (to the left of the light) for when I haul the "Adventure Hauler" or trailer the Buell to the track. . .
Recessed-Plug.jpg

Eliminates the need to lay the wiring and plug on the bumper when trailering. . .

Paul
'91 Sport

Hey Paul. I love this build. I was going to ask in the actual post but its in "elite" and I can not pm you either. I noticed the 4" lift with the SOA, everything I've read is showing 5.5 from the SOA. Did you do anything else in the front with the 4" to get it to sit the way it is with the 5.5 SOA? It looks great!

"Holy Thread Resurrection !"

Not only 5 years later, but a suspension question in the performance lighting section. . . all good, though.

Okay, so for this vehicle (Blue '91 Sport), it had what I referred to as a "SupeRancho" lift - the drop bracket for the TTB was from Superlift, it had pivot holes for the 5.5" kit and 4" kit. I just used the holes for the 4" kit. Radius arms were Rancho, until I broke one in Moab and had a new set fabbed by a local builder. Front coils were Superlift, but don't remember the rate, pretty sure they were 4". . . Rear suspension was SOA with an added leaf (or two). . .

So here's the one of the last pictures of the '91 Sport:
Fork (APR 20).jpeg

Hope that answers the question. . .

Paul

And since this is a lighting thread, here's the new switch panel from the '94"Sport":
Switch Panel (JAN 21).jpg

Overhead on a fabbed visor shelf (note rear view mirror in bottom of pic) Switches left to right: Interior dome light (round bezel under switch panel, 3 blanks, Rear Back-Up Lights, ARB Compressor, Rear Locker, Front Locker. . .

Happy Trails. . .

Back